Author Topic: Upcoming RPPR One Shot games  (Read 335613 times)

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming RPPR One Shot games
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »

Kemlin Dragos

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
With the advent and success of the Delta Green Kickstarter, can we expect some more Delta Green  from "R" cell? I would love to hear "The Fall of Delta Green". Also since I haven't posted in a while, gotta put in a vote for the EP scenario "Million Year Echo" because it is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
It was on an April Fool's Day on /tg/ when user Lawful Nice announced 'Dungeons The Dragoning', a massive media crossover game (Mainly Warhammer 40k, Spelljammer, and Planescape, with bits of Mass Effect, Exalted, and WoD). Everyone just laughed it off until he posted the PDF: 8.8 MB, 314 pages.

This PDF. This ruleset. This...thing of terrible, sublime beauty. This is the Bible of /tg/. It is all that /tg/ is; its very soul and essence.

Works like this are enough to make a man believe in divine inspiration.

Do something with this, I beg of you. Review it on RPPR, play a one-shot, I don't care. It's unbelievable glory must be shared.

Crowley

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
I was listening to another actual play podcast yesterday and they were playing a little indie game I didn't remember ever having heard of called Soth, where the players play small-town cultists trying to summon a dark god named Soth through a series of ritual sacrifices while the GM accumulates a Suspicion resource based on their actions and spends it behind the scenes on investigatorial efforts to stop them. Everyone has ties to regular people in the setting but also have Compulsions and Clarity that betray their increasing madness. It's kind of A Dirty World crossed with Fiasco and mirror-image Call of Cthulhu and it seems like it would be very much the sort of game that Ross or Caleb could get serious mileage from in one-shots. I'd love to see that happen.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »
This is really interesting thanks for posting.

What podcast was it specifically?

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
Sounds like Jank Cast to me the last AP they did was SOTH.

Crowley

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
Sounds like Jank Cast to me the last AP they did was SOTH.

Yup. That'd be the one. It turned out when I went immediately to go buy Soth afterwards that I already owned it. I was like...what? But I would swear I've never heard of you!

Turns out it was in the Bundle of Tentacles +2.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:28:14 PM by Crowley »

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Someone posted a really cool idea for a Savage Worlds setting, it was basically Rockabilly Buffy The Vampire Slayer set in an alternate '70s America that looks like Leave It To Beaver but freaky things happen when the sun goes down.

American Nightmare

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
I was listening to another actual play podcast yesterday and they were playing a little indie game I didn't remember ever having heard of called Soth, where the players play small-town cultists trying to summon a dark god named Soth through a series of ritual sacrifices while the GM accumulates a Suspicion resource based on their actions and spends it behind the scenes on investigatorial efforts to stop them. Everyone has ties to regular people in the setting but also have Compulsions and Clarity that betray their increasing madness. It's kind of A Dirty World crossed with Fiasco and mirror-image Call of Cthulhu and it seems like it would be very much the sort of game that Ross or Caleb could get serious mileage from in one-shots. I'd love to see that happen.

Finished listening to the Soth AP.  Really well roleplayed and really disturbing by the Jank Cast.  Only a real mature group could handle something this heavy and dark. 

The mechanics and spoilers of the Soth game are interesting.  The GM's hidden turns where suspicion is upgraded and he can buy investigators (player foils) are interesting.  These elements, along with the player's daily compulsions to act like crazy cultists, and then the spoiler mechanics that can quickly turn into PVP make Soth start off slow on the first two days but quickly the tension ratchets up to where things spiral out of control (often hilariously). This also rewards the careful cultist.  All in all the mechanics do set up a compelling story and could be appropriated for other genres.

---------

With regards to RPPR one shots, I've been listening to a smattering of the Pateron backer games posted on youtube.   

I really like the structure of Floating Arsenal and Subi Reef (not finished) as one shots, Ross.  Writing up adventures takes a whole lot of time, but as an observer, I'm of the opinion these are good ones.  Both of them have a very solid reason for the players to feel isolated from society (nautical, they on the ocean dude) and from each other at times during the investigation.

With regards to Floating Arsenal, the rat-infested ship highly reminds me of the game Shadowrun : Hong Kong.  There is a rat infested barge there with people living on it. In fact you have to take your resident rat-shaman to the location (as this is part of her companion quest).  Real good writing in the game. Strong characters.

Also if you wanted to add another element of fake out to the story, have the mercenaries choose a background that gives them a bit of a mechanical bonus (ex Golden Gloves for +% to boxing,  one of them has a background as an insurgent so they know how to make grenades/have bonus to throw).  The players will be primed for violent conflict ... and yeah that will help a lot. Sure.  ;D

Loved the beginning with the description of The Latvian and the fight. Very thematic, wove the dreams and tension in there and immediately jumped the players into the action and established the hierarchy of being on a naval vessel (ie, the captain, not you has the big guns  ;D)

With regards to Subi Reef,  I have been hearing that China has or are planning to fly commercial airlines into their artificial islands. Pretty much to establish "yeah we are here get over it" and raise tensions.  Now, if you planned to run Subi Reef again, you could very easily make the player civilians (or add civilians to the mix for added chaos) by saying "you are all part of a commercial flight from Philippines or wherever to China and you've been diverted to Subi Reef."  Civilians, particularly non Chinese civilians on a not legal man-made island in the South China Sea run by a hostile and stressed Chinese skeleton military crew, is rife with interesting possibilities.

http://www.reuters.com/article/southchinasea-china-idUSKBN0UI1ZX20160105

China's first landing of a plane on one of its new island runways in the South China Sea shows Beijing's facilities in the disputed region are being completed on schedule and military flights will inevitably follow, foreign officials and analysts said.

