Author Topic: Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu? and other Crazon Things!  (Read 21847 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Pastoral Manor in Call of Cthulhu? and other Crazon Things!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
So I'm doing a 1920's game that is one part to kill a mockingbird, one part Ghoul cult busting, and the rest is Slenderman interaction. We started the game, but due to exhaustion and what not it wasn't really a full session so we still have a lot to play-through. I realized today that when old Slendy showed up I was using anachronistic methods based on the youtube ARG's.

My question is, how do you think Slenderman would interact with (i.e. screw with) folks in a small 1920's town? This is more to the effect of... well what effects would show in a world where video cameras aren't around to cause distortions? would it be regular poltergeist fair? Like in the "EverymanHybrid" videos? or are there any other really interesting ways to interpret Slenderman if he appeared in 1920's that anyone would be willing to share?

Liquid Water?

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
"Hey, what's that weird shadow in all our family pictures?"

"Wait, wasn't Grandma in this portrait?"

Mixmastermax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:54 AM »
So I'm doing a 1920's game that is one part to kill a mockingbird, one part Ghoul cult busting, and the rest is Slenderman interaction. We started the game, but due to exhaustion and what not it wasn't really a full session so we still have a lot to play-through. I realized today that when old Slendy showed up I was using anachronistic methods based on the youtube ARG's.

My question is, how do you think Slenderman would interact with (i.e. screw with) folks in a small 1920's town? This is more to the effect of... well what effects would show in a world where video cameras aren't around to cause distortions? would it be regular poltergeist fair? Like in the "EverymanHybrid" videos? or are there any other really interesting ways to interpret Slenderman if he appeared in 1920's that anyone would be willing to share?

Any electronics in the area flicker, slendy advances over time and his distortions are his presence and he's not adapted to cameras... yet.
But back in the 1920's? That street light oh those are finally starting to sink in.

Also if you see him in the corner of your eye/reflection, your dizzy, memory gaps, blurred vision. Make a PC be working at the pond and then cut to the others and cut back say he's now at the barn. Tell him it looks like he finished what he was out there too do but he has no memory and it took longer.

Birds avoid Slendy, his electrode-magnetic pattern makes them blind, same with other animals sensitive to the magnetic system

Also Slendy has connections to fire. So make flames draw in random directions against the wind were he last was. Or were his tentacles are and make them snuff out if he draws too far or close. Getting close popping like a fire cracker.

Also shadows

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, this will be the next session I run, so it will b interesting to be sure.

Also re-listened to my first session in this (Campaign?) and man I forgot how fun my player characters are to listen to, it's been some time since we ran a 1920's game with these characters. gonna try and post these somewhere in the next week, maybe post them on the community site if Ross allows. This would included a Cthulhu take on Pastoral Manor inspired scenario, though that session is the 4th one.

3rd session was heavily inspired by the the first half hour of Caleb's "Preemptive Revenge" (I think I've mention this before, but whatev's) Essentially it was what happened to the town and kids after events very much like the beginning of that game (like immediate aftermath and if the horror continued) and then I run my own ideas through it. Death indeed comes to Edenvale.
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Hurray, I've been motivate to do something! XD

The GrumbleHammer Eldritch Investigations 1920:

http://grumblehammer.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:39:45 PM by Review Cultist »
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
I'm planning on running "The Wives of March" for my players, I'm incorporating it and several other "No Security" scenarios into my 1920's campaign. Any one know what I should adjust to accommodate the 20's rather than the 30's? This is more to the state of the town, the crops plight and what not. Just looking for a little advice. 
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
Well, ran "Wives of March" last night for my players. I tweaked the beginning and end to incorporate it better with my campaign and for the 20's setting. We got through the entire scenario... after about 7 hours of play. The guys enjoyed it greatly, thanks Caleb. I like how I've now listened to three variations of this scenario and each has gone different routes to discover the mystery and conspiracy.   
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
what did your group decide to do at the end?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Burn it down. The entire property of the March family ended up a smoldering crater.

But it wasn't so much the ending that was different, they just did a bunch of stuff on the Saturday before Sunday that triggered some minor shit to hit the fan. They learned about what Caiden Garrod had been up to first because they chose to go to the Hotel de Soto. They also went searching for the Wambles character the same day and that triggered some troubles for them. They new something was up pretty early, even before really going to Sunday congressional. Hell they left a hostage bound gagged and sedated in their hotel room with their faithful hound guarding before going out to the sermon. I see that my Gm and player Pulp-esque style leaks into everything. we still got some real unsettling parts horror wise, though it got sort of awkward when the one player invited to dinner followed Wilhelmina upstairs... yeah that was creepy. but I mean the gang all had fun playing. I kept most of the content accurate to the scenario but altered parts that would fit better with the campaigns stories and background content.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:45:01 PM by Review Cultist »
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
I plan on running an "aftermath" game set 90 years after the events of my 1920's run of "Wives of March". As with all my modern sessions done with my live group I did up a dossier for the team.

Hope it's alright to post this here, just wanted to get some extra input. This is what the team will know going into the scenario.
Liquid Water?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
Dude! That is awesome! Could I repost this on my blog?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Sure!

Also for the thing within the vault, since I know my players will likely want to open it and will not run from it when released. Was thinking of using the stats from the D20 Call of Cthulhu book for "Servitor of the Outer Gods". It seems the closest representation for stats I've found for the Not-God's Companion Spawn. Though if anyone has ideas for a more custom D20 Modern variant, I'm open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:52:11 PM by Review Cultist »
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
Next game to be run with the GrumbleHammer crew: Revelations! And despite the fact the characters have survived to Spring 1921, I've got an interesting workaround to have these 1920's investigators arrive to Toil in its 1930's timeline. I'm kind of playing with the idea of Toil being in a perpetual groundhog day rift. A place that hardly anyone but the most occult inclined know of and only for another reason other than the fact it's out of time with reality (The reason the 20's characters are going to this backwater town you probably never heard of, is to pick up some packages from a occult botanist who grows vegetation and ingredients to certain formulas that can only grow in the particular soils of the Vermilian Creek area). Now of course, for better or worst by the end of this scenario, their troubles will only increase for wading in the streams of time. My players want time travel and I am happy to oblige, but as I have mentioned to them on occasion when this comes up... There's a reason there aren't many mortal time travelers. The hounds are rather hungry.

Now aside from my weird and fantastical workarounds and own fiction integration to the scenario the main body and breath of the game is going to be the scenario as written from "No Security". I just wanted to tie it to this weird campaign I'm running.
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
Awesome! Too bad the TImewatch RPG isn't out or you could totally steal ideas from it