Author Topic: BaseRaiders  (Read 319442 times)

riderv3

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: BaseRaiders
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
Got a power question for the hive mind - say you found the Silver Arm of Nuada, the god-king of the Tuatha Danann, king of the fae gods and all that good stuff. What would it do?

Don't know what it does, but the Dagda probably wants to take it from you.

I know right? That sounds like some juicy compels...

riderv3

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »
Got a power question for the hive mind - say you found the Silver Arm of Nuada, the god-king of the Tuatha Danann, king of the fae gods and all that good stuff. What would it do?

from what little i know of Gaelic mythology i would say that, depending on how much you wanted to spend, it would be kinda basic. while it could be basic superhuman "stats," the thing he was known for was that he was an expert in how to use any weapon. to that end i would probably stat it out as an equipment gift/or power that increases the tier of all weapon skills probably to a max of extraordinary. meaning while you might be a badass with any sword or gun they are still mortal weapons and bullets still bounce off some supers.

Good call - thanks for the help!

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:18 AM »
So I'm going through old files and here's an NPC worth sharing (I hope) he was a former money man for numerous super villains and now he's kind of in the wild with their money.

Guy Millions, middle aged numbers shark

Guy's real name is Leland Chen, he's a third generation Chinese immigrant living the dream as a newly minted venture capitalist. He got where he is today by being very good with numbers, money, laws, and people. Graduating third in his class at Yale helped too. But it was mostly that one time he was kidnapped by Dr. Pangloss. While she was raiding his mind she saw he could solve a problem she was having in Nevada. So she hired him, he agreed from fear and stayed on from greed as she introduced him to others who needed financial management.

In the following ten years he became an expert on laundering money, hiding operations, and running shell companies. He's also become fabulously wealthy. At this point he's in a strange place, all his important clients have vanished, most in Ragnarok, but most of them left enormous sums of money for him to manage. Normally there would be next of ken and laws and such but these are hardly normal or reasonable clients. So he kept going, after a year he decided to go put the money to work in new ways.

So now he lives Edina Minnesota a couple days a week and spends the rest of his time heading Tomorrow Investments from their New York headquarters. Right now he's begun taking risks with his client's money that he wouldn't have dared before. Should any of these risks fall through he might turn to base raiding or patronage for base raiders. He suspects he knows where at least seven bases of former villains are, maybe as many as ten. He owns and manages them through various Delaware companies and it would be easy for him to get a team to any of the sites.

He's 38, in surprisingly good shape for his lifestyle and has an open friendly face. He has been divorced twice and has two semi-estranged children that he genuinely cares about. His VC firm is not directly tied to any base raiding but is close to some companies that are likely trying to launder super tech for patents.

He also has a few psychic controls Pangloss left in his mind, but he's not aware of them. They prevent him from betraying her or her interests. They are enforced with low level suggestions, subliminal commands, and aneurisms. Unless he's pushed he'll assume it's his own idea to never speak of her interests. He will however talk about her in a general way, he's a bit in awe and grateful which can be picked up on.

Finding him:
Destructina isn't the only one to have hired him, plenty of bases could have his contact details. None of them can be traced directly to him but using any would make him paranoid and he would respond out of fear. Enough leg-work can connect some of the information to him and find information on Tomorrow Investments.

Approaches:
Violence: He'll try to escape and hire muscle.
Blackmail: If he thinks he can get them to go away forever he'll agree to pay up to 200 loot.
Hiring: He hasn't realized that base raiders are just more capitalists with funds that need laundering, he can be brought around to setting up money laundering operations if the PCs seem balanced and quiet.
Greed: He can be convinced to sell the location of most bases, however he will never speak of Pangloss. PC's who manage to get him to talk about her will see him start to sweat and if they push may trigger some of his seizures or even kill him if they use any strange skills to compel him to talk.

Skills:
Finance +4 Deceit +4 Presence +4
Resources +3 Contacting +3 Empathy +3
Endurance +2 (E) Resolve +2 (A) Intimidation +2
Athletics +1 (E) Computers +1 Technology +1
Aspects: First Rule of Pangloss, Enforced silence, Super drugs can't change your lifestyle, Not going down for this, Established, Ahead of the game, Not a bad person...

Skill notes: he has been given the Peak Preformer treatment by Pangloss, as well as some brain enhancements. He has the conviction “First rule of Pangloss” as well as the snag “Enforced silence.” If anyone figures this out (medical and psychic tests) they might get to work around it. Also he could act in a manner he thinks is in Pangloss's best interests and just suffer mild aneurisms and seizures.

