Author Topic: The RPPR Catchphrase, In-joke, and Obscure Reference Appreciation Station  (Read 327876 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: The RPPR Catchphrase, In-joke, and Obscure Reference Appreciation Station
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
"from here on, I will no longer be rewarding racism" (or something close to it) 

I've heard it a couple times, most recently referenced in the Glancy Iconoclasts game, but I don't know what it refers to or what necessitated the statement in the first place.

In the "Slasher Flick" game they ran called "The Festival" Ross had been awarding points to player characters for using stereotypical horror film tropes (As the system dictates so characters can survive slasher encounters). Some people went a bit overboard with the same schtick of "blonde racist white girls" and thus Ross began cutting back the points given for it, stating the now iconic "Alright, I will no longer be rewarding racism."
Liquid Water?

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks!  I will give it a listen. 

Edit: It did not disappoint.  Slasher Flick is pretty great and that particular game is near peak 80s. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:01:04 PM by Morbid »

Harrowed

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
It is usually Aaron who sings if anyone sings during a game.

It was particularly bad timing since I was driving through snow at the time. I'd imagine the people behind me were shaking their heads about that idiot in the 4x4 that can't drive.

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
"from here on, I will no longer be rewarding racism" (or something close to it) 

I've heard it a couple times, most recently referenced in the Glancy Iconoclasts game, but I don't know what it refers to or what necessitated the statement in the first place.

In the "Slasher Flick" game they ran called "The Festival" Ross had been awarding points to player characters for using stereotypical horror film tropes (As the system dictates so characters can survive slasher encounters). Some people went a bit overboard with the same schtick of "blonde racist white girls" and thus Ross began cutting back the points given for it, stating the now iconic "Alright, I will no longer be rewarding racism."

Not just "Blonde racist white girls," there was also "Drunken racist Dude-bros" hammering the mistaking-the-monster-for-stereotype schtick.  Jason and I were trading that one back and forth; we were actually trying to make those characters as unlikable as we possibly could so that y'all would actually cheer when they died.  I still stand by that decision  :)
"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

Harrowed

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:40 AM »
Question: In the Masks of Narly breakdown Ross was talking about comments that Glancy had made on running Masks ... where did that come from? I can't remember that coming up on Unspeakable, or any of the others. Cause I'd really like to hear Glancy's thoughts on running that thing.

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2016, 03:33:17 AM »
Question: In the Masks of Narly breakdown Ross was talking about comments that Glancy had made on running Masks ... where did that come from? I can't remember that coming up on Unspeakable, or any of the others. Cause I'd really like to hear Glancy's thoughts on running that thing.

I might be wrong (probably am) but i seem to remember ross saying saying something about having a long talk with him at a gencon in a bar and glancy throwing out suggestions to add on.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »

I might be wrong (probably am) but i seem to remember ross saying saying something about having a long talk with him at a gencon in a bar and glancy throwing out suggestions to add on.

Gencon - Glancy - A Bar

I am shocked to hear these three things put together. Shocked I say.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Believe it or not, I can communicate with Glancy outside of Gen Con. Email, facebook, even skype! :O

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
Believe it or not, I can communicate with Glancy outside of Gen Con. Email, facebook, even skype! :O

In my mind you only communicate in the opulent confines of the game designers club while ensconced in leather wing back chairs and drinking priceless wines from crystal goblets as you plot the murdering of the party.

Morbid

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »

Not just "Blonde racist white girls," there was also "Drunken racist Dude-bros" hammering the mistaking-the-monster-for-stereotype schtick.  Jason and I were trading that one back and forth; we were actually trying to make those characters as unlikable as we possibly could so that y'all would actually cheer when they died.  I still stand by that decision  :)

I'd say that plan worked well - your surfer dude voice was impressive and my only disappointment in that game was that so many of the primary characters survived.  (Mostly by letting the secondary characters keep the killer busy.)

Though it's not RPPR-campaign focused, Glancy does talk about Masks fairly regularly throughout Unspeakable - this one probably has the highest volume of comments on it.  http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2015/03/unspeakable-episode-19-bret-kamer-of-the-masks-of-nyarlathotep-companion/ 

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
Can someone confirm a character from the banner of the new RPPR site for me?

Obviously so far for me it's: Baron Von Manther, Synnibar Raccoon, ? , RPPRRD and then Doctor Drugs waaay over by the Kareoke machine. Who'S the albino with the scars? Obviously I have an idea.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
The answer is somewhere on the RPPR After Hours site :O

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »
Clearly need to refresh my investigative pool.   :)

Grey_Stranger

• View Profile
What's the origin of the highschool ska band joke?