Author Topic: Road Trip nominated for Ennie Award  (Read 9070 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Road Trip nominated for Ennie Award
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/?page_id=2156

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip nominated for Ennie Award
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
Oh nos, Ross' head just got bigger. Now it's starting to eat south Springfield.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
I'm ennie ross ennie payton ennie with ennie role ennie playing ennie public ennie radio ennie and ennie I ennie am ennie an ennie ennie award ennie winning ennie author ennie.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
I'm ennie ross ennie payton ennie with ennie role ennie playing ennie public ennie radio ennie and ennie I ennie am ennie an ennie ennie award ennie winning ennie author ennie.

Come on, you could fit at least two more "eenie"s into that sentence...

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
I'm ennied out

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
as long as you vote for road trip (july 15 to the 24th) I don't care how many times you say ennies

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
I've got to see what Road Trip is up again. Should be funny to watch them try to compete.

EDIT: Wait a second, your against Targets of Opportunity? There weren't any scenarios in that book where there?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:33:44 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
I've got to see what Road Trip is up again. Should be funny to watch them try to compete.

EDIT: Wait a second, your against Targets of Opportunity? There weren't any scenarios in that book where there?

vote for road trip

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
Congratulations! 

Vote Early and Vote Often! 

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
copypasta from Fenarisk on the the Something Awful forums about one of Road Trip's competitors - the iron lich

The Iron Lich adventure was made for 4e by the "Fourthcore" folks, people who wanted to make very difficult but fun and rewarding adventures for 4e D&D to prove old school games could still be played.

Instead what we got was plenty of save or dies, no in-game information to tell players just what was needed to kill the lich (if you didn't get 3 specific items and use them in specific ways, if the iron lich grab attacked any of the players it was immediate death, no saving throws), and plenty of tomb-of-horror-style traps that sucked out a ton of healing surges. Also SOME of the fights used an xp budget, some didn't, and the lich was a 3 stage stat block that was easily four times the xp budget of a solo meant for the level, because it wasn't even meant to be fought normally (or it'd be a TPK).

There were also mechanics where if the PLAYER'S birthday was in a certain month they couldn't be resurrected and thus the module would be unwinnable. Later with all the criticisms that it never used skill challenges, proper 4e balancing, or the strengths of the system the fourthcore guy quit saying the community was acidic and he took his toys and ran off trying.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an Ennie nomination for best adventure!

http://slamdancr.com/wp/2011/02/sat...-the-iron-lich/

Edit: Also the "leaderboard" for points module style went to the guy who created it and his own group before it was officially closed because they were the first to win with maximum points!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
copypasta from Fenarisk on the the Something Awful forums about one of Road Trip's competitors - the iron lich

The Iron Lich adventure was made for 4e by the "Fourthcore" folks, people who wanted to make very difficult but fun and rewarding adventures for 4e D&D to prove old school games could still be played.

Instead what we got was plenty of save or dies, no in-game information to tell players just what was needed to kill the lich (if you didn't get 3 specific items and use them in specific ways, if the iron lich grab attacked any of the players it was immediate death, no saving throws), and plenty of tomb-of-horror-style traps that sucked out a ton of healing surges. Also SOME of the fights used an xp budget, some didn't, and the lich was a 3 stage stat block that was easily four times the xp budget of a solo meant for the level, because it wasn't even meant to be fought normally (or it'd be a TPK).

There were also mechanics where if the PLAYER'S birthday was in a certain month they couldn't be resurrected and thus the module would be unwinnable. Later with all the criticisms that it never used skill challenges, proper 4e balancing, or the strengths of the system the fourthcore guy quit saying the community was acidic and he took his toys and ran off trying.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an Ennie nomination for best adventure!

http://slamdancr.com/wp/2011/02/sat...-the-iron-lich/

Edit: Also the "leaderboard" for points module style went to the guy who created it and his own group before it was officially closed because they were the first to win with maximum points!

Lulz
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »
tough break ross, being last on your ballot.

oh and you should also forward some of your NW ransom material for the ennies next year, i'd vote for that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:04:47 PM by Kroack »

NaturaFictor

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
Hey this is Fenarisk from the SA forums and I voted for you out of spite just hating Iron Lich.

Also I guess Road Trip is good or something, if you like to play a game of BABIES (just kidding I voted you #1)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
...if you like to play a game of BABIES (just kidding I voted you #1)

You must have listened to "The Night of the Squashed Cat" AP.