Author Topic: An Opening Vignette for my Next Session (CoC)  (Read 5343 times)

TPKthulhu

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
An Opening Vignette for my Next Session (CoC)
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:37:55 AM »
I've recently started a sort of mini-campaign of CoC for my players that takes place in the present. Right now they are about 1/3 in and I wanted to break things up by starting the next session with a (hopefully) short vignette.

What I am thinking of doing is having them wake up as a person who is already being held prisoner by the "cult" they are headed to. The prisoner wakes with little or no recollection of who they are or how they got there (hence no need for back story), but attempts to sneak out of his cell (which someone has left a way out of), and ultimately can meet up with the PCs later, or simply be recaptured, and...  ;)

What I am wondering is this, how shall I split up the character between my players? Should I simply do a time share (you have five minutes, then pass to the next player), or is there a more creative solution I am not thinking of?

Has anyone done something like this before? Any input is appreciated!
"Screw your idea check! I poke it with a stick!"

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
Re: An Opening Vignette for my Next Session (CoC)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:01:06 AM »
Well, some of them could be cult members, the ones on guard or like the one who gives the prisoner the water, or talks about how their death will be to the glory of Shubniggarath or whomever. But y'know remind the players that the prisoner is supposed to escape, maybe you could be the head jailor dood, OR you could be the prisoner!

I've never done a vignette before, but that is my idea.

I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Palladiumaniac

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
I've recently started a sort of mini-campaign of CoC for my players that takes place in the present. Right now they are about 1/3 in and I wanted to break things up by starting the next session with a (hopefully) short vignette.

What I am thinking of doing is having them wake up as a person who is already being held prisoner by the "cult" they are headed to. The prisoner wakes with little or no recollection of who they are or how they got there (hence no need for back story), but attempts to sneak out of his cell (which someone has left a way out of), and ultimately can meet up with the PCs later, or simply be recaptured, and...  ;)

What I am wondering is this, how shall I split up the character between my players? Should I simply do a time share (you have five minutes, then pass to the next player), or is there a more creative solution I am not thinking of?

Has anyone done something like this before? Any input is appreciated!

You could have more than one prisoner try escaping...have one for every player. Do a mass escape...roleplay it a little while, at least until they do get out. Then have the escapee's realize one in their midst might be in with the cultists...a squid in sheeps clothing, so to speak.

The second they realize something is fishy...

Switch out of the vignette and back to the regular game.

During the escape phase, make sure to never actually describe who's who of the prisoners (or make them all the same...20 something brunettes fer instance), so the investigators will have to suss out who the bad apple is. Of course all the other prisoners will be dead or recaptured by the time one of them comes running up to them, begging for help, covered in chum.

That's my input at least.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:23:48 AM by Palladiumaniac »
The Seede of Lovecraft and Siembieda B'mingled...to create the perfect gamer.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
vignette with 1 prisoner per player but make sure only 1 prisoner actually escapes and reaches the PCs. Every other prisoner must die a gruesome death.