Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 188894 times)

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
I'd say that while the power is on he is outside the world and can't effect mass, but mass can't effect him either.

He can't use it as a defense like armor or gobble but if he's phased he can ignore all things with mass.

Also I might add the "No Physics" to it if you want to be mean/enforce gravity when he's outside.

Immunity can be all kinds of irritating if you let players take it to things like "Bullets" "Fists" and such but I think it's more for things like radiation etc.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
Cool, thanks for the respones everyone. We got it worked out. He decided to try tweeting Shane Ivey the question and he got an answer, because Shanes a good guy like that.

He responded in my affirmative.

Random other question for you guys to have fun musing about:

Is there a reason, other than for thematics and the non physical extra that you would just ignore the armored defense and hardened armor flaw/extra combo.

It's a wash points wise and I'm not really sure what it does mechanically if you just ignore the extras and flaws and just buy it. Only thing I can think of is that it would still work on non physical damage sources if you dont turn it into armor...
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Nulzilcho

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
The main thing of it is that Armored Defense grants LAR which acts against every attack that meets it so long as it is in place as opposed to a non-Armored Defense power which only uses whatever sets it has which then go poof until next time it is used (or next round if it has a duration). It's basically a specific cheapo version of interference, some of the penalties of which are mitigated by taking Hardened Armor (it probably warrants mentioning that while not specifically prohibited the wording of Armored Defense and Hardened Armor seems to suggest that the latter is not supposed to be taken with HAR-granting powers. YMMV).

Alright, bear with me a moment I cooked up a couple of examples to demonstrate the functional differences. We've got two heroes with similar defensive powers:

'Crunch' is a harried accountant by day and a budding telekinetic hero by night with Subconscious Deflection 2HD (Defends. Extras & Flaws: Always On -1, Permanent +4) as his primary means of defense.

'Slither' on the other hand is just a lizardman trying to make it in a non-lizardman's world, he has Scaly Hide 2HD (Defends. Extras & Flaws: Always On -1, Armored Defense -2, Hardened Armor +2, Permanent +4). This gives him 2 points of Hardened LAR.

Example 1:

In two alternate universes our heroes have chanced upon a crack den and being eager to thwart villany are looting the place, only to be interrupted by Crackhead McGee coming back from picking up his grandmother's prescription at the Rite-Aid. He attacks them in both universes with a sawn-off 12-gauge shotgun, rolling 2x8.

Crunch's Universe - Crunch's automatic 2x10 precedes McGee's 2x8 in the initiative order, scattering the shot. While McGee is standing there dumbfounded Crunch force-shoves his attacker out of a window.

Slither's Universe – McGee's 2x8 computes to 3 shock and killing to the torso (shotgun damage is WSK+1), Slither's 2 Hardened LAR changes the shock damage to 1 and mitigates 2 of the killing damage into shock. The damage total is now 3 shock and 1 killing to the torso. If McGee's shotgun somehow had penetration the result would be the same. Wounded, Slither hisses and pounces across the room to give McGee a vicious hiding.

Example A:

McGee is back for revenge! Having just got out of traction he has gathered three of his buddies and ambushes the heroes, bursting into a Taco Bell bathroom stall to set upon them with iron bars (club damage is WS+1). They roll 3x6, 2x10, 2x2 and nothing.

Crunch's Universe – Crunch yelps as the first blow (3x6) comes down on his outstretched right hand badly spraining it with 4 shock damage. Worse, having suffered an injury he takes a gobble dice to his highest set (the 2x10 of his Subconscious Deflection), the pain robbing him of his protection when he needs it the most. Even if this weren't the case his defensive ability would only be enough to block one of the remaining blows. He is then struck in the head and right leg for 2 shock each and proceeds to suffer an ignominious and smelly beating.

Slither's Universe – Slither grunts under the staccato impact of iron on his scaly hide, taking only 1 shock to the head, torso and right leg thanks to his ophidian resilience. If the third of his attackers had instead wielded a particularly sharp switchblade (WS+1K, Pen 2) the damage to his right leg would have only been 2 shock (shock reduced to 1, 1 killing mitigated to shock) thanks to his hardened armor. Met with a roar the attackers recoil as much from Slither's sudden ferocity as the now apparent roiling stench and are set upon with verve and frenzy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:49:56 AM by Nulzilcho »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2014, 04:01:14 AM »
This has been particularly helpful, How does this play out with interference?

Also, does this basically mean that a character with "armored defense" get to apply its defenses against all attacks, while gobble dice even though they are permanent are only usable once per round?

Nulzilcho

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
First off, I made a mistake.

Crunch's Universe – Crunch yelps as the first blow (3x6) comes down on his outstretched right hand badly spraining it with 4 shock damage. Worse, having suffered an injury he takes a gobble dice to his highest set (the 2x10 of his Subconscious Deflection), the pain robbing him of his protection when he needs it the most. Even if this weren't the case his defensive ability would only be enough to block one of the remaining blows. He is then struck in the head and right leg for 2 shock each and proceeds to suffer an ignominious and smelly beating.

The highlighted section is incorrect, if somehow Crunch's defense had not been disrupted his power would grant him two gobble dice which could be divided between the two remaining attacks, reducing each to width 1 and causing them to miss (for reference: page 73 of the WT:EE, page 75 of the regular version).

Other than that you've got it. As for interference, on it's own it applies to every attack that hits while it is active as regular gobble dice (including attacks with higher width). If you take it with armored defense it grants you width in HAR which is essentially the same with the exception that attacks with penetration ignore up to their penetration value in points of HAR. I can provide another example addressing this later if you want, but right now I've got to dash.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
Alright I think I am undertaking a great challenge.

