General Category > Role Playing Public Radio Podcast

Podcasting FAQ

(1/4) > >>

clockworkjoe:
hey

so a bunch of people keep asking me: How is Podcast formed?

So

Let's do a thread about it.

Here is an email I wrote a while back about this topic.

You need a few things to make a podcast:

1. Audio production tools (recording equipment, audio editing software) At the very minimum, you need a mic that records to your computer and some software to edit the sound.

2. Website with content management system (web hosting, FTP, CMS software)

The options available are incredibly diverse and it can be bewildering figuring out what you should use. Our setup is like this:

2 Shure M57 microphones on desktop stands with pop filters hooked up to a Tascam US122l audio interface which is connected to my Macbook Pro. I record with Garageband 09 and then edit in it as well. The only other software for production I use is Levelator. I would definitely recommend the microphone and Garageband if you use a mac. Keep in mind if you get the M57, you need to get some kind of audio interface to record directly to a computer.

Keep in mind there's always going to be a cost vs quality tradeoff when you're dealing with audio. If you want a crystal clear podcast, you need to take some time and money to get a decent mic and learn some basic audio production skills.

As for the web side of things, I use wordpress  and the powerpress plugin. slangdesign.com is hosted on bluehost.com which costs a little over 100 bucks per year and has practically unlimited bandwidth. Podcasts eat up bandwidth so keep that in mind when choosing a host.

LINKS
I talk about setting up a recording studio: http://www.pulpgamer.com/genconseminars/134171/setting-up-the-studio/

Recording game session threads (for AP podcasts) http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=495.0

Another panel I did at gencon about podcast content: http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=625.0

ThnJonWasAZmbie:
How viable of a choice is the Zoom H2 for round table podcast episodes? What would be the negatives?

Tadanori Oyama:

--- Quote ---How viable of a choice is the Zoom H2 for round table podcast episodes? What would be the negatives?
--- End quote ---

In my recordings I've found the quality of the mike to be a problem for open area recordings. Unless I'm running a game in a controlled space, like a free standing home or especially enclosed room, it tends to pick up whatever else is in the background, especially if the sensativity is set above "low". You also end up with some people being louder than others unless everyone is equally distant from the recorder and speaks at about the same volume.

For a podcast (as opposed to an AP) you'd have slightly different problems. People who aren't "on air" wouldn't be able to talk or do anything noisy because the recorder is 360 degrees, so whatever they do will be caught especially if you use a leveler on the final product (which I recommend since it evens people's different voice levels out quite a bit). With directional mikes you can pass them from one person to another and they'll only really record the person that their pointed at.

Depending on the tone of your podcast you might have to invoke a raise your hand before you speak policy to prevent people talking over one another accidentally. If you like the round table, open forum tone than just let everyone talk and you should be fine.

Joven:
Should clear up any questions:

Shallazar:
Hey Ross! What about your Frapsing? Do you use the same Mic as you do for regular episodes? What's the recording process for lets say, the Dedicated server video?

I've started fiddling with it and I record to audacity my audio and use fraps for the vidjya game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version