China's increasing military presence in the disputed sea could effectively lead to a Beijing-controlled air defence zone, they said, ratcheting up tensions with other claimants and with the United States in one of the world's most volatile areas.

China has confirmed that a test flight by a civilian plane landed on an artificial island built in the Spratlys, the first time Beijing has used a runway in the area.

Vietnam said the plane landed on Jan 2 and launched a formal diplomatic protest, while Philippines Foreign Ministry spokesman Charles Jose said Manila was planning to do the same. Both have claims to the area that overlap with China.

"That's the fear, that China will be able take control of the South China Sea and it will affect the freedom of navigation and freedom of overflight," Jose told reporters.

In Washington, State Department spokesman John Kirby said China's landing of the plane "raises tensions and threatens regional stability."

Senator John McCain, the chairman of the influential U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee, criticised the Obama administration for delaying further "freedom of navigation" patrols within 12 nautical miles of the islands built by China.

China has been building runways on the artificial islands for over a year, and the plane's landing was not a surprise.

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
http://pokemontabletop.com/

Some folks made a pretty comprehensive Pokemon tabletop RPG system, and with the zeitgeist created by Pokemon GO, what better way to get that sweet, sweet search engine visibility than by jumping on the bandwagon with a Pokemon campaign? There's even supplements for running Pokemon in fantasy or sci-fi settings...though I'd rather see how Ross could manage to make Pokemon more Mythos-y. Hastur as the Carcosa Gym Leader, perhaps?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »
http://pokemontabletop.com/

Some folks made a pretty comprehensive Pokemon tabletop RPG system, and with the zeitgeist created by Pokemon GO, what better way to get that sweet, sweet search engine visibility than by jumping on the bandwagon with a Pokemon campaign? There's even supplements for running Pokemon in fantasy or sci-fi settings...though I'd rather see how Ross could manage to make Pokemon more Mythos-y. Hastur as the Carcosa Gym Leader, perhaps?

If I ran a pokemon themed game, I would use Monsters and Other Childish Things or maybe Base Raiders simply out of laziness. However, I would play in a game using this system if someone eles ran it.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »
If I ran a pokemon themed game, I would use Monsters and Other Childish Things or maybe Base Raiders simply out of laziness. However, I would play in a game using this system if someone eles ran it.

Why not use the official pokemon rpg? ;)
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 28, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »
So, that promised Mekton one-shot was mentioned in the GenCon RPPR panel podcast.  Have you guys heard that there's a new edition of Mekton coming?  There was a successful kickstarter for it, which is (naturally) behind schedule.  It's just been announced that in order to fulfill the stretch goal for producing a hardcover book, R. Talsorian has purchased a printing press and they are now learning how to use it.  Maybe if you put off your one-shot game for long enough, you can run it using Mekton Zero.

And on a slightly more serious note about Pokemon, Guardians of Order* put out a supplement for BESM called Cute & Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters back in 2001.  It was a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the fighting monster genre with a variety of setting ideas.  There was also a variant "American" cover with the word 'cockfighting' removed and different art, apparently because they were afraid books with the original cover would get stopped at the border.  I think my FLGS actually still has a copy (original cover).

*The Canadian game company that imploded because it's proprietor was a financial super-genius.
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »
To: Agent Ross
Re: BRIGHT REDOUBT
Burn After Reading

Modern devices to read dreams with brain scans. 2012-2013

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/dream-decoder/

http://www.nature.com/news/brain-decoding-reading-minds-1.13989

---

General information about the modern understanding of the biological function of sleep. About 10 pages or less for the three articles. Pineal gland mentioned!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m28vzn4b0znu9/Biology_Sleep

---

Minor Spoilers Follow

I am 2 hours into BRIGHT REDOUBT.  The player's argument to the researcher that the banker could be smuggling or receiving artifacts could be tied to National Security.

For example: FBI could state they are following up on ISIS's finances and they have traced middle eastern artifacts appearing in the Eastern Seaboard.  They try to convince the academic that she is being used as a patsy by her sleep study client because he used auto hypnosis to recite the poem that was on a (fictional) stolen stele.  The sleep study client plans to "make" copies of his dreaming visions while these copies are actually a way to launder real artifacts to the wealthy under everyone's nose.

An art theft FBI analysis could feasibly pull off this argument as well.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
I need to post the RPPR run of that game soon.