Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 188741 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
In five hours I will have your power edited into this space. Have to run right now.  8)

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
It will need range too if you don't want to just pop into whatever space is parallel in the other dimension (deep space, middle of a rock, etc) and some sort of useful quality to see where you are landing before you get there. I'd add on a shit ton of boosters as well, in the tune to to the sun. It sounds like an expensive power to me.
I don't mind the random appearance on another plane even though that would probably require uncontrollable as a flaw. I do have Scrying as a power which allows me to see across distances. I could add the environment bound flaw to make sure there's breathable air. The only problem I'm having is with range. If all planes/dimensions overlap and the nexus can be accessed from anywhere as it exists outside of time and space, then presumably the range would be zero or at least not applicable. Plane shift in DnD allows you to cross over but never to an exact location as planar relativity is always in flux. Therefore, an environmentally bound plane shift would force the shift to the relatively closest breathable air exit. Teleportation presumes your power protects you from inflicting damage upon yourself by occupying the same space as other matter unless you take flaws. Theoretically the same would have to apply.

So far I have:
Useful, Mass
Duration +2 to keep the access working until we find the appropriate exit from the nexus
Booster +2 to take a group
Willpower Cost -2
If/Then -1 punch in the code
Go Last -1
Environment Bound -1

I could add on Power Capacity Range if necessary and Loopy and Obvious to counteract the point cost. Or maybe I need to add in No Physics to explain away some of the leaps in scientific reasoning.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
If it does to different places and not the same Plane each time than your probably going to need Variable Effect or some lesser variation there of.

You could also add "Slow" and "Depeleted" in order to recop some of those lost points.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
If it does to different places and not the same Plane each time than your probably going to need Variable Effect or some lesser variation there of.

You could also add "Slow" and "Depeleted" in order to recop some of those lost points.
Good point.  Thanks, Tad.

Revised:

Useful, Mass
Variable Effect +4
Duration +2 to keep the access working until we find the appropriate exit from the nexus
Slow -2
Willpower Cost -2
Go Last -1
Environment Bound -1
Loopy -1
Obvious -1

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
Based on that current calculation you've got a 3 point per die power, so 2HD would be 12 points.

The problem with 2HD powers is their reduced base values and how easily they can be thrown off (no multiple actions for example).

I'd suggest adding at least 2 D to the power (uping the price to 18 points) so that in the event something goes horribly wrong you have a few extra dice to toy with. Since HD go first when losing dice from a pool having a 1 penalty would normally make a 2HD power unusable but with those 2 normal dice you still have a chance of pulling it off (only 1 of the 2 needs to come up 10 and til'll still work).

Actually, at that point you'd get a more effective result by making it 1WD, 2 D than 2 HD, 2 D and you'd have (narratively) much more control over the portal.

I'm getting a little out of control here...

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
How are you getting 3/die?  I'm counting 8 in extras and 9 in flaws.  Useful is 2, right?

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Hey guys we are about to start back up with WT on Monday with 500 pt. characters, and I need a little help with designing a new power. I'm calling it The Planar Access Code. Basically I wave my hand in the air and a magical access panel appears. I punch in a code that will open a gateway and allow myself and others to venture into the nexus hub between realms, so we can travel to other planes/dimensions. It will be a 2hd miracle but I'm having trouble with the extras. So far I think it will need radius and probably mass. It will cost willpower and have a delayed effect with an if/then to punch in the code, but it will probably be riddled with flaws as I try to cut it down to 1/die. Any suggestions?

Environment bound is a focus-only flaw, so unless Ross will rule otherwise dunno if that'll apply here. Here's my crack at it.

