Author Topic: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)  (Read 709319 times)

Henry Hankovitch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)
« Reply #630 on: September 13, 2014, 04:05:30 AM »
Just listened to the Gencon economics panel, and though there was plenty of good stuff, what really blew my mind was the Marxist interpretation of slasher films.  The upper-middle-class protagonists are placed into a setting of real or implied poverty because the trappings of poverty are a threat to their sense of security... Brilliant!

...Which is now making me think of that bit in Pervert's Guide to Ideology where he talks about Titanic as the story of the upper class using the culture of the lower classes to refresh their sense of vitality.  Slasher films kind of work in the exact opposite way...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:33:18 AM by Henry Hankovitch »

Klivian

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
A "Call the Midwife" CoC adventure is definitely needed.  I always suspected there was more to Sister Monica Joan's insanity than Alzheimer's. 

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
When I heard that reference in the last actual play I was suddenly thankful for my wife's Netflix marathons.

RadioactiveBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »
A "Call the Midwife" CoC adventure is definitely needed.  I always suspected there was more to Sister Monica Joan's insanity than Alzheimer's.

As a British listener, it's really strange for me to hear you guys talking about what is, for me, middle-aged-lady TV. Though, yeah, our cuisine isn't great. Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is great, but beyond that.. Yeah, my stomach is a fan of globalism.

If you're looking for more British TV for inspiration, I really recommend Peaky Blinders. It's the right period (post WW1 Birmingham), deals with insanity and conspiracy from the perspective of a small local bookie's gang. Several major characters have severe mental problems following the horror of the Somme. And a major inciting incident in the first season's story is a petty heist at a factory ending up being something They Weren't Expecting when they nabbed the wrong shipment, which can go Cthulhu pretty fast.

Also it has Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil, which is nice.

applewood

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 16, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Just finished the 100th episode special.  I hope Caleb someday plays the paraplegic 12 year old boy who cons the other players into taking damage and dying for him. Brilliant if he can pull it off.

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 24, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
I enjoyed playing old World of Darkness with my friends and I think the backstory of Mage and Vampire make for great dramatic backdrops.  I unabashedly love most of the setting and I think the simplicity of the system has value.

Whenever I say this, someone inevitably drops a hair raising story about roleplaying with some nest of what can be charitably be called people who were far too into WoD.  These stories make me grateful that I grew up on the west coast and played with rational people even though we were teenagers.   Also I never went to Cons or Larps. That may have something to do with my favorable experiences as well.

When I heard Caleb would never play World of Darkness I was all prepared to write a persuasive post about how the system is actually very good for narrative combat that would complement the Stokesian GMing style and the setting has a lot of dramatic depth that he could plunder, etc. etc.

Then I listened to Caleb's story about the Fun Factory and World of Darkness. http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2013/01/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-82-back-that-story-up/

Hear that? That's the sound of me crumpling up all my arguments and throwing them in the trash.

(Seriously from ribbing Ross about Cinnabar to that story at the end, I was howling with laughter)

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #636 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Oh, man. I didn't remember the details of the Fun Factory story, so I relistened to the episode. Wow.

But I agree with you about World of Darkness, Twisting H. All through High School, I really wanted to play Mage with somebody. But a combination of parental disapproval, lack of gamer friends, and introversion meant I never got the chance. I'd still like to give it a spin someday, though.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Zombieneighbours

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 29, 2014, 03:45:53 AM »
Anyone else starting to jones for a caleb run game? I'm starting to jones for a Caleb run game! *sits in the corner shivering.*

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 29, 2014, 04:09:55 AM »
Anyone else starting to jones for a caleb run game? I'm starting to jones for a Caleb run game! *sits in the corner shivering.*

Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

crawlkill

• helo
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 29, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
He has felt a little absent from oneshots lately. And I guess he's not in Masks. He's all over the place in B-Sides 2, though, if you haven't gotten em yet! There are, like...five, seven Caleb-run games, and he plays in more.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #640 on: December 29, 2014, 01:55:41 PM »
man i'm a terrible dealer - first 100 hits were free and only now i'm charging for caleb games

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 29, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
man i'm a terrible dealer - first 100 hits were free and only now i'm charging for caleb games

You are just playing the long game Ross. You got people begging you to take their money for Caleb games now and they think it was their idea. That is the mark of a great dealer.

Zombieneighbours

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 29, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
Ah, that sweet song of the corners. Got that B-sides! Got that B-sides!

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 31, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »

*twitch... scratch scratch* How many money units for another Caleb campaign? 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:02:54 PM by Claive »
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

crawlkill

• helo
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 01, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
he's mentioned on the talk podcast that he has a whole conspyramid written out for NBA...and that he wants to run Unknown Armies =| if Caleb ran UA for RPPR my world would end. too many favorite things all in one place