Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 187601 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »
I'm planning on using a nullify tech power on my players next game.

One of which is a sentient robot. Almost all of his powers are attached to his 3hd "Being a robot" power that gives him armor.

I told him during character creation that I would likely exploit this just for fair warning.

So the bruiser/tech guy is gonna be nullifed for the fight. One of the powers of the teleporter is also gonna be nullified.

I intend to make it 5hd interference with some Go First. Since they have punched their way out of every fight so far.

At least this is gonna make it more interesting combat wise... not sure if the robot character will get bored till that fight is over/ they figure out how to turn off the nullification.

I'm thinking I might have it turn off electricity in the area too so that they have to fight in the dark, since one of their opponents is a reptile woman who can see in the dark.

It's basically the equivalent to a boss fight. I'm not sure if I should go all Caleb on them and have them just stumble upon this fight.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:48:41 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
If the robot guy is nullified, figure out some aspect you can add to the situation so he can at least use his tech skills - a security alarm that needs to be disabled, a machine sucking all the air out of the room, etc, something he can be doing without his robot powers, maybe he can just barely still move? Don't just leave him completely and entirely helpless. That said, you warned him about the powers, and so long as this isn't something that happens every so often it seems like it'll be a cool boss fight.

Mixmastermax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
So I'm going to be stating a pair of twin martial artists that use one another for all there maneuvers and as such need to be close enough and conscious to work together.
Any suggestions for them(275 point characters)

Variable effect lets you change the useful but power qualities don't transfer so you must spend willpower on them.
But I was thinking about a custom extra like the book suggests

Varied

Blaster(6d)
Attacks, Go First 1, Penetration 1, Attack Level 1, Varied

Varied lets you change those extras so the blaster goes from having Go First 1 to having 2ranks of penetration.

I'm thinking is a +2-3 Extra, with a willpower cost for the shuffle which only lasts a number of rounds equal to the die pool

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2012, 12:44:02 AM »

Use augment: combat skills with if/then for the twin to just get more dice (Twin fight: A (augment+3 if/then must be with twin -1) 4/dice but you'll have to mess with dice pool totals to get the best use from it.

Confuse and dodge as a miracle D (Duration+2 interference+3, if/then must be with twin-1) 6/dice but gives you gobble dice for any attack at the two of them.

Fists everywhere (hyper skill base 1, Engulf +2 if/then must be with twin -1) 2/die of regular hyper skill

Froggycleric

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
If you tack on the range extra to hyperbrawl, does that give you range equal to your hyperdice or your total brawl+body pool?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Just the dice in the skill itself.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
So I'm going to be stating a pair of twin martial artists that use one another for all there maneuvers and as such need to be close enough and conscious to work together.
Any suggestions for them(275 point characters)

Variable effect lets you change the useful but power qualities don't transfer so you must spend willpower on them.
But I was thinking about a custom extra like the book suggests

Varied

Blaster(6d)
Attacks, Go First 1, Penetration 1, Attack Level 1, Varied

Varied lets you change those extras so the blaster goes from having Go First 1 to having 2ranks of penetration.

I'm thinking is a +2-3 Extra, with a willpower cost for the shuffle which only lasts a number of rounds equal to the die pool

One of my players has a Blaster that has either Penetration or Spray.

I had him throw on an if/then can only use Penetration or Spray with any give turn.

Mixmastermax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »
Yes but I was thinking for full conversion

So

Rapid Fire
Spray 2, Attack Level 1 so it hurts and hits all over

Armor-Piercing
Penetration 2, Attack Level 1

Hollow Point
Attack Level 3

But that version could also work apply extra pair of extra with If/then only one active at a time
apply to 3 extras and say only 2 at a time stuff like that

Ah good old evil me

@Journ; Like that put I went for more acrobatic twins so there hyper brawling is rapid flips kicks and other strikes so went with Speeding Bullet and Spray. As they roll and bounce off one another

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
So I'm statting out a mage, they started with the premise that in this world, Indiana Jones was a documentary and archeologists have to be badasses if they go around poking into the resting places of magic civilizations. So came "Voice of the past" Helen Montoya, she read dodge at Cambridge and now that the heroes are gone, there's no one to say no to her holding on to a musty spellbook  or two. She's got 91 points left over after buying the "super" permission and I'm not sure what to do, I don't like Cosmic Power and I'm not sold on making artifacts. What might be a good way to go with her?

If you tack on the range extra to hyperbrawl, does that give you range equal to your hyperdice or your total brawl+body pool?

