Author Topic: What setting Is best for Mutant and MasterMinds  (Read 9971 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
What setting Is best for Mutant and MasterMinds
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
My players have decided that they want to play MnM, But im not shure what powerlevel would be good for begging players. Any reccomendations?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: What setting Is best for Mutant and MasterMinds
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
That depends how many mistakes you're willing to balance against their level of fun. The point based system is amazing, adaptive, and complex so first time players are certain to make calculation mistakes.

Personally, I like starting at Power Level 10 and playing fleshed out heroes. It allows players to generalize, specialize, or bastardize their character as they see fit.

I'm sure Tom can give you much better insight into running a game than me.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
One more think should i go with the grim and gritty dark knight. Or should i go with The old chezzey ones where the word pow comes up when they hit ppl. One player wants Dark, One wants light. And the third player refuses to voice and opion

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:58:02 PM »
Like 50s noir detective gritty, 80's ultra violent gritty, or retro 90s-00s mind fuck gritty?

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »
Ultra violent

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »
Lower power would work fine than. Focus on the really, really nasty stuff and keep the total Power Points a little lower to make things quicker and easier for new players. I'd say Power Level Six or Seven, maybe lower.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
When I ran the game, we had a nice blend of grim and four color. It had insane things in it and it also had wacky superhero action. If you create a city that is large enough that the landscape is always different, then you open yourself up to all sorts of possibilities.

Or you can have a city of golden agey heroes and another of grim characters. Hell, DC does it today even. Metropolis is for big science action and Gotham is for gritty acts of violence.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
Cool Thanks for all the help guys. Now i just need to decide TL.

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
If you want violence, the Iron Age sourcebook is a good tool to have.  It has lists of hundreds of different guns, even though all of them still do the same damage as the usual light pistol, heavy pistol, shotgun, etc.

The bonus is, in really violent games with guns, players want to specify what kind of gun they are using.  Players don't want to wield a heavy pistol, they want to wield an Israeli Arms .50 coliber Desert Eagle with chrome plating and a pearl handle with a dragon inscribed on it.

And if you want REAL violence, just make the effect of punching a guy in the head with superstrength do what a punch should do coming from a guy who can lift a subway car.  Ewwwwww.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

arthwollipot

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:05:04 AM »
The bonus is, in really violent games with guns, players want to specify what kind of gun they are using.  Players don't want to wield a heavy pistol, they want to wield an Israeli Arms .50 coliber Desert Eagle with chrome plating and a pearl handle with a dragon inscribed on it.
Only if they actually know something about guns, which not all violent players do. I play a Solo in a Cyberpunk game and I'm happy to refer to my 9mm jacked pistol and assault rifle. I don't really care what particular kind of gun it is. YMMV.
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 02:58:38 PM »
Fucking unnecessary abbreviations :(.

Anyway, I've started a Mutants & Masterminds game in a really light setting. Superheroes don't kill and villains are really eccentric people with varying degrees of lawbreaking. The players like it and so do I at this point. I've decided to go that way because D&D and a lot of other system takes killing and murder so lightly it's ridiculous. I enjoy a serious game too but it's a nice change to not have to kill people in their bed or slaughter animals (dubbed monsters for the sake of making it "okay") ;)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »
This thread is great fodder for a superhero game http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=5804&page=1