He was a mid power (20 skill points 6 refresh) person ten years ago and has been growing into his new life well.

fearjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
Super Soldier Serum: Lithium-22 Infusion

Created by a highly unethical scientist named Dr. Jacob Calloway.  Lithium-22 Infusions are injected concoctions of saline solution, various chemical stabilizers, and an unstable, super-energetic lithium isotope that can only be made with a nuclear reactor and exotic matter. Dr. Calloway created a few batches of the serum to empower his goons so they could more effectively knock over research labs that had components he needed. Upon injection, the subject undergoes a painful bonding experience with the drug as it alters their DNA to turn them into a human dynamo, giving them the power to generate and control electricity. However, there tends to be side effects...

Example Lithium-22 Power:

Living Generator (10)
Move+Unusual (Flight via electromagnetism), Physical Force+Range+Unusual (Electromagnetism), Shoot+Range, Shoot+Range, Major Weakness: Submersion in Water, Minor Complication: Persistent Static Buildup

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
I like the idea of unpowered people connected to heroes and villains becoming base raiders. Money man for a villain is totes a good idea for a character.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2017, 07:26:52 AM »
I'm thinking about retiring my con/intro game "Origin Story" and doing a sequel tentatively titled "Blood In" about getting the trust of the Underground. The idea is to take the pre-gens from Origin Story, add a couple points to them and have the Underground set them up to prove their loyalty.

In this case, The local Underground wants to send them to extract some dwarven engineers from an airship an alternative Earth. For some reason this Earth is easy to scry on and the local Underground have been watching the adventures of the HMS L-585, The Cloud Fortress, the way some people watch Game of Thrones. But the air ship is destined to be destroyed in battle with a French cruiser and the Underground want to save their favorite extras. Their favorite, dashing lieutenant Alisha Char eloped with her lover to the free city of Koffee.

The PCs will be magicked into the airship and from there make their way through the developing battle, convince the engineers to join them and make their way to their entry/exit point within one hour. Along the way there are plenty of chances to loot diesel-punk contraptions and sorcerous items from the invading musketeers and defending marines. It's also a bit squicky since the Underground are apparently spying on people for amusement and now playing god with them.

Also one of the available Pre-gens will be an Underground observer, this will let me make a mutant type character and vary the choices a bit.

[World notes, like our world but full of magic and nonsense in 1916 the spirits of mist rolled in, claiming everything under 3,000 feet in elevation and more than 5 miles from the sea, salt apparently is a weakness. World War I ended and the survivors used their magicly augmented tech to begin again with the world vastly changed. The history would likely sound less silly with soaring music behind it. I like it a bit and think I'd put a base there sometime in the mists where horrible spirits dwell etc.]

So how is this for a second game? The first one is mostly about making bad choices in the pursuit of power. This one is about outright nonsense and running face first into outlandish situations and trying to bring back some profit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:29:39 AM by Teapot »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
Hahaha, I love it. Throwing base raiders into another universe to basically save Truman Show extras is a great premise for a scenario. Maybe have the clients keep scrying on the PCs as they do their job and have them do extra side jobs for fate points "Oh I hate that guy, go kick his ass!" etc/

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »
So I think I've got the goal thing figured out, you pay for trappings not lines right? Anyway here are three I did, are they right? Did I miss any trappings they'd need? The clinic and the startup revolve around a healing vat the party stole in the first game.

Edit: So I added the milestones too.

Establish a New Ideal (30 pts, global tier, 8 milestones)
Wealth + Unusual, Security, Workspace, Transport, Information, Research, Networking, Minions + Unusual, Esteem
Milestones
-Branding, the team has to come up with a unified look/name/message
-Disaster relief, the team must respond to a natural disaster like situation, huge fire, bridge collapse etc. If they hired someone to keep a lookout for this they can get directions to the most photogenic heroics available.
-Inroads, the PCs need to establish trust and build relationships with local authorities up to the state level.
-Halting Evildoers, the team must publicly stop someone with powers mid-crime.
-Reach and grasp, the team must respond to a disaster or major super crime in another country. The authorities don't have to be happy but the outcome has to be good.
-Bloating, the team must add members, these new heroes must be reasonably popular or photogenic or fill some kind of publicity/security need.
-Not the last part? The team must publicly save the world. The saving needs to be believable and the threat needs to be imminent.
-Shake hands with, the team needs to get the blessing of or come to an Ideal like truce with the powers that be.

