Author Topic: eclipse phase! where to start?  (Read 9341 times)

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
eclipse phase! where to start?
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Ok, I got a group of guys wanting to play some rpgs, prob gonna do 4th ed dnd, but was wondering what should I buy if I wanna do eclipse phase? I been on there web site but that thing is full of like 20 books Haha! So what do you guys recommend?

Also what books would be best for starting up in CoC? Ive done the haunting, bit what core book(s) do I need to get?

Boyos

• View Profile
Re: eclipse phase! where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »
Also with the talk of the new delta green book comming out,could I just start there for CoC?

BOMherren

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »
The Posthuman guys offer free downloads of all Eclipse Phase material released thus far under a Creative Commons license, so you could get all of it legally and for free, and then buy it later if you feel you want to support them.

The big thing with Eclipse Phase is that it is complex. Most sci-fi settings are "like today, but with X" or at most, "like this other popular setting, but with X." EP has all kinds of different sci-fi and transhuman elements mashed up in it, so it's going to be difficult for new players to understand it all. If you want to make it a little more manageable while introducing new players, you should make the game more plot-driven, so that they always have a clear idea of what to do.

Another thing is that character creation is a little bit obtuse. There's a bit of mathematics involved and a lot of different options, and if you want to go back and change something in the middle of creation, you may have to recalculate a lot of derived values. On the plus side, there is a handy spreadsheet that helps streamline the process, and also a good variety of sample PCs in the various sourcebooks.

RPPR has some good resources on EP. There was a podcast episode dedicated to Eclipse Phase,  and if you check the AP archives, you'll find that Ross ran an introductory game, where he solved these problems. If I were to introduce new players at this point, I'd probably run them through that, or something close to it.

Finally, there's the official Eclipse Phase forum. It's a great place to look for inspiration and ask for advice.

Good luck!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
Call of Cthulhu only has the one "core" book; everything else is either setting material or adventures. It doesn't make a large difference which edition of the core book you buy either. I have the fourth and sixth and aside from layout redesigns and art differences the books are essentually identical.

For Eclipse Phase you only need the corebook to play. Given how complex the setting can be and how valuable information is I recommend Sunward for anyone playing for the first time. It has some connections to current American world views, such as capitalist society layouts, large crowded cities, and shopping malls. Running a game on Mars or Venus is a great way to slowly ease the players (and yourself) into the setting of Eclipse Phase.

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
I cannot praise Delta Green highly enough but if you are new to Call of Cthulhu I wouldn't start off trying to run a DG setting. You'll need to learn some fundamentals before tackling DG, which is well worth the effort. Most of my best RPG experiences have come in DG games.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
Eclipse Phase main book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0984583505/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0984583505&linkCode=as2&tag=rolplapubrad-20

That's all you need to play. The PDFs are all freely available as Creative Commons licensed files: http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

I recommend using pregen characters for the first game you run and make sure you read through the rules and setting info pretty carefully.

Technically all you need for Delta Green is the main Call of Cthulhu rule book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568821816/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1568821816&linkCode=as2&tag=rolplapubrad-20

The Delta Green wiki has a lot of info about the setting but nothing beats the main book http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »
Thanks!!!!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Oh, the PDF for Delta Green http://www.rpgnow.com/product/99212/Delta-Green

Delta Green is great, period. Very well written and offers several great scenarios in it. Worth getting, regardless.

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
One of the best things about Delta Green is that it continually inspires. You can't help but come up with topical ideas to adapt once you have digested the DG premise, so new and original scenarios are always around the corner.