Author Topic: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)  (Read 419999 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)
« Reply #420 on: September 01, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
oh yeah the car wargame looks cool - but I want to learn the other 2 skirmish games first.

CADmonkey

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 01, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
oh yeah the car wargame looks cool - but I want to learn the other 2 skirmish games first.
And I wasn't making an editorial comment, just editing my post after messing it up.
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
And in addition, I just discovered a "post apoc game cars" facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/318623315005784/

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 03, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
True Detective Season 3 will be set in the Ozarks.

http://nerdist.com/true-detective-season-3-brings-mahershala-ali-and-green-rooms-director-to-the-ozarks/

After a two-year hiatus, True Detective is officially coming back for a third season with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali returning to television for the leading role. Ali had previously committed to the show earlier this summer, but HBO’s pickup was contingent upon finding a new director for season three. As it turns out, there will be two directors this season: Green Room helmer Jeremy Saulnier and True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto, who will be making his directorial debut.

According to Deadline, the third season storyline will be set in the Ozarks, where “a macabre crime” sets in motion a mystery that will play out over several decades and in three different time periods. Ali’s character will be Wayne Hays, a state police detective in Arkansas. While Hays’ story will be the focus, the multiple time periods suggest that at least two other leading roles will be cast in the series.

Pizzolatto wrote nearly every episode of True Detective season three by himself, with the exception of the fourth episode, which he co-wrote with Deadwood creator David Milch. Deadline is reporting that the new season is still being written and the final episode count has not been locked down. However, since both previous seasons were eight episodes each, it seems likely that the third season will have at least as many episodes as its predecessors.

The first season of True Detective was a smash hit that won critical acclaim and Emmy nominations for  Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, while elevating the career of director Cary Joji Fukunaga. The second season, which starred Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, and Vince Vaughn, never quite managed to recapture the alchemy of the previous season. But with an exciting star in place with Ali and the inventive eye of Saulnier, we’re excited to see if the series can once again live up to its stellar first season.

What do you want to see from True Detective season three? Share your thoughts in the comment section below before the Yellow King arrives!

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 05, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
So over on youtube there's a channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g Science and Futurism with Issac Arthur. It's really god, talks about a lot of things that relate to Eclipse Phase and just cool futurism ideas. He also does a podcast version.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
Cthulhu City is out!

http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/cthulhu-city/

Enter a place born from all of Lovecraft’s creations, and governed by servitors of the Old Ones.­­

Great Arkham – the Cthulhu City.
There is – by certain unreliable and maddening accounts, and now by your own dreadful experience – a city on the eastern seaboard of the United States, in northern Massachusetts. You do not recall seeing it on maps when you were growing up, and no-one of your acquaintance ever admitted coming from that place until you found yourself living within its eerie confines. It is a city of windowless cyclopean skyscrapers, of crumbling baroque buildings and ruins that must, impossibly, predate human habitation in this part of the world. At times, you can see remnants of familiar small towns which have grown together into this monstrous conurbation – Dunwich in the west, beyond Sentinel Hill; quaint Kingsport, by the sea; industrial Innsmouth, the engine of trade and commerce; and the city’s heart, Old Arkham.
You know that this city is monstrous.
You know that the city government are in the thrall of – or in league with – alien horrors.
You know better than to go out at night, when the clouds roll in from the sea and shapes move in the sky. You know there are occasional, unpredictable streets that come and go according to some unearthly schedule, that strange black ships dock at Innsmouth to trade with the squat, ugly denizens of that neighbourhood. You know, too, that not all of your neighbours are sane – or human.
But you’re trapped. There’s no way to escape the city.
Because the city is the world.

It is $34.95

Hey Bill are you planning to run a Cthulhu City campaign for RPPR Tabletop Tales?  Please say yes.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »
yeah I have 2 of Osprey's other war games, the hong kong one and Dracula's America. Both look very cool. Need some time to learn the rules though.

Looking forwards to your review or campaign of Dracula's America. 

Usually I get my wargaming news/fix from Guerrilla Miniature Games

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbO4Vs1vlAA9hz7Ad7IMgug/videos

They often cover Osprey wargames like Rogue Stars, Frostgrave and other indy titles.

Rogue Stars series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7F_veyJvJw

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 12, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
Usually I get my wargaming news/fix from Guerrilla Miniature Games

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbO4Vs1vlAA9hz7Ad7IMgug/videos

They often cover Osprey wargames like Rogue Stars, Frostgrave and other indy titles.

Rogue Stars series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7F_veyJvJw

I've watched some of their Rogue Stars battle reports, it's on my list of Osprey games I want to try (it was also written by the author of Fistful of Kung Fu).

I get a lot of my wargaming news from Tabletop Gaming News, they cover wargames, board games & card games, basically everything tabletop except for rpgs (though there's the occasional bit of rpg news too).  The FLGS downtown also carries Wargames Illustrated, one of the few traditional miniatures wargaming print magazines still around.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
So I was listening to an episode of WoD the Heck (guess which one) and I was reminded of another geek podcast which I have yet to mention here: Métis In Space.

This is a podcast by two geeky Métis ladies who deconstruct sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies & tv shows featuring Indigenous Peoples from a decolonial perspective.  The podcast is currently on hiatus, and I don't know when or if it will return, but there are 30 episodes to listen to.  The bulk of each episode consists of the two of them commenting on a movie or tv show which they've just watched, with a critical view to indigenous representation & issues.  Métis In Space review shows & movies that they love as well as those that they hate, so I'd recommend starting with an episode about something they're fans of, like Star Trek: Star Trek: The Original Series “The Paradise Syndrome” or Star Trek: TNG "Journey's End" before moving on to stuff they hated, like Avatar.
Hey, new season!

