Author Topic: Share your Best Prop Story  (Read 41881 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Share your Best Prop Story
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
While I'm creating share threads. Here's another one. Share a story of the best prop you used in a game. I decided to cheese it up one night and took the whole bloody map cliche way too far.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:21:40 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Best Prop Story
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Did somebody get his throat slitted while he was reading this map?  ;D

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
Did somebody get his throat slitted while he was reading this map?  ;D

Just the chicken...joking. It's fake blood ofc.  ::)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
Is it fake IN the game?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
Is it fake IN the game?

No. In the game it was a bloody map. Covered in several different types of bloody.

klaatu

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
I've got two stories -- one as a player and one as a GM.

As a player, I was in a one-shot Call of Cthulhu game where the GM, when in character as the creepy old coot who'd hired the investigators, had his girlfriend play the houseboy -- she was sleight, and had just shaved her head.  She served tea at the beginning of the session, and just kind of crouched next to him whenever she wasn't doing anything else.  It was extremely creepy.

As a GM, I was running a horror session of a sci-fi game, where the players were in a science research facility that had gone dark.  When they arrived, the lights were on but nobody was home, etc.  The facility was in two pieces that were connectd by an elevator, and I couldn't hav ethem using it too much because if they compared notes too often they'd figure out what was going on.  My solution was, every time someone took the elevator, I'd hum "The Girl from Ipanema" until someone started gritting their teeth, then say "Ding!  You're there."  They stayed split up, and I still get compliments on that session years later, so I think it went over well.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:45:46 AM »
had his girlfriend play the houseboy -- she was sleight, and had just shaved her head. 

what does that mean, im confused. But sound creepy none the less.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »
Best props...used to be in a D&D game with someone who was in a pottery class. At the DM's request, she made small props for the game on occasion. The coolest was a couple of small coins that were part of a puzzle that we were needing to solve. I don't remember a lot of the details at this point, but we had to use the coins to translate something.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

klaatu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »
had his girlfriend play the houseboy -- she was sleight, and had just shaved her head. 

She was shortish, and slender, so she could almost pass for a boy, and she was basically a live-action prop playing the old guy's very creepy servant.  (She brought drinks, took empties, etc.)

She had a chair in the back corner of the room where she just kind of kept to herself when we weren't in the creepy old guy's house.  When we did get to the house, she'd come back around the table, so she was only "there" when the servant was around.

It was very cool.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
Quote from: klaatu
every time someone took the elevator, I'd hum "The Girl from Ipanema" until someone started gritting their teeth, then say "Ding!  You're there."

Hilarious.  Incredible.  I love it.
(I'm probably going to steal it when/if I find a gaming group.)
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:15 AM »

She was shortish, and slender, so she could almost pass for a boy, and she was basically a live-action prop playing the old guy's very creepy servant.  (She brought drinks, took empties, etc.)

She had a chair in the back corner of the room where she just kind of kept to herself when we weren't in the creepy old guy's house.  When we did get to the house, she'd come back around the table, so she was only "there" when the servant was around.

It was very cool.

wow, just wow, thats like some borderline s&m shit! or justa very awsome wife, who would do anything for her husban.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »

It was very cool.

wow, just wow, thats like some borderline s&m shit! or justa very awsome wife, who would do anything for her husban.

I'm slightly unnerved just thinking about it
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

arthwollipot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 08:05:14 AM »
The best prop I created was a business card for an NPC. I've been building up the "Men In Immaculately Tailored Suits" as a semi-antagonistic organisation for my players, and this is the first time they'd actually had a friendly encounter with one of them. To make the card, I went to Google Images and did a search for "creepy guy in suit". It turned out pretty good:

This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
To make the card, I went to Google Images and did a search for "creepy guy in suit".

If only I could get my students to research / talk about their research like this...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
I used a clear plastic tray for a water trap once. I pre-measured how much water was needed to fill the "trap" and set aside several glasses with each round's worth of new water.

I put the character's minis in the tray along with the other props (wooden blocks and various other plastic items) and managed to convince the players it was to keep everything in order.

When they triggered the trap midfight I started pouring water into the tray round by round and informed them that the trap was to scale. The halfling was not please. Wood blocks started to float, causing parts of the battle field to crumble and fall, which I said was destruction and debre caught in the raging waters.

Players survived pretty easily (I'd wanted to really threaten them but it didn't work out that way) and the visual elements made it much more engrossing.