Author Topic: Upcoming RPPR One Shot games  (Read 335559 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming RPPR One Shot games
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Is it weird that the part of this that really throws me is the most is the idea of a nuclear powered tank needing to refuel mid-mission?

You caught that too? The part that gets me is the nuclear launch as a result of LSD.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Yeah, that was weird. The odd part, beyond the whole thing being an odd part of the larger story, is why they would use nukes when (I believe) it had been established that biological and chemical weapons are the super-weapons of the setting (most nukes having been disabled by a previous national agreement). So, apparently LCD makes you nostalgic in addition to wanting to mass murder.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Yeah, that was weird. The odd part, beyond the whole thing being an odd part of the larger story, is why they would use nukes when (I believe) it had been established that biological and chemical weapons are the super-weapons of the setting (most nukes having been disabled by a previous national agreement). So, apparently LCD makes you nostalgic in addition to wanting to mass murder.

The novel was published in 1974(?) - some time in the mid-70s. SALT I was in 1969, but the official treaty didn't come until SALT II which was in 1979.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
I mean in the setting. To quote the Wiki summary:

In 1983, the nations of the world agreed to the Oslo Disarmament, severely limiting the size of nuclear arsenals. However, this led to a proliferation of biological and chemical weapons.

The Irish Commando LSD attack is in 1992 so for nine years they'd been stacking on the germs and gases but you slip some LSD into the beer and everyone goes retro with the nuclear weapons.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
I mean in the setting. To quote the Wiki summary:

In 1983, the nations of the world agreed to the Oslo Disarmament, severely limiting the size of nuclear arsenals. However, this led to a proliferation of biological and chemical weapons.

The Irish Commando LSD attack is in 1992 so for nine years they'd been stacking on the germs and gases but you slip some LSD into the beer and everyone goes retro with the nuclear weapons.

Oh, missed that. I can't believe we're discussing the logic of the novel.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
Sad isn't it? I do this all the time with fiction. Drives my dad nuts to hear me examining the logic of things other people made up.

But since we're already doing it; do you wander why Israelis are doing mercenary work at all? The write up seems to imply that Israel is doing well for itself, largely uneffected by the depression of other nations. They can afford to design and build nuclear powered tanks and transport them across the Atlantic so they must have several armor transporting airplanes or large transport boats (a quick peek here leads me to believe they must have flown since I don't see anything approaching trans-oceanic armored transport). How much can the US be paying them when the rich people and economically strong sections of the country are the ones that rebelled to begin with?

Easier question: why on Earth did they sail one of these 250 miles up what I have to assume was this to help you fight a ground war? How on Earth for that matter? Hell, an armored train probably would've worked better in Texas (that would have been bad ass).

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
Texas could have paid the mercs in oil - the US, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I just ran a game of Monsters and Other Childish Things, based on material from Road Trip. It was Caleb's first game.

Here's a sneak preview

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »
So what your saying is it was a pretty combat light, experiment in pacifist roleplaying, where characters all got along and tried to save the day through talk and the power of friendship.

I applaud you!  ;)
Liquid Water?

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »
Ross, have anyone of you considered trying Monsterhearts?  Given creativity and tendecy toward insanity among the crew I would imagine it would be an awesomely insane play.

http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts/

"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »
Ross, have anyone of you considered trying Monsterhearts?  Given creativity and tendecy toward insanity among the crew I would imagine it would be an awesomely insane play.

http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts/

Isn't that game designed to emulate YA novel style vampires and werewolves, focusing on interpersonal relationships and romantic struggles?

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
Yep.  Idle Red Hands through up an hour of a recorded game and 15 minutes in I went to the developers website and bought the PDF.  PC logic brought to bear on Highschool..amazing.  This sort of thing in the hands of the rppr crew...lex Luthor times ten awesome.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

unitomega

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »
The Walking Eye did an excellent series of APs, and I've ran a little MH myself. It's a lovely little game with HS drama and supernatural shit mixed in. Might be a little weird for the RPPR crew, don't know how much they've played these indie narrativist games. I mean, the GM rolls no dice, shit only happens from the GM when the players fuck up or the players aren't driving themselves for a bit.

Actually nevermind, it's a great idea. Even if they don't play the game well an AP of it would be hilarious to listen to.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
I'd like to see how the RPPR crew does with http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/113064/ViewScream

Though it's a new and odd interface for storygames.

Leviathan

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Back-up singer for the Tusken Sound Raiders.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
Hey Ross, did you ever play The Quiet Year with Aaron and Tom, since they missed the first one? Would love to hear the contrast between Tom inflicting monstrous horrors on the community and Aaron's engineering caste building carebear robots to clean up the mess.
Railroad Diary, a place where I occasionally put words.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2013, 12:31:22 AM »
Hey, they're called Berbils. Also we have yet to play The Quiet Year, though that will be probably be rectified sometime in the near future.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"