Author Topic: 30 Days of Synnibarr  (Read 48337 times)

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Days of Synnibarr
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Wait until you get to the equipment chapter. >=D
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »
Day 4: Pages 50-68

More characters.  I am slightly disturbed that I seem to have developed something of a morbid fascination with the tome.  Mr. McCracken just seems to have some sort of natural gift to come up with such elaborate and yet arbitrary backstories for these "class/races."  I am beginning to see potential causes for trepidation, so I must strive to temper my "enthusiasm" with cold analytical thinking.  Very well, the second half of the "class/races:"

Dwarf:  Despite what other fantasies may have said, dwarves actually gain speed and nimbleness from their small stature.  They know almost every language and easily learn and respect customs from every other culture.  And they can teleport.

Giant:  Giants seem to be like vikings from old and not necessarily reliable tales, but only if you made the vikings exponentially more viking-y.  They sail and are generally crazy tough and wild.  Not only that, but they can disguise themselves as "normal" humans by shrinking to half their size.

Gnome:  A mysterious race, they can speak telepathically with plants and animals.  Most telling however, I find is the first sentence in their description, transcribed here, "Gnomes are born wherever Gnomes are born, usually during winter."

Mage Warrior:  Really just mages, I am not entirely sure why the warrior was added.

Mutant:  As one might expect, they have mutations.  It seems however, that they do not actually know what mutations they have and must be properly schooled to unlock their abilities.

Ninja:  They are stealthy, poison brewing, assassins.  It seems best not to mess with them as their attacks come at the speed of bullets and lasers.

Psielf:  This group of psychics distinguish themselves by creating psychic weapons and armor from sheer willpower.  They can also climb on any surface thanks to an adhesive substance that they excrete from their very pores.

Shadow Master:  Shadow masters unlock their potential by being force to drink a strange potion as a child, driven insane by aforementioned potion, and then recovering with the help of their shadow master elders.

Shadow Warrior:  Originally created by shadow masters as guards and protectors, they still guard and protect obsessively (despite being granted their freedom).

Shaman:  They are all North American Indians who can cast magic by chanting and singing.  They denote rank by sewing feathers onto their leather garments, and all shamans have descended from an initial 10 mother and father shamans.

Golden and Scarlet Tiger:  I wonder if perhaps in my distracted mindset I imagined the properties of the tigers.  So far as I understand it, they are martial artists dressed in tiger ears that become surrounded in fire when using their abilities.  They perform basic chores and cooking because they don't need to sleep.

Mage Tiger:  A tiger who learns magic instead of magic fire.  They seem much more like mage warriors than the actual mage warriors...

Wereman:  I'm not sure why they are called weremen as it just doesn't seem to make sense.  Aside from that, they seem to be strange, modified men, much like Wolverine, but if instead of science, they were fiddled on with magic.

Winged Warrior:  Natural hunters, they have powerful wings of feathers like steel.  These can function as weapons as well.  Apparently the most terrifying winged warriors are those that can become invisible.

Meta Note:
I thought I'd share this because it gives a better feel for the WoS.  Most if not all of the descriptions of these "class/races" are based off of a character at 1st level (as in they have these powers at first level)...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:50:37 AM by Mckma »

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 03:29:09 AM »
Two notes: Giants, specifically Ice Giants are amazingly overpowered, even for Synnibar.

Weremen (I love the 'class' it's so silly) are basically beam-catchers who then reflect them back for huge damage. Also hilarious.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:49 AM »
What happens when one group of weremen attacks another group of weremen with beam weapons?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
Lots of glowing, assuming the beams don't overload the weremen's Maximal Beam Storage Capacity. After that is hit, they begin taking damage as normal.

Also you missed the Raccoon, Talking.

They have skills with explosives and rocketry.

ROCKET. RACCOON.

I love Synnibarr.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:30:13 AM by Moondog »

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »
Also you missed the Raccoon, Talking.

Shh...

[Whisper]They don't come up until later[/Whisper]

:P

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
I love that Alchemists get a bag of holding that kills anything because you know McCracken had played a game of D&D in the past where he put a person in a bag of holding and argued that the person would die and the DM shot him down.

I see him now . . . Raven McCracken sits at an old schoolhouse desk with pen in hand as he furiously scribbles his very first character class. Before he has created the world of Synnibarr, before he has established anything else about his game, he writes one sentence on a sheet of paper:

Bag of holding kills people . . . that'll show Dave.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
I love that Alchemists get a bag of holding that kills anything because you know McCracken had played a game of D&D in the past where he put a person in a bag of holding and argued that the person would die and the DM shot him down.

I see him now . . . Raven McCracken sits at an old schoolhouse desk with pen in hand as he furiously scribbles his very first character class. Before he has created the world of Synnibarr, before he has established anything else about his game, he writes one sentence on a sheet of paper:

I can see that as well.

Also, I love that in old school D&D a portable hole + a rope was an instant hiding place.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
Dwarves can teleport.

DWARVES CAN TELEPORT.

for no reason.

Oh Synnibar.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

I can see that as well.

Also, I love that in old school D&D a portable hole + a rope was an instant hiding place.

Assuming they cannot exit the bag from the inside (or do not have the means to puncture it, which will immediately ruin it, and send the contents flying everywhere), creatures in a Bag of Holding will begin to suffocate in a number of rounds dependent on their size and the type of the bag, as they have only a finite amount of air.

Of course when you have something that can hold 250 cubic feet worth of stuff and thus has that much space for air, suffocation is going to take a very long time, making killing someone with a bag of holding nearly impossible and silly to try.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »
That seems to be a bit of a flavor choice, I have always played that a bag of holding's physical form cannot be harmed whilst you are inside it's extra dimensional space because you cannot interact with the other dimension while in your new pocket dimension. So hold person + bag of holding is a pretty easy way to kills someone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:41:31 AM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »
I disagree, as the description of the Bag of Holding clearly states "If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined." Emphasis mine.

Further, while items are held in stasis (allowing you to store lit torches safely) creatures and magical effects are not, thus making Hold Person (which has a duration of only 1 round/caster level) and a Bag of Holding (which holds exactly 10 minutes of air for a Medium creature, 20 for a Small, and 5 for a Large) impossible to use as a clever murder method unless you're either such high level that your spell lasts for 100 rounds or you've abused metamagic to a similar degree.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
All items inside a bag of holding are lost if the bag is overweighted or otherwise damaged from the inside. I assume this includes people/monsters too.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
That's a very fair point. I hadn't considered that.

Of course, what it means by 'lost' is up for grabs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:02:58 PM by Moondog »

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
Stop it! Just stop debating this! You're enabling the McKraken's of the world!

These types of discussions are exactly how we got a book full of insta-death magic bags, weremen that bounce lasers back at each other like 7th-grade Earth Science prism experiments, and dwarves that, for some damned reason, can teleport.

You'll drive us all mad with this insane quest, Mckma! Doom! DOOOOOOOOM!