So You Want to be a Planeswalker 2hd
Useful - Group Planar Travel (2 point base)
Capacities: Mass - 10,000 lbs (Base 100 lbs, Booster x2)
Extras:
-Variable Effect (Variable Planar Travel) +4 [6]
-Duration (Access Time) +2 [8]
-Booster x2 (10,000 lb capacity) +2 [10]

Flaws:
-Willpower Cost (Paid when activating power) -2 [8]
-Exhausted (Activates only once per relevant scene) -3 [5]
-If/Then (Must know and punch in planar code) -1 [4]
-Go Last (Portal activates as very last action of round) -1 [3]
-Obvious (Shining white light, little psychic *ding* noise in everyone around's brain) -1 [2]
-Loopy (Martyr gets goofy until he passes a stability check - ONLY worth points if you have no wiggle or hard dice in Command or Stability) -1 [1]
OR
-Fragile (Power fails but can be reattempted if the Martyr suffers damage or a gobble die penalty) -1 [1]

Giving you a reliable way to jetset around the multiverse. Hope you like my version!

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
The Powers for a character I've been designing for fun... His powers are based off of The Dragon Shouts from Skyrim with an emphasis on being more like a Half Dragon in some respects... i.e. Extra Tough and an Attached Heavy Armor... I am looking at the Dr. Jurassic example in the book for a "Transformation" type power.
I made these two breath weapons today...

Knockback Shout (1/Die)
Attacks[Range, Mass]
Attacks Extra's and Flaws:
Power Capacity [Mass] +2
Booster[Mass] +1
Daze +1
High Capacity [Mass] +1
Slow -2
If/Then -1
Obvious -1
Scattered Damage -1
Full Power Only -1

Effect: You let loose a mighty shout that sends your enemy flying dealing random damage to each hit location.

If/Then: Must be able to speak.

Breath of Ice or Fire (1/Die)
Attacks[Range]
Attacks Extra's and Flaws:
Burn +2
Daze +1
Engulf +2
Spray +1
If/Then -1
If/Then -1
Full Power Only -1
Slow -2
Obvious -1
Reduced Capacity [Range] -1

Effect: You spew forth a gout of flame or freezing mist. Damaging your enemies and setting them on fire or stiffening their movements.

If/Then: Must be able to speak.
If/Then: You can only use Daze or Burn at any given time.

Notes: I feel like I whored these points down a bit much... but the limitations are all fitting and honestly I want to add limited damage to the Knockback Shout because I want to have it with lots of knockback and I want it to go first, I want it to be a primarily Defensive Power.

I am not sure if I should buy the Shout with like 7HD or if I should buy it with only a few HD and then buy up Booster and Go First to get it off before I get attacked. I hesitate to buy lots of Hard dice because it's not meant to do much damage.

Alright, so, to give you what you want for the first power without having to 'whore it down' - I recommend we go with a new extra for you. Call it 'Knockback', make it cost one point per die - a power with this extra inflicts one yard of knockback per point of damage, every extra level of Knockback adds another yard per damage - it otherwise acts just as listed in the book, with all relevant modifiers, and would stack on those existing rules. Take 1wd+1d and load up on the Knockback extra, that way you can have a low-damage power with a ton of knockback and not need to twist things like that.

Breath of Ice or Fire looks good, although I believe that I've expressed my feelings for Full Power Only - on attack powers it really should be a two point extra, not a flaw, because it really breaks things down. I get what they were going for thematically, but it just begs for abuse.  :-\

My build of Shout 1d+1wd:
Attacks - Breath Weapon
Capacities: Mass (500 lbs), Range (10 yards)
Extras:
Knockback +1 [3]
Power Capacity (Mass) +2 [5]
Booster (Mass) +1 [6]
Daze +1 [7]

Flaws:
Slow -2 [5]
If/Then (Must be able to speak) -1 [4]
Obvious -1 [3]
Scattered Damage -1 [2]

Giving you a cost of 2 points per die, with 7 yards of knockback per point of shock or killing damage (28 yards on a 2SK damage attack).
Total cost for 1d+1wd is 10 points, not too bad of an investment compared with 6wd like you were thinking.
This is exactly the sort of thing you should look at a new extra for.  :D

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
Full disclosure: I fucking hate magical girls, and I'm not a big anime fan.  ;D I will do my best to not let this color my post, but if I seem a bit snippy, you have been warned.

