Author Topic: GURPS, I have an idea, now I need a little help  (Read 5091 times)

EndersLegend

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
GURPS, I have an idea, now I need a little help
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
After discovering RPPR about two months ago I have finally registered on the forums.  I enjoy the actual plays, and in-particular I found myself interested in the Modern League of Extraordinary Gentlemen game.  I invested in GURPS books so that I could run a game that is in a similar vein. There are some mild spoilers from a movie coming up.

The idea comes from a movie I saw a while back that, while disappointing, gave me an interesting idea.  The movie was Inkheart.  There is also a book that is better, but the rules for the magic are looser in the movie and will meet my needs better. The part that I'm using is the people known as Silvertongues that can, upon reading the written word aloud, bring something to life from whatever source they had.

The basic plot is that a well-meaning but somewhat naive Silvertongue is on the run from another Silvertongue who has gone evil and is getting rid of the rest of his kind in preparation for taking over the world.  The young Silvertongue read out some help from books, character bios on wikis, and even a little of her own fan fiction(similar to a part of the movie).  She is cursed however so that she has a limited number of words she can say until she loses her voice and can only summon a small group to help her.

Any questions or comments would be welcome about the game.  The parts I need help with are fairly simple.  I have some ideas for enemies, but I'd like to see what other people might suggest.  I've read so many books and watched some many movies that I forget all kinds of good stuff until after I've already ran a session or finished a game.  The sources can be from almost any fictional source(movies, books, comics, tv, video games) and any genre.

I'm also the only person, so far, who is reading through the GURPS books, and will likely be the one they rely on for learning the system and creating their characters.  Everyone is a bit overwhelmed by their character choices at this point, but one has expressed interest in playing a Ghostrider(not Johnny Blaze though).  I seem to keep passing over any rules about transforming into a different form.  I could also use help designing the Penance Stare.  Any help on those issues will be appreciated.  I'm sure there will be more issues but I'm out of time at the moment.

I will also post more ideas I have for the game later.

I guess it would help to mention that I'm using GURPS 4th edition for it and I have the Character, Campaign, Magic, and Powers book so far.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:31:03 PM by EndersLegend »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: GURPS, I have an idea, now I need a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
You're jumping in the deep end - taking up GURPS with all the powers without any previous experience is a bit of a challenge. Sadly, I'm not an expert in the system but there are free character generators out there for it like http://brentnewhall.com/rpg/gurps_4e.php

EndersLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Thanks for your concern but throwing myself in is how I learned to run games in the first place. After three sessions of D&D the group I was in decided I should run a world of darkness game.  A crash course later we had a lot of fun and while I didn't know all the rules, I learned as I went and made up the rest.  I've read through most of the Character and Campaigns books and understand most of it so far.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »
OK 'EndersLegend' you just dived right into the shark-infested deep pool.  You are going to need help, so let me help you out.

I have been playing GURPS for years.  Recently I lobbied Ross (by email, he does not know me) to include GURPS in his 'Games we play' podcast series.  So I thought I might as well be helpful, register at this forum and preach the GURPS gospel in person.

So here's what I'm going to do.  First I'm going to give you a bunch of helpful links to get you started.

This is the GURPS forum at Steve Jackson Games.  LINK: http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

It's where all the hard core grognards hang out.  The good thing for you is that they are really friendly helpful hardcore grognards.  If you come up with a question that's to hard for me to answer (more in that later in the post) this is where you go to ask that question.

This here are a few good I just started playing/running GURPs threads.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=86902
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=85058
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117181

And a I'm making monsters thread
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=89729

FINALLY THE OFFER

In the name of preaching the gospel, I'll come around every few days an answer any specific GURPS question you or any other forum member might have.  These have to be specific, as in how do I do this or how does that rule work, not how do I play GURPS.

How does that sound?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:27:51 AM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

EndersLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
Sounds good.  I've been a bit slow on getting the game up and running since I've had a lot of work lately but I'll start adding my questions as soon as I can.