Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 22648 times)

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Walking Dead
« on: November 01, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »
How freak'en sweet was the premiere last night!!!  I've barely touched the comic but it looks like I have to go get it now.   I dare anyone to nay-say Walking Dead.   

Ross, can you guys do an 80s Extraordinary League fighting zombies?
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
It was pretty a-fucking-mazing...

Didn't stray too far from the comic in some regards and I especially enjoyed some of the beautifully shot scenes straight out of the comic like the scene with Rick on horseback facing the ruined Atlanta skyline...

I'm really pumped for this show and it gives me something to look forward to on Sundays (besides my football team losing)...

AMC really knocked it out of the park on this one!
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
Anyone know if this is streaming online anywhere?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:43 PM »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
near perfect premiere - I just didn't care for the song they used at the end.

Patrick

• View Profile
The Walking Dead...
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
I can't help feeling like The Walking Dead is on the verge of "jumping the shark".

My gut feeling is based on the preview for the season finale and to be perfectly honest the non-canonical storyline looks really, really lame.

I feel like AMC has missed the mark here, especially because the source material is so strong and seems so easily adaptable to television.

Some might argue the excessive violence of the graphic novel essentially kills any chance of a faithful television adaption, but I think the violence and sexual undertones that appear in the source material could be easily toned down while retaining the best elements of the original story.

Ross, I'm curious as to what you think?

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead...
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »
I heard from a few friends that the wrighting staff has been fired. I havent seen it, due to the damn expensive cable in nixa! Wish i could get media com, but nooo have to do suddon link 120 bucks for basic cable. 

Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
I hope you're right Boyos and I hope they go back to what made the graphic novels so compelling in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the series has been great and pretty faithful to the spirit of the original material, but teasers from the season finale have me worried about the integrity of the writing and the future of the series...

I hope for the best though and look forward to next season.  :)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
In a strange way, I'm liking the critique of the American South that is present in the show so far that wasn't that prevalent in the comics.

Also, I  merged the two Walking Dead threads.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:08:12 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
I heard from a few friends that the wrighting staff has been fired. I havent seen it, due to the damn expensive cable in nixa! Wish i could get media com, but nooo have to do suddon link 120 bucks for basic cable. 

Darabont and Kirkman wrote like half of the episodes so far and they obviously aren't fired.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »

Earlier in the thread is a link to an online streaming of it. That's how I watch it. The quality is pretty good, but I think with the service they use, you'll only be able to watch one episode a day because of time limit restrictions.

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
Apparently I don't get AMC. But i have seen the first 4 episodes, and the show is pretty amazing, granted i've never read an issue of the series, but that only makes me more objective.
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 10:53:26 PM »
I can't help feeling like The Walking Dead is on the verge of "jumping the shark".

My gut feeling is based on the preview for the season finale and to be perfectly honest the non-canonical storyline looks really, really lame.

I feel like AMC has missed the mark here, especially because the source material is so strong and seems so easily adaptable to television.

Some might argue the excessive violence of the graphic novel essentially kills any chance of a faithful television adaption, but I think the violence and sexual undertones that appear in the source material could be easily toned down while retaining the best elements of the original story.

I'm glad someone else thinks this based on the preview.  I was very disheartened by the microscope scene with the two stupid cells fusing and doing something assy looking.  As a scientists, it was just ridiculous.  They should not try to explain the outbreak and the upcoming episode is worrying me greatly.  I won't judge it without seeing it, but the last two episodes have not gone the way I would want them to.

I don't think it has to stick to the comic story line.  I do think it should stay in line with the tone and ideas presented.  It has so much potential to be amazing and so much potential to totally ruin itself.  Let's hope for the former.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »

I'm glad someone else thinks this based on the preview.  I was very disheartened by the microscope scene with the two stupid cells fusing and doing something assy looking.  As a scientists, it was just ridiculous.  They should not try to explain the outbreak and the upcoming episode is worrying me greatly.  I won't judge it without seeing it, but the last two episodes have not gone the way I would want them to.

I don't think it has to stick to the comic story line.  I do think it should stay in line with the tone and ideas presented.  It has so much potential to be amazing and so much potential to totally ruin itself.  Let's hope for the former.

I like the show and I like the addition of Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker's redneck brother characters. I think they are a good addition to the cast even though they are not a part of the actual comic books. Norman Reedus' character has a sort of simplistic, honest approach to the group that I think was left out in the original story, and the fact that there are non-comic book characters takes away the railroad feeling that I know exactly what is coming...

Having said that, I think this show could be a victim of the "20th Century Fox/Xmen question": Do you make the big budget show for the lesser numbered comic book nerds that made the series popular, or do you make the big budget show for the masses that will take it a step further with far more opportunities for profit? Now, Fox completely fucked up the X-men but sold a hell of a lot of DVDs and movie tickets, video games, toys, etc to previously NON comic book fans at the expense of the Claremont era X-men fans that made making an X-men movie worthwhile to begin with.

I think as nerds we've suffered some pretty heinous bullshit in the past 10 years. Lucas murdered Star Wars, Fox killed the X-men and gave Deadpool laser-vision, comic book movies are getting very lame, and I think that "jump the shark" feeling might be that we're tensing our abdominal muscles in anticipation for a kick in the balls?

I like the show. I like some of the character additions and the writing so far has been knocking it out of the park. Until that changes I'm going to relax and enjoy it but I know what you mean. I'm nervous about the shark-jumpage too.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 12:35:47 AM »
I totally respect the opinions of the many posters on this thread.

Robot Master, I think you made a bunch of valid points, although I find the "redneck" characters annoying for the same reason that I find the antagonistic "buddy" in "buddy" movies so fucking annoying.

I think that you're right in saying that fans of the comic books should just take the zen approach and enjoy the show for what it is, but theres still that nagging voice that keeps thinking back to the final scene of the last episode...

Anyway, thanks for the levity and perspective.

;D