Also, one of the magical girls has the power to summon horrors from beyond time and space. 1 wiggle die might not be enough.

You're misunderstanding Trauma checks. It's a flat success unless your GM is imposing special rules on it - it's why so much stuff in the book hinges on you not having hard dice in Command and stability, because even a single match, regardless of height or width, will make the check succeed. As written, the character will not (cannot unless you specifically choose to do so, in fact) ever fail a trauma check. But on to the real questions.

I might as well post my girl since I still don't know if I got my maths right, with hyper skills and all that
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qEaCOxp1tQa1G0rX8Daqx_S-X7Bo8orH-MWpy-Q-c9w/edit?hl=en_US

Huh. So, ummm... You really need to specify how many points you bought in your powers, and whether or not your 'hyperbrawl' in the skills section is supposed to be the same as the Hyper Brawl down in the powers section. And if so, where the hell does 'thousand paunch' come in, and how many dice do you actually have in it? I've made some assumptions based on the way it's written, but the way things are listed I really can't give you an exact answer yes or no.

I wrote up a big thing analyzing it line by line, which I'll link here through google docs, but to summarize...

I don't know how you meant to buy your last three powers, but with my best guess for how many dice you wanted, you're either 25 or 50 points over with the hyperbrawl mentioned down below replacing the normal cost of the hyperbrawl mentioned above for 4d+1hd, only 2d in 'Thousand paunch', and either 5d or 5hd in your magical girl toughness thing.
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, things have been crazy here. Let me know if you have questions on my math.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:07:16 AM by SageNytell »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
Useful, Mass
Variable Effect +4
Slow -2
Willpower Cost -2
Go Last -1
Environment Bound -1
Loopy -1
Obvious -1

Pretty sure it's 3. Let me check.

Useful, 2
Variable, 4
Duration, 2
Booster, 2

So that's positive 10.

Slow, 2
Willpower, 2
If/Then, 1
Go Last, 1
Environmental, 1
Loopy, 1
Obvious, 1

And 9 negative.

Okay, you where right, it's at 1 point per die.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 12:11:47 PM »
I got more questions (what else is new). First is another Dr Who item the psychic paper how to stat that and the second is I got another player with a utility belt like batmans, should it just have like 2HD for pulling out whatever he needs, then using throw or whatever after it like a multi action?
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Basically anything that has an effect that isn't exactly the same every time you use it requires Variable Effect.

For the paper I'd say it'd be:

Useful, +2, appears to be something else
Variable Effect, +4, appears differently depending on the situation
Speeding Bullet +2, can not be defended against unless subject possess Mind 6d or higher
Limited -1, User can not directly control what the subject sees

Total of 7 per, 2 HD is 28 points, which sounds just about right to me.

Not sure about the utility belt. I'll leave that to somebody else.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Basically anything that has an effect that isn't exactly the same every time you use it requires Variable Effect.

For the paper I'd say it'd be:

Useful, +2, appears to be something else
Variable Effect, +4, appears differently depending on the situation
Speeding Bullet +2, can not be defended against unless subject possess Mind 6d or higher
Limited -1, User can not directly control what the subject sees

Total of 7 per, 2 HD is 28 points, which sounds just about right to me.

Not sure about the utility belt. I'll leave that to somebody else.

Don't forget the
If/Then: Variable Effect can only be used to make new identifications.
and
If/Then: Doesn't work on anyone with a psychic power permission.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
As a game master I wouldn't consider those large enough drawbacks to merit additional point returns.

Maybe the second one, but only if psychic abilities where somewhat wide spread in the setting so I was likely to come up.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 02:32:43 AM »
Technically the first one has to be included because otherwise the psychic paper is useful with variable effect so it could RAW be used to read minds or change someones appearance or any number of wacky things.

At least thats how variable effect reads to me.

The psychic power permission is dependant on the universe so I agree for that one.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.