General Category > Role Playing Public Radio Podcast

RPPR Game Designer's Podcast

(1/4) > >>

Shallazar:
I didn't see this thread started so I thought I'd go ahead and begin it.
My intent is that its a thread for all of our unsolicited input for Caleb's project, and as we only have the one episode to go by at the moment we could continue the discussion of the concept and suggest whatever we want since, like, y'know whatever.

First thought I had when hearing the pitch about managing supplies, profit/motivation/reputation system was the "Contract" framing that the Ashen Stars GUMSHOE game uses.

In Ashen Stars there are instances where you can do damage to your reputation which affects the downtime between contracts. Poor reputation = longer downtime or the taking of riskier jobs since you are strapped for cash.

Thoughts?

Gorkamorka:
My first thought was "read Apocalypse world and the steal from it". Specifically the conflict resