Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 188860 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »
It's actually a rules specific inquiry of "Is there any drawback to having a 2hd transformation power and then taking all other powers as attched powers for the price cut." The only detriment i can think of off the top of my head is if the power gets nullified then essentially all his powers stop working.

Any other rules that take poke holes in this kind of build?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

elbowsquid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
Newbish Wild Talents GM here. 

I'm going to run the adventure in the back of The Kerberos Club for my group as a primer to the setting and the WT system at large.  I've been reading over the NPCs, and how the book handles interference defensive powers leaves me perplexed.

Relevant rules text quoted below.  Pg 269 if anybody has a copy.  Pertinent text bolded.

Sidestep Time 7d (14 per die; 98 Points)
Defends (slow or freeze time)
Defends Extras: Controlled Effect +1, Duration +2, Interference +3, Radius +2
Defends Flaws: Causes Opium Cravings –1, Fragile –1, Willpower Bid –1
Effect: Once Tick Tock has taken a defensive stance with his power, he can gobble up to seven dice from all attacks made against him, and he can extend this same protection to his allies. Capacity: Radius (10 yards).

I was under the impression that defensive powers only got to utilize the amount of dice that were in the successful set as gobble dice, but throughout the book it's written as if a single roll activates them all for use.  Is this right?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:32:11 PM by elbowsquid »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
I believe your original interpretation to be correct you get interference dice for every die in the set not power.

I dont own the book you speak of but I am not sure how the powers are worded.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:19:29 PM by Flawless P »

SteamPunkCthulhu

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »
After listening to the Wild Talents episode and reading through these posts, I've finally decided to start up my own Wild Talents campaign.  I want to set the world in present day but have the player characters be some of the first supers ever.  I've had my players come up with ideas for the super powers but only create 'normal' characters to start the game.  I'm going to play a little loose with the rules to start and have their powers manifest during game play and have their first use manifest as 2 HD. They will be able to refine their powers as we go along but I want the players to have to deal with the consequences of their first super experience.  Has any one here tried a setting like this before? Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Web.Metz

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
How feasible is this hero in Wild Talents?

A long time ago I tried creating a hero I wrote up in Marvel Super Heroes, however the game didn't last long..

His alias is chromatic, secret identity Concord. College student, highly smart, he was what many would call a nerd. (Great Sense, Mind, and Command. Not so good Body or Coordination)
For as long as he knew, he had the ability to control and create this swarm of grey 'dull Matter', as he originally called them. With which he originally could do the following.
>Create/Replenish by converting inorganic matter. One way transformation.
>Shape into objects of assorted shapes.
>Shape into defensive structures.
>Modify density of nullmatter by condensing/expanding
>Although he wasn't a hero at the time. He could use it to bind and contain things.
>Although he wasn't a hero at the time. He technically could use it to form moving platforms that sometimes ignored physics.

It wasn't until a horrifying accident that his powers evolved. Causing him to be the only survivor, and the souls/spirits/personalities of his friends somehow being imprinted on the Null Matter, causing it to evolve into the next level.
The null matter split into six swarms, each of differnet colors and abilities. He then called 'Paintlings'
All
>Null Mater abilities
>Reflexively acts to defend him, interfering with attacks, sometimes trapping foes.
>Forms a second skin on him, acting like armor, which remains on him even if they are away from him. Chromatic being able to hide it if needed.
>Each able to act away from him. However, if they are away from him for too long. They find themselves reforming at his side.
>Able to direct their own 'sub swarms' to attack foes.
>Able to leave inanimate structures of their own behind.
>Always on to a degree.
>No longer human, not needing to breathe/eat
>Able to communicate with Concord telepathically
Red
>Ignites and burns.
>Largely immune to fire
Blue
>Chills and Freezes.
>Largely immune to cold
Green
>Heals and Regenerates
Yellow
>Electricity and Shocking
>Largely immune to electricity
White
>Lights and dazes.
Black
>Tough and defending...forming the majority of his costume

His low powered version, at the start of his super heroing, had it, when in combat, he could only have one 'animate' at a time, and the others relegated to manual control/defense, and when outside of combat (low stress situation) they could take humanoid forms and act on their own interests, despite being mono-colored and obviously no longer human,
A higher version of him, at the top of his game, was able to have all six swarms animate simultaneously in combat.

I ask again, How feasible is this hero in Wild Talents?
I am not sure how to go about creating him.
I see him having a bunch of variable...variable Block/Containment/Bind...with Interference? variable endless create? Variable control? The variable sidekick with Willpower Bid? Permanent on the Create? Possibly No Upward Limit on Create...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:15:24 PM by Web.Metz »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
That's a high power character, regardless of system. The first one would be 300-400 points, simply given how many powers he has.