You can add the extras and such onto normal skills by paying the cost. Or you can make a hyper skill "native" which seems like a good idea for one or two skills and kind of eases up the bookeeping.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I know you said you don't like cosmic power but this is my take on it, flawed down to be less immediately useful. Also Power Permission "Power Theme Mage" would be appropriate for this. Or even better "One Power".

Spellbook 6/Die 7d3wd [114 pts]
Attacks [N/A] Defends [N/A] Useful [N/A]
Attacks Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then -1, If/Then -1, Variable Effect +4, Delayed Effect -2, Focus -1, Accessible -1,  Operational Skill +0
Defends Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then -1, If/Then -1, Variable Effect +4, Delayed Effect -2 Focus -1, Accessible -1,  Operational Skill +0
Useful Extras and Flaws: Duration +2, If/Then -1, If/Then -1, Variable Effect +4, Delayed Effect -2, Focus -1, Accessible -1, Operational Skill +0

Spellbook can be used to transfer dice from it's qualities to produce magical effects. There are 7 dice and 3 Wiggle dice to use for any number of effects that use the dice from this power.

He must spend each turn of the delayed effect studying his spellbook so he cannot activate the spellbook power and then do other things while waiting for the powers to manifest. He must study the spell book for the full time required for the powers to become available.

If/Then Wiggle Dice turn into regular dice when added to Stats or Skills

If/Then Must spend action reading every turn till powers manifest.

Operational Skill Knowledge Arcana

Technically you can drop another If/Than on each quality of "Only for Variable Effect"

Also buy a lot of base will to fuel extras.

SAMPLE POWERS

Magic Missle 3d1wd
Attacks Range
Extras and Flaws: Depleted -1, Go First +1

Magic Missle Barrage 7d3wd
Attacks[Range]
Extras and Flaws: Depleted -1, Go First +1

Mage Armor 2wd
Defends [Self]
Duration +2, One Use -4, Interference +3, Armored Defense -2, Go First +1

Fireball 4d3wd
Attack[Range]
Extras and Flaws: Radius +4, One Use -4, Burn +2, Obvious -1, Scattered Damage -1, Full Power Only -1, Reduced Capacities -1, Area +2

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »
I kind of like that idea. Quick question, with Cosmic Power, when you transfer dice they are "gone" as long as the power is in effect? Also how would depleted and one use work with this power?

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
The transfered dice leave the focus and turn into other abilities for as long as "duration".

During that time they can only be used to produce the "prepared" spell.

Powers with Depleted and One Use are just what they seem. Once they run out of charges the power becomes unuseable. At which point you transfer the useless dice back to the Spellbook and have to prepare new spells.

As such you can produce a feeling of encounter/daily spells or spells per day.

Plus there are plenty of ways to limit the way players use it. As it stands they technically create any effect they want but you can always require that they spend time developing new spells or learning them from books. The spells learned from books could have preset willpower costs associated because that is how the mage built them and designed them. If the player wanted to alter that they would need to put in time to balance the magical energies through research and spell crafting.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »
Hmmmm, I think I'll be a bit lame and just keep stealing from The Question since I've already got her last name, I'm thinking I'll give her the gadget power from a focus, an alchemical tome taken from a dig and a power to "talk" to cities.

The power is a Useful with some limits for getting information by bargaining with the city. I'm thinking about tacking on some minor alterations as a second Useful where she can ask the city to rearrange itself (in small ways) such as covering a doorway or helping to conceal her. The power has the if/then for must be a place where people live and willpower bid (because she has to have some to bargain with).

I think I'll throw Cosmic Power at some kind of math-nerd wizard.

aakurtz

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:43 AM »
Hi guys, new to the forum.  Had a rules question regarding an exploit. 

Just to clarity... Say a player buys one regular die in this new brawl hyperskill called "snake bite". It costs something like 30ish points. Instead of buying points in this skill at 30 a pop, he just buys one die and then buys a bunch of hyper body at 4 a pop to raise the attack pool?

Someone mentioned that this doesn't work earlier but can I know where in the book it talks about this.  Seems very unbalanced if you can do this, yet there isn't mention of the rule exception found in the book.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
It'd work by the rules. It would not stack with his normal brawl skill unless you pay for all the extras on top of the normal dice cost for normal skills.

Then again, as a GM I'd just tell the player "No." Wild Talents is fiddily and all about trust, if a player is trying to abuse that, then, no.

To add a bit more, there are, from a tactical viewpoint, plenty of ways to fight such a person, hand to hand just isn't it. So even if someone has a super powerful skill for hand to hand, they can still be dealt with by other supers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:08:12 AM by Journ-O-LST-3 »