Métis in Space Season 4 Episode 1 Apocalypto

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »
yeah I have 2 of Osprey's other war games, the hong kong one and Dracula's America. Both look very cool. Need some time to learn the rules though.
And the September issue of Wargames Illustrated has an article about Dracula's America.  I noticed that the dice rolling system makes the chance of exploding successes higher the lower a character's skill, I wonder if that's on purpose?

They also had another article about another car combat game: Mad Maximillian, set in an alternate history 1930's using 28mm vehicle minis.

And in other news: 'It' Producer to Adapt Sci-Fi Epic 'Ma.K' for Warner Bros.
Roy Lee has teamed with Scott Bernstein to adapt the Japanese property for the big screen.

Fresh from the record-breaking box-office haul of horror-thriller It, producer Roy Lee is now setting his sights on giant robots and two-legged tanks.

Lee has teamed with Scott Bernstein, the Universal executive turned producer, and Warner Bros., which released It, to adapt Ma.K, an epic sci-fi property out of Japan.

Originating in the early 1980s in Hobby Japan magazine, Ma.K was a monthly comic that also tied into customizable model kits. It was created by artist and sculptor Kow Yokoyama, who worked with the magazine's editors to create an expansive universe inspired by Star Wars, Blade Runner and World Wars I and II. The combination of manga and models took off, gaining a worldwide cult following over time.

The story is set far, far into the future after a nuclear war caused survivors to flee Earth. When the planet is habitable once again, new colonies are set up, but it's not long before a battle over resources begins. When one side wants to make Earth independent, a new revolutionary war begins, this time with mechanized armor and robots.

"Kow is a world creator in the truest sense, and this project finally gives Ma.K a global audience who will experience this epic and rich sci-fi property as fans have for the last 35 years," says Kevin Munroe (TMNT), who will executive produce with Yokoyama, Rick Privman and Yumiko Miyano.
Surprised this slipped under the radar of the After Hours crew in the "Pitching Netflix" episode. ;)

I've never actually seen the original Maschinen Krieger comic, apparently it consisted of photographs of scratch-built dioramas with captions, but I have seen plenty of the models though, gorgeous mechanical designs.

What I gather of the story is that it's a sort of alternate WWI/WWII where the "Not-Germans" aren't nazis, so you can build your models of blonde-haired, blue-eyed, forage-cap wearing, panzerfaust-armed soldiers without any guilt!  No idea how this IP is going to be adapted to the screen though.  Maybe Warner was looking for something after Disney acquired Star Wars?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:50:28 AM by CADmonkey »

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 15, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Harry Dean Stanton's final role:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

LUCKY follows the spiritual journey of a 90-year-old atheist and the quirky characters that inhabit his off the map desert town. Having out lived and out smoked all of his contemporaries, the fiercely independent Lucky finds himself at the precipice of life, thrust into a journey of self exploration, leading towards that which is so often unattainable: enlightenment. Acclaimed character actor John Carroll Lynch's directorial debut, "Lucky", is at once a love letter to the life and career of Harry Dean Stanton as well as a meditation on mortality, loneliness, spirituality, and human connection.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Blade of the Immortal, live action:

Manji, a highly skilled samurai, becomes cursed with immortality after a legendary battle. Haunted by the brutal murder of his sister, he knows that only fighting evil will regain his soul. He promises to help a young girl named Rin avenge her parents, who were killed by a group of master swordsmen led by ruthless warrior Anotsu. The mission will change him in ways he could never imagine. Based on the acclaimed Eisner Award winning comic book series from Hiroaki Samura, and the 100th film by legendary master director Takashi Miike!

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
That reminds me that I need to read more of the manga. Also it looks great.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2018, 01:26:32 PM »
Saw a couple of movies last night.  First was the premiere of a campy, local, independent comedy:

Phil Caracas (Harry Knuckles, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter) stars in a modern day slacker odyssey.

Stan (Phil Caracas) is a bumbling slacker who, despite approaching middle age, continues to be a popular party animal with no apparent responsibilities. His next-door neighbour (Gabriela Svoboda) loses her dog and the hapless Stan suddenly has purpose in his life. Find the missing pooch! His mission becomes an existential journey into the self and the dangerous world around him. His investigations uncover a labyrinth of conspiracies and skullduggery that blow his mind and will most certainly blow yours. Be prepared for the wild ride that is Hot Knives!

The other, a new restoration of the classic of Turkish cinema:

They took his money. They took his family. And now, they've taken his hands. But they can never take his revenge! Exploding from the same hallucinogenic netherworld as TURKISH STAR WARS, THE SWORD AND THE CLAW stars Turkish genre legend Cuneyt Arkin in his most iconic role. It's CONAN THE BARBARIAN meets The Three Stooges meets DOLEMITE with more lo-fi bloodshed, pop-art visuals, and bizarro dubbing than the boundaries of reality can handle.
AKA: Lionman.  As usual for special screenings, a member of the theatre staff got onstage to introduce the movie beforehand. He informed us that in addition to being made from the only surviving 35mm print, the digital tranfer we were about to watch apparently had an additonal 25 minutes of film which had been cut from the original theatrical release.  He didn't know which 25 minutes had been restored, but having now seen it, I'm willing to bet it was 25 minutes of fight scenes!  The majority of the screen time of this movie seems to be insane, highly acrobatic fight scenes!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2018, 11:34:12 PM »
Hot Knives looks kind of eh, but Sword and the Claw looks legit amazing.