Author Topic: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)  (Read 709846 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)
« Reply #705 on: May 27, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
If you ask, it will be...

This should be a new Dread Gazebo meme.
Liquid Water?

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread
« Reply #706 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
What exactly did he say that lead you to make that picture? It looks rather specific.

Good one thou
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

CADmonkey

• View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread
« Reply #707 on: May 27, 2016, 05:40:29 PM »
What exactly did he say that lead you to make that picture? It looks rather specific.

In the latest Red Markets AP, Caleb found himself in a battle with his chair, over possession of his own shoe. 
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

RadioactiveBeer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 27, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »
When I was listening I was sorely tempted to start the hashtag "#SaveCalebsShoe".

Lordsloth

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 31, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
Looks like one of those political cartoons. :)
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #710 on: May 31, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »
From episode 9 of The Brutalists:

"Pay for TacNet! I am OWED! I am owed so much!"
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2016, 02:59:30 AM »
From episode 9 of The Brutalists:

"Pay for TacNet! I am OWED! I am owed so much!"

This was so so good. 

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »
Hey Caleb. In the NPC cast interview you mentioned you liked exploring the space of economically disadvantaged people encountering cosmic horror.

I have a recommendation.

Children of the Old Leech

Ostensibly a bunch of authors playing in the mythos of Laird Barron, Tenebrionidae by Scott Nicolay and Jesse James Douthit-Nicolay, details what happens when a hobo riding the rails in southern ghost towns runs into Barron's carnivorous cosmos. There are parts of this that remind me of Ligotti's descriptions of supernatural places.

https://www.amazon.com/Children-Old-Leech-Tribute-Carnivorous-ebook/dp/B00LHDTDGG?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&redirect=true&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

The underlying irony is that malignant cosmic horrors also see economic success as an irrelevant illusion.

It is very good.

--------

Regarding the Aberrant in Episode #9 and the above discussion about tac-net.

Hooligantuesday
June 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Did nobody else notice that Caleb basically just made Tac-Net into an aberrant monstrosity?

:o

-----

Also a Red Markets expansion book that detailed Left 4 dead aberrant isn't a bad thing. I understand wanting to be completely original in the core book, but as a customer I don't see a problem with a direct port of existing zombie archetypes into Red Markets as an homage or using those ideas as inspiration.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 01, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
Caleb, I've started listening to the After Hours podcasts and the review of that Judge's Guild Traveller adventure reminded me:  You mentioned reading a bunch of rpgs with financial/economics systems in them, did you look at Traveller?  If you haven't, I'm not suggesting you've missed something, I'm just curious to hear your opinion on it.  In my own experience, the default mode of play in Traveller is "Free Merchants with a Tramp Freighter" which often turns into a game of "Papers and Paycheques" (but then again I've only ever played Traveller with bureaucrats).

And I think I may actually be more interested to hear your opinion of some of the fiction that Traveller was inspired by, like H. Beam Piper's Space Viking.  In fact, I'd love to see your face the first time you lay eyes on the illustration of the "Gilgameshers" (who thankfully didn't make it into Traveller).

And also, I'm amazed that you actually watched all of the Atlas Shrugged movies.  I had to watch the King Vidor adaptation of The Fountainhead in college; that was enough Ayn Rand to last me a lifetime, you could not pay me to read anything she's written or sit though another film adaptation of her work.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #714 on: January 01, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
Nothing fancy to say here, other than I ordered a physical copy of The Devotees! In a week or so I should have all the EP game books.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 02, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »

And I think I may actually be more interested to hear your opinion of some of the fiction that Traveller was inspired by, like H. Beam Piper's Space Viking.  In fact, I'd love to see your face the first time you lay eyes on the illustration of the "Gilgameshers" (who thankfully didn't make it into Traveller).

Love hearing about what novels and media inspired RPGs originally.

If you didn't already know, A Canticle for Leibowitz was the primary spark for the Fallout franchise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

I put it up there with Dune and the Asimov Foundation Series. It's that good.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 02, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »

Love hearing about what novels and media inspired RPGs originally.

Yeah, Traveller isn't solely based on Piper's books, but if you read any of his 'Terro-Human Future History' stories, you'll find Traveller ingredients in them.

If you didn't already know, A Canticle for Leibowitz was the primary spark for the Fallout franchise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

Yep, I read it in highschool and quite liked it (unlike a lot of classic sf that I tried to read back then, actually).

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #717 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure Caleb's game history and games that have been recorded for RPPR is pretty much the same - i.e. no Traveller.

CapitainLazar

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Ongoing fan, still trying to herd cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
Alright, I don't usually come to forums not already on a site I visit, but I feel like RPPR deserves it.

Naturally, my first post will be gushing about one of my favorite members of the crew.

As we're here, there's no point in disguising the fact that said member is Caleb.

I am extremely close to finishing absolutely every posted RPPR, be it on the main podcast or actual play, that involves Caleb. Including Haunting multiple times. He's really one of the best parts of the podcast for me.

It's actually getting a little hard to listen to the games that don't have him in it, because he makes everything so much better just by being there. Including Aaron. That's awfully hard to do, but somehow he does it.

Caleb is the type of player that most DMs would hate, he points out the flaws in the logic, be it his own or others, comes up with insanely creative solutions for problems with limited resources, and is a good DM in his own right. It's not easy to DM for other DMs, but somehow both Caleb and Ross manage to pull it off. And I have to give them massive props for that.

If I had absolutely any internet money, being the poor teenager that I am, I would have supported him multiple times already. Don't worry Caleb, I'll be getting a job soon. Just turned 18. Get ready for some sweet Patreon or Residual fees, depending on whether or not I could adequately run No Soul for my group.

I've been going on quite long enough, so I'll end this by saying thank you for everything. Really.
The long suffering cat herder, a noble beast, and one who has absolutely no concept of what to expect at any given moment.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #719 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:09 AM »
RPG writers don't get royalties for their work, in general, but supporting Arc Dream is worth your support as well. You can always jump in a Patreon for one month to download the entire backlog and then stop.