I want to make a character similar to Pangloss' cortical stack.

No Body
No Coordination

But with an ability to manifest a physical form, similar to The Doctor hologram from Star Trek Voyager.
With a Wireless tech manipulation power and a sensors effect for perceiving the world around it.

Any thoughts on how this might hold up?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:38:19 PM by Flawless P »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
Complicated but doable. I mean aside from the option of simply giving the character Body and Coordination and hand-waving that they aren't really there. Cus that'd be easiest.

I only have a vague idea of how The Doctor on Voyager worked but here goes. I guess make a useful power, 1 wiggle and then however many dice you want. Useful: Make a body. Give it +1 Complicated to emulate fine manipulation for fingers and stuff. +2 Subtle since the only way to know it isn't real is to touch it.

Or, you could take an Augment power with limiters that it can only replicate Body and Coordination dice, link that to the projection power, basically "Ghost" right out of the book, and then rolls skills like normal.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:31:12 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Claive

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
But if you take "No Body" then you aren't a physical object?  If you want a physical computer drive, you need body (if only 1d). 

"No Coordination" would fullfill the role of being immobile.

You would then take the "alternate form" power to create a hologram of yourself, as per page 99.  When your powers were active, you would have a physical form.   Alternately, I would say that the "SideKick" power on page 154 may be more fitting, just add an additional useful quality to it so that you can "possess" the hologram.  If you want it to be able to pick up tools and what not, add an attacks quality and the Power Capacity: Mass Extra to it.

If you wanted to be blind without a a power for perceiving the world around you then you would take "no sense", you could then just take hyper sense and perhaps put flaws on it.  While your powers work, you can see.

For a tech control power I always liked
Techno-kinesis (U) 1d + 1 wd (6 per die = 30 pts)
Useful Extras and Flaws: Variable Effect +4, If/Then: Only for Variable Effect -1, If/Then: Only things a computer with wifi could conceivably do -1, Duration +2. Capacity: Range

You would also want to take the "Amorphous" quality, since you don't have arms, legs, etc.  Or purchase the "Custom Hit Locations" power.

Maybe take the "Size Shift" power, unless you want the computer to be man sized.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:30:49 PM by Claive »
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Double Post

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
Anyone have any idea why giving up a stat COSTS points?

5 points to be unable to move on my own? Doesn't sound right.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
If the game defaulted to no one being able to move then that wouldn't be much of a game. It costs because you are clearly doing something intentionally; it's not a flaw, you are trying to achieve it as a goal.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2014, 02:25:10 AM »
I have an odd question, how would one go about making a magic spear for a character?

I'm thinking of making it a hyperskill with a few other miracles (flight to return etc) any other ideas?

Here's the first draft:
Heaven's Justice Spear (artifact)
All are: Focus -1 Accessible -1
Hyperskill Spear: Spray+1 Penetration +1 Go first +1 Native +1
3/dice (adds 1 spray dice to attacks, can use multiple sets, native stacks with user's own skill)
Flight U 1/dice.
Booster+2 (speed) Focus -1 Accessible -1 Obvious -1 (a flaming spear streaking towards the hero) If/then: only to return to the hero -1.
With three dice it means that the spear when called flies to the hero at supersonic speed but can't do anything else with the power.

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
I have an odd question, how would one go about making a magic spear for a character?

I'm thinking of making it a hyperskill with a few other miracles (flight to return etc) any other ideas?

Here's the first draft:
Heaven's Justice Spear (artifact)
All are: Focus -1 Accessible -1
Hyperskill Spear: Spray+1 Penetration +1 Go first +1 Native +1
3/dice (adds 1 spray dice to attacks, can use multiple sets, native stacks with user's own skill)
Flight U 1/dice.
Booster+2 (speed) Focus -1 Accessible -1 Obvious -1 (a flaming spear streaking towards the hero) If/then: only to return to the hero -1.
With three dice it means that the spear when called flies to the hero at supersonic speed but can't do anything else with the power.

Perhaps instead of putting a separate flight power on the spear you could give it the ranged power capacity?  That would let you "throw" it and have it return to you.  The way you have it now, the power has one die to return, you can't roll a set on one die... so you would have to "take your time" or get some other bonus to get it to work?

Using the example of focus creation on page 139, it might look something like this.

Heaven's Justice Spear 10d (A; 3 per die; 30 pts))
Attack Extras and Flaws: Focus (Accessible, Operational Skill (Melee Weapon(Spear))) -2, Obvious-1, Spray +1, Penetration +1, Go First +1, Native +1. Power Capacity: Range (5,120 Yards)
Effect: This is a magical spear that glows like the sun.  When rolling for this power use your Body + Melee Weapon (Spear) dicepool.  When it is thrown it creates multiple copies of itself that can strike multiple targets.  Once it hits it fades away, magically returning to the hand of the one who threw it.  It is incredibly sharp and ignores one point of armor.  It flies supernaturally quickly and adds one to its width for initiative purposes.  It contains its own reservoir of magic and cannot be negated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:28:22 PM by Claive »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
Only thing to remember with that setup is that any hyperbody that disarms you can likely destroy the spear with a turn or two of effort.

If I remember correctly since its not stat'd as an adaptation, it is instead considered to have 1 hit box per die in the power.

So someone who has multiple hard/wiggle dice can do considerable damage to it.

It's easily arguable that a mundane spear has the ranged and touch capacities on it's attacks quality so you might be better off taking Adaptable -2 and Indestructible +2 to keep it with the magical spear feel.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
I'm back to take more. So I've got a con game coming up, how is the best way to make a 75-point mini-vampire power set? Includes allergies to sun, garlit etc.