Author Topic: Working It Out.  (Read 15278 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Working It Out.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
I need some assistance coming up with horror ideas, only problem is it's for Pathfinder and I know DnDesque games are harder to do horror, I relistened to Episode 50, and I am trying to come up with ways to take the players control, I need them to know that whatever creature is coming after them is likely to kill them if it comes to direct conflict and I want to include a "its almost through the door" scenario. I have noticed from one of my other friends who is a rather incredible DM IMHO, that our group panics when they are out numbered and one of my players who is notoriously ballsy is always afraid of goblins and other small challenge rating creatures.(this is more of a OOC fear than in character but I should be able to use it.)

We are in Faerun if any thing from there will lend itself to this idea. I don't really care to use undead for this as they haven't been involved in the campaign too much so far.(Just one Vampire) The only other thing I have to offer is that I have created a template that makes creatures eat magic, It doesn't really make them much stronger but it does make them capable of tracking two of the party members.

I told them that the monsters don't leave the town but I think that they took that to mean that they CAN'T leave the town, do you think I should exploit this fact and use it to scare them, or would that be violating the rules too much in their eyes. (They are fairly reasonable people I suppose)
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
Stuffed animals, wooden practice dummies, scarecrows, rocking horses, wooden dummies, unattended suits of armor, mannequins, anything made to look creature like comes alive once it comes within a few miles of the town. 

They don't feel pain, they don't tire, they don't make any noise even, they just keep coming towards the PCs (if they have any statues or figures or something in their inventory, it comes alive too.)

I'd say set it up so that they come across 1 or 2 of them and have them fight, make it a kind of tough fight so that they know that just a few are a challenge. Then after they finally manage to destroy them completely they hear some shuffling leaves or something coming from just beyond their vision, and there are 2 more of them, and then they hear a broken twig off to another side and 3 emerge, etc etc, the PCs are surrounded.

They run, and find a shack or an abandoned Inn place to hide and find a pool of blood, a little investigation and out back by a large pile of straw there's a pile of guts and blood and a large sewing needle with some bloody leather thread still attached.

Then they see a family come around the corner, the PCs can see that they have leather thread sewn all over their body, and one of them has a stitch missing and theres some straw poking out.  Probably good to have a NPC redshirt who gets taken at some point only to come back and has a dead expression and is after the PCs.

As they escape or whatever they see some of the trees have been recently chopped down and there are piles of sawdust and some sculpting tools, and the fire at the blacksmith is going and they can hear a hammer clanking onto metal, etc, something or someone is carving, sewing, and forging more of them.

They should probably also be working on something, building a huge metal and bone and wood and skin monstrosity of some sort, and it looks like its getting kinda close to being done.  They all just toil away in total silence except the sounds of axes chopping wood, metal being forged, except occasionally the PCs think they can hear a voice (insert either creepy little girl/roving mini-boss/whatever)

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
I've started working with this, I am going to lead them there next session, I grabbed the animated objects rules from the 3.5 monster manual. Roving mini boss is my favorite part of this, because it is going to be the mannequin from the magic item shop that was modeling the items, so it will be tougher than the rest, and confusing because I had it wearing an amulet that allows it to detect thoughts which is causing it to imprint random images of faces onto itself, which in turn is causing it to transform (as a free action) into random forms using a hat of disguise. I plan to have it imprint family members off of the PC's as well as random villagers. Creepy little kid is accomplished.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:14:12 PM by Flawless P »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 02:18:32 AM »
Stuffed animals, wooden practice dummies, scarecrows, rocking horses, wooden dummies, unattended suits of armor, mannequins, anything made to look creature like comes alive once it comes within a few miles of the town. 

They don't feel pain, they don't tire, they don't make any noise even, they just keep coming towards the PCs (if they have any statues or figures or something in their inventory, it comes alive too.)

I'd say set it up so that they come across 1 or 2 of them and have them fight, make it a kind of tough fight so that they know that just a few are a challenge. Then after they finally manage to destroy them completely they hear some shuffling leaves or something coming from just beyond their vision, and there are 2 more of them, and then they hear a broken twig off to another side and 3 emerge, etc etc, the PCs are surrounded.

They run, and find a shack or an abandoned Inn place to hide and find a pool of blood, a little investigation and out back by a large pile of straw there's a pile of guts and blood and a large sewing needle with some bloody leather thread still attached.

Then they see a family come around the corner, the PCs can see that they have leather thread sewn all over their body, and one of them has a stitch missing and theres some straw poking out.  Probably good to have a NPC redshirt who gets taken at some point only to come back and has a dead expression and is after the PCs.

As they escape or whatever they see some of the trees have been recently chopped down and there are piles of sawdust and some sculpting tools, and the fire at the blacksmith is going and they can hear a hammer clanking onto metal, etc, something or someone is carving, sewing, and forging more of them.

They should probably also be working on something, building a huge metal and bone and wood and skin monstrosity of some sort, and it looks like its getting kinda close to being done.  They all just toil away in total silence except the sounds of axes chopping wood, metal being forged, except occasionally the PCs think they can hear a voice (insert either creepy little girl/roving mini-boss/whatever)

I never actually gave you guys an update on this so for those of you that care to hear about it I must say...

It went AWESOME.

They rescued a couple of people hiding in their basement by defeating the roving mini-boss which I decided to up the ante by making take on different traits when it transformed into other forms, more strength and things like that. Made the fight challenging enough and they were trying to save a group of hostages that were being saved to be butchered and added to the flesh monstrosity one of the hostages was one of the PC's 5 year old daughter... I decided this whole thing was a machination of a Psychotic Gnome tinkerer who was building an army of automatons to kill the people who killed his family. He was so far gone insane and had already butchered himself turning himself partially into a construct so he was going to take his revenge at any cost. He moved the hostages to the museum when the players came back to town and they had to fight statues of historical figures from Faerunian history. Eventually they came to a final confrontation with him in which he tried to escape by using the hostages. He readied a fireball and then threatened to kill the hostages if he wasn't allowed to leave. One of the PC's tried to be a hero and shoot his hand while he held the spell components and missed. So he made good on his threat killing all of the hostages, save for the PC's daughter because I let him roll her Reflex save and I rolled for everyone else. I failed a good 7 of them and he made the one. She was still at negative 12 but in pathfinder you dont die till your at negative con so.... she lived and they all celebrated except for the guy who is now haunted by the deaths of 7 other commoners.

Wall o' TEXT!!! WOO