Author Topic: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)  (Read 419987 times)

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)
« Reply #405 on: June 26, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
This podcast reviews bad books and makes fun of them. I enjoyed this episode about God's Debris, a book by Scott Adams http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/05/29/082-gods-debris-w-lauren-oneal/

I bookmarked some of those fishing shows. Look pretty entertaining.

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
Reminds me of a podcast I keep meaning to get into called Your Book is Why Daddy Drinks (or something like that)

www.whydaddydrinks.net/

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 30, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »
Wanted to share with you folks some photos from my trip to the Diefenbunker: A Day at the Bunker

The Diefenbunker was an “Emergency Government Headquarters” bunker built upwind of Ottawa in 1959, to house the upper echelons of Canada’s civilian government & military for 30 days in case of a nuclear war.  The bunker was nicknamed “The Diefenbunker” after the Prime Minister who commissioned it, John Diefenbaker, by the press as a joke.  It's existence was supposed to be secret, but the press found out about it before construction was completed.  The Canadian military, afraid of provoking suspicion, did not restrict the airspace over the construction site, and a reporter simply rented a plane and took aerial photos of the bunker under construction.  Diefenbaker never actually visited the bunker, and swore he would never use it after finding out that his family would not be allowed to join him in the event a nuclear war actually occurred. Subsequently, in every nuclear wargame scenario played out by the Canadian military, Diefenbaker refused to go to the bunker and died with his family in Ottawa each time!  Only one Canadian PM ever actually visited the Diefenbunker:  Pierre Elliott Trudeau spent a day touring the bunker shortly before cutting their operating budget in half.  The Diefenbunker was finally decommissioned in 1994, and has now been turned into a museum.

My photo album is too big to share here (link above), but here's a few highlights:

Diefenbunker Entrance by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Welcome to CFB Carp by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

In the Blast Tunnel by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Lounge by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Cafeteria by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

War Cabinet by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Emergency Prepardness Canada by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Emergency Prepardness Canada by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Exit Through Blast Tunnel by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Gone With the Blastwave by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Diefenbunker Loot by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

And of course, there's plenty of photos of corridors:

Corridor by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #409 on: July 02, 2017, 01:51:38 AM »
damn those are good photos. Dig the lounge pic especially. Does the book have good maps/floor plans?

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
damn those are good photos. Dig the lounge pic especially. Does the book have good maps/floor plans?

It does have floor plans, but they're basically these, scanned & cleaned up a little:

Floor Plan by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

And they're also not complete.  There's a vault that was to house Canada's gold reserves which is accessible by a tunnel at the lowest level which isn't shown on the plans (though it is part of the tour).  The plans also don't show the blast tunnel itself, and there's a vehicle garage with an entrance to the northwest of the blast tunnel entrance which may or may not be accessible from inside the bunker, but the access lane & garage doors still seem to be there.

It's possible that the original Architectural/Structural/Mechanical/Electrical drawings are stored in the National Archives, which is a ten minute walk from work.  I might try to check that out sometime.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:09 PM »
Don't usually share mecha stuff here (that's what social media is for) but I thought in this case I'd make an exception.  I give you:

Maschinen Krieger Adventure Time

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

Bonus points if you can find Vaporwave without the Find function.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 15, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
Neill Blomkamp's latest short:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Filmed in the Diefenbunker.  Some of the locations from Zygote are in my photos just a few posts back, recognize any of them?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #414 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
Need to figure out how to make 2d images from 3d models so I can make a fan scenario of Zygote.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
Need to figure out how to make 2d images from 3d models so I can make a fan scenario of Zygote.
Well first you get yourself a copy of 3D Studio...

Looking at renderings & screencaps of the creature on Ian Spriggs' ArtStation page, I'm reminded of a D&D edition wars argument about hit points & healing.  If you take the meat points* argument seriously, then the zygote is what I think a high-level PC in D&D would look like.  I've argued (on other forums) that if hit points = meat points, then when PCs in D&D level up and get more hp, they must grow more meat.  If loosing 1d8 hp always means gross physical damage like loosing an arm or having your liver perforated, then high-level PCs must look like hideous monsters made of redundant limbs and organs.  ;)

*a derogatory name for the argument that hit points = raw physical damage and nothing else, which is mostly used as a rhetorical club to bash non-magical healing in D&D 4e

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
Just found out that Osprey will be publishing a "post-apocalyptic vehicular combat" game in November called Gaslands.

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaslands

Shoot, ram, skid and loot your way through the ruins of civilisation with Gaslands, a tabletop wargame of car-on-car destruction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Players control small fleets of armed vehicles in battles for resources, dominance and survival. With rules for multiple vehicle types (from motorbikes to big rigs), varied special weapons and accessories (including oil slicks, caltrops and nitro boosters), and a host of options for scenarios, environmental conditions, crew and campaigns, players can tailor games to match their own visions for an anarchic future.

Looks like it's a Car Wars style game (but not as complex!) played with converted hotwheels/matchbox cars on tabletop.  Here's some photos from a game the author ran at Salute 2017:

Skimming through the design blog, it looks like the game will have a vehicle design system, factions & a campaign system.  And skimming through the Gaslands twitter feed, it looks like the game will use X-Wing style movement templates:

As one of those folks that tried and failed to wrap my head around Car Wars back in the 80's, I'm hopeful this might be a slightly more playable game.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
This looks really cool.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #418 on: September 01, 2017, 01:58:14 AM »
yeah I have 2 of Osprey's other war games, the hong kong one and Dracula's America. Both look very cool. Need some time to learn the rules though.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 01, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
This looks really cool.

Yeah, and when you look around tumblrs & blogs, there's some gorgeous converted toy cars out there.  Way too many images to post, but here's a few links:

http://crikeymiles.tumblr.com/tagged/gaslands

http://fightingfantasist.tumblr.com/tagged/dark-future

http://axlesalloys2.blogspot.ca/2010/03/i-hate-deadlines.html

http://axlesalloys2.blogspot.ca/2010/03/vroom-vroom-bang-bang-x10.html

http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.ca/search/label/Battle%20Cars

yeah I have 2 of Osprey's other war games, the hong kong one and Dracula's America. Both look very cool. Need some time to learn the rules though.

There's a local miniature wargames club that runs Frostgrave & other Osprey games at a local convention every year.  I played in a game of Ronin one year, and that was quite fun.  And I think some of them are playing A Fistful of Kung Fu and Rogue Stars.  I really should drop into one of their meetings and think about joining.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:16:05 PM by CADmonkey »