Author Topic: Masks: Advice and General Discussion.  (Read 38366 times)

Great Scott!

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Masks: Advice and General Discussion.
« on: December 24, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

Once school starts back up again I'm thinking about running Masks of Nyarlathotep for my group and was looking for some advice, suggestions, etc. on how to run it and whatnot from players and gm's who have experience with it.

I remember Ross talking in one of the rppr episodes about how he had an organization that fed new pc's into the game which sounded like a good idea to me. Finding a way to reincorporate dead players into the game so as not to disrupt the flow of the story has it's obstacles.

Aside from that, maybe things in the campaign that you thought were confusing or should have been presented in a way that is different than in the book.  Ideas on how to spice it up, add more atmosphere etc. anything really. I'm looking for a more in depth discussion of the campaign so as to help me run it to the best of my abilities.

For reference, I have an older 1989 copy Masks.

Thanks.

I can't think of anything worth putting here, so I decided not to have anything of consequence.

Max_Writer

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: Advice and General Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
I recently played the beginning of the Masks Campaign (New York and a little of London). One thing I found was that it is very sandboxy.  Players have to think about what to do next as opposed to being led - so be prepared for this. Our group was unsure of where to go next until I read over (or sometimes even wrote) my role playing journals - at which point, I realized that we had done no investigation whatsoever of the original party members who died in Africa.  Doing so opened up several new leads and led us to London.  Handling one even got us invited to a party that allowed us to find clues we needed (and was a great deal of fun).

If you have an interest in how our game went, a link to my Cthulhu rpg journals is in my signature.  I started playing the weekly game on Feb. 23, 2011, and it lasted til May 25, 2011, just before we were planning on a raid on a house in London in search of an "impetuous" friend.

Great Scott!

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: Advice and General Discussion.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
Thank you, I'll look through those.
It's the first campaign I've been thinking about running, hopefully I'll get a group together somehow.

One thing I have been curious about though is how do you create a way for players to rejoin when their characters die that flows with the story. That's just a little problem I've been working on. Delta Green makes it so much easier to add new characters.

I can't think of anything worth putting here, so I decided not to have anything of consequence.