Get the Clinic up to Superspeed (10 pts, national tier, 6 milestones)
Examine, Information, Research, Treatment [physical], networking, guile
-Clean the basement in secret, the PCs have to move the massive healing vat into the clinic with nobody seeing
-Figure out how to turn it on, through research, favors or buying the PCs need the manual
-Retool, the PCs need to set up power for the vat and make it accessable.
-In high places, the PCs need to find ways to silence or make complicit any local players who might learn about their operation.
-And error, the PCs need to run trials of the machine to make sure it works. These might mean disposing of a few ratbominations.
-Restock, healing vats still need healing juice, the clinic can't make it but the Ideal built it somewhere, go hopefully find a renewable source.

Startup Dreams from Magic Machines (15 pts, national tier, 6 milestones)
Dismantle, Repair, Workspace, wealth, networking, esteem, convince, guile, research, information
-Find a base, not for raiding but for setting up your workshop.
-Find the value, the PCs have to figure out which elements of the healing vat can be stealth patented without tipping the feds off.
-Bring on the investors, the PCs must find some VC's or other sources of huge piles of cash
-Brand it, the product has to be explained to the FDA, the public, the investors...
-Secrets and, the product has to be distanced from base raiding
-Defend the patent, the PCs must protect their investment from rivals
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:02:15 AM by Teapot »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »
Looks fine to me. Shaping up to be a decent length campaign if they get all three goals completed!

The Wizard Burke

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
So, uh...first time posting. I'm working on a Base Raiders campaign I'm gonna be running in a few months using my homebrew powers setting. The first session is going to be the players going to be getting their powers, all of which I've designed and run by the players.

So one of the characters is a completely normal guy whose "powers" are the fact that he's mystically tied to a animatronic cowboy powered by the Platonic Western Hero, named Rusty Sprocket. Sort of a Johnny Thunder thing but with a magical robot cowboy instead of a genie. My question is how I should set Rusty up? My thought is to build him as a Companion, with a good bit of refresh dumped into him. But maybe I should also include some Strange skills with a snag making it so that only Rusty can use the powers? Y'know things to reflect superhuman gunfighting skill, and such.

Also, since I'm new to the system (gonna run some one shots before the campaign proper to give everyone a feel for it, including me), if there's any advice regarding the other powers or just in general, I'd be happy to hear it.

The rest of the powers for the party of the campaign (tentatively titled Ripple Effect)

A telepath/supergenius whose powers are fueled by sleep deprivation (they get smarter and more powerful the longer they go without sleep)
A guy possessed/bonded with the spirit of a dragon overlord from another, fantasy-esque timeline (so lots of super strength, super-charisma, nothing subtle just sheer inhuman force.)
A guy who can turn into a psychic nanotech demon (superfast brute with penance stare like claws fueled by personal indulgence)
A girl who can turn into a psychic nanotech angel (just a flying mass of wings, with psychic artillery fueled by music.)
The guy with Rusty Sprocket
And a girl with magical girl powers based on the Fool card. (So blending together the luck power from the core with some stuff from Saber Antimony.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:37:51 PM by The Wizard Burke »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:46 AM »
I would stat up the cowboy as the main character with the human as the companion. Role play it as the human being the main character but that would be easier to model.

I wrote several articles on baseraiders.com about powers and character creation. Here's the most important one: http://www.baseraiders.com/2013/12/02/character-creation-survival-guide/

I like the rest of the team! Good character concepts.

I don't check the forum as much as I do the RPPR Patreon Discord or our Facebook group. I'll try to keep an eye on it in the future.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:10 AM »
So one of the characters is a completely normal guy whose "powers" are the fact that he's mystically tied to a animatronic cowboy powered by the Platonic Western Hero, named Rusty Sprocket. Sort of a Johnny Thunder thing but with a magical robot cowboy instead of a genie. My question is how I should set Rusty up? My thought is to build him as a Companion, with a good bit of refresh dumped into him. But maybe I should also include some Strange skills with a snag making it so that only Rusty can use the powers? Y'know things to reflect superhuman gunfighting skill, and such.

How does he want to use Rusty?
If Rusty's another dude hanging out and playing the harmonica, cooking beans, and shooting dudes that's a companion.
Does he get skills from mystic bleedtrhough? Like shootin' six guns and hogtyin'? That's a skill.
Does he have background benefits from the link? Like being hardier or stabler, that's a skill with stress capacities or defenses.
Similarly, being connected to Rusty might be a signature aspect which is just a free fate point every scene and more nebulous.