Author Topic: Map Geekery  (Read 8007 times)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Map Geekery
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
I was listening to Ross speak on his love for maps on episode 85: Maps and Legends.  And since I make maps for a living, I figured that this forum needs a map thread. 

What do fellow mapsters want to talk about?  I can provide some insight into real world maps, GIS systems, methods, public data access and cartographic rules if people are interested.  I can also show you where to find good tutorials on making fantasy maps, but fantasy maps are not my strong field, so it would just be links.

Any interests?
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Map Geekery
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Where to go to find good useful map for a modern Delta Green game. For example, they want to surveil location X - let's say it's a warehouse or mall - what can I have handy as a visual aid?

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
For outside, just snatch images of Google earth (Print screen button and then paste into a word or powerpoint document).

For inside plans google: (building type) floorplan, (building type) layout or (building type) blueprint.  So for a good warehouse image I googled [ warehouse layout ] and got lots of good stuff.

If you want to draw your own then you can use GIMP, Incscape or Google Sketchup. 

GIMP is a open source raster painting program.  In layman terms it's Photoshop, but for free.
Incscape is a open source 2D vector painting program.  In layman terms it's Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, but for free.
Google Sketchup is a free 3D vector painting program. It's sort of like a simple version of AutoCAD.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:10:00 PM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
The university that I work at (for three more weeks) has one of the best map collections in the Midwest. When I teach early American literature classes, I bring in replica colonial and exploration era maps to show the students how America was being imagined by English and Spanish explorers/colonists: http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/agdm
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
The university that I work at (for three more weeks) has one of the best map collections in the Midwest. When I teach early American literature classes, I bring in replica colonial and exploration era maps to show the students how America was being imagined by English and Spanish explorers/colonists: http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/agdm

Cool stuff.  Thanks.  I like the zoom in feature.
Here is a LINK to the collection of old Icelandic maps
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)