The second character is really 7 characters that share one body it sounds like. Design 7 characters at 500 points each and make sure you sure have a 'shared body' power/switching feature, I'd guess.

Web.Metz

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
I guessed he was high powered...which is why he could managed to wrangle 3 assault robots at a time in MSH by trapping them in big bubbles formed out of light (the power was limited by lack of autonomy and needing to solidify energy).

I'll probably downgrade him or something if I try and play him in a different gmae
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:23:33 PM by Web.Metz »

Web.Metz

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
[DELETE}
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:14:18 PM by Web.Metz »

Web.Metz

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Question.

I have a player who wants to be able to transform anything non living to a custom substance that retains the hardness of its source material, but he can later target with a limited Control Power.
He wants to be able to indefinitely maintain an amount of transformed material equal to how much he could carry.
He wants any transformed material past that to revert to normal after a certain period of time.

What flaws would be used for that?

Transform into Custom substance
2 Useful. Endless+3. Mass. If/Then(Non living material only) -1 If/Then(Only to custom substance) -1 If/Then(Endless applies only to how much he can carry, Past that it is duration) -1. If/Then(Material Retains original Mass/Density) -1. = 1.   10 HD. 20 points

Would that be it for the Transform Power?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:14:03 PM by Web.Metz »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
3 of those If/Thens aren't needed.

Useful (Changes inorganic matter into custom material)
Endless
If/Then (Endless applies only to how much he can carry, Past that it is duration)

4 point per die. 2 HD, 16 points.

Why would you need 10 Hard Dice?

Web.Metz

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
3 of those If/Thens aren't needed.

Useful (Changes inorganic matter into custom material)
Endless
If/Then (Endless applies only to how much he can carry, Past that it is duration)

4 point per die. 2 HD, 16 points.

Why would you need 10 Hard Dice?
Um....for massive amounts of transformed material in combat? That was his reasoning. Being able to make tons of the stuff then manipulate tons of the stuff, in combat, as he wanted his powers to all revolve around the special matter.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
So long as he understands hd aren't controlled. If he has 10 hd in the power then he's going to transform the maximum amount that it allows everytime that he uses it.

What he probably wants is 1wd+9d; maximum pool (and as such Mass) with full control over it (and cheaper than 10 hd).

At 4 points a die that's 4*4 + 4*9 = 52 points.

Add the "If/Then(Endless applies only to how much he can carry, Past that it is duration)" back in and make it 3 points a die to knock it down to 39 points for the power.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
Norm's Hard Drive that I am Pretty sure is the Cortical Stack of one Dr. Pangloss 4/die 3hd (24 pts)
Useful[Self]
Extra's and Flaws: Variable Effect +4, Self Only -3, Duration +2, Focus -1, Delayed Effect -2, Indestructible +2, Immutable -1, If/Then(Variable Effect Only for choosing new Mind skills) -1, Friends Only +2
Gives user 3 dice in any one mind skill usable for duration. Gaining these bonus dice requires time spent researching the topic with the device.

So....

Got bored did this...

Fun.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:18:06 PM by Flawless P »

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Oh the hard drive. Now that I think of it, 2010-11 has been the year of insanely long-term MacGuffins for RPPR. We're all about carrying around deadly devices for session after session lately.

Bedurndurn

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
Basically anything that has an effect that isn't exactly the same every time you use it requires Variable Effect.

For the paper I'd say it'd be:

Useful, +2, appears to be something else
Variable Effect, +4, appears differently depending on the situation
Speeding Bullet +2, can not be defended against unless subject possess Mind 6d or higher
Limited -1, User can not directly control what the subject sees

Total of 7 per, 2 HD is 28 points, which sounds just about right to me.

Not sure about the utility belt. I'll leave that to somebody else.

That seems crazy high. For 28 points, couldn't you also grab 7 wiggle dice in Lie and tell people that you are the moon?

If you really want to do it as a focus instead of a plain 1pt per die hyperskill, you can keep your Speeding Bullet (though I don't think I like the idea of a PC having a generally unstoppable lie machine) and offset the price with some likely limitations like: Focus (duh), Accessible (It's a leather wallet, not a suit of power armor), If/Then (Only works on people or things that might care at all about what's in your wallet.), No Physical Change (It is psychic paper after all), Go Last (The machine gun nest will probably shoot you before it's operator comprehends the significance of your professional doctorate degree) and Limited (GM gets to choose what lie you're going with based on what he finds most amusing at the time. You cannot deviate from the lie he picks without breaking the effect of your Lie roll).

Edit: I have replied to a very, very old post. Whoopsie.