Author Topic: Anecdote: Fluffy the Awakened Elephant Rogue Cohort  (Read 18284 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Anecdote: Fluffy the Awakened Elephant Rogue Cohort
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
This is an anecdote about strange cohort creations because when you play an epic game, you don't just have to be strange in creating your level 42 character, you have to be strange in creating your cohort too. And, this fellow RPPR fans, is how Fluffy was born.

When Ross proposed running the second epic D&D game (the first one featured level 21 characters), I knew I had to be up to the task of making the game extra special. Although I ended up playing a pirate queen with an armada of ships as opposed to a fortress, my first character concept was a court jester type of character that had an elephant of a cohort. Why an elephant? Because Ross had recently pointed out a thread on RPG.net that explicitly outlined that because elephants possess such great strength, then by D&D rules elephants make excellent climbers. Over dinner, at Braum's Ice Cream where Karee and I typically had pregame dinners with Ross, I sketched out Fluffy. Because elephants make such great climbers, then they would be excellent Rogue / Shadowdancers with Boots of Spiderclimb (3.5 rules). I had played an elven rogue / shadowdancer in a one-shot D&D game and had a good idea how I wanted to run Fluffy. One of the strategies I had employed with the elf was to jump into a shadow and then hang from the ceiling firing arrows down at the floor below me. The same strategy would have worked with Fluffy except substituting his trunk for bow and arrows.

The trick is how to give an elephants ranks in any skill let alone give it a class. And that is where the awaken spell comes in. The awaken spell raises an animal's or plant's intelligence up to human level. From there it would have been a simple matter of properly training Fluffy and equipping him with appropriate elephant-sized equipment. Though I never played Fluffy, I still have fond memories for the cohort he could have been.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Anecdote: Fluffy the Awakened Elephant Rogue Cohort
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
I would love to see fluffy in action
Kenders Rock

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
I would love to see fluffy in action

I'm bumping this old anecdote because posting about boots of spider climb reminded me of it.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
I recall a similar character in days long past. A Horse Ranger. Obviously, with that strength bonus, a horse is both a good climber and a good jumper, so leaping into the trees and moving from branch to branch should be an easy task. I can only imagine an elephant would be even better at it.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
I recall a similar character in days long past. A Horse Ranger. Obviously, with that strength bonus, a horse is both a good climber and a good jumper, so leaping into the trees and moving from branch to branch should be an easy task. I can only imagine an elephant would be even better at it.

I just love the idea of an elephant hanging upside down from the ceiling grabbing people with its trunk.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
I just love the idea of an elephant hanging upside down from the ceiling grabbing people with its trunk.

And I love the idea of a horse dropping from the branches in a forest, quad-wielding Large sized "spiked guantlets" to fight bandits.

Can't we compromise?

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
Centaur warriors riding ninja mumakil?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »

And I love the idea of a horse dropping from the branches in a forest, quad-wielding Large sized "spiked guantlets" to fight bandits.

Can't we compromise?

Compromise hell, let's team those two up. That would be ridiculous.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
You know, if the horse wore a hat of alter self so it looked like a donkey we could make it a biting political commentary as well as a buddy cop adventure.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
You just gave me a seizure.
Stupid flashing lights.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
You just gave me a seizure.
Stupid flashing lights.

You type very well for a seizing gentleman.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
hey, Tad, guess what?

GO FUCK YOUR OWN FACE

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
hey, Tad, guess what?

GO FUCK YOUR OWN FACE

You want that on YouTube when I'm done or should I just post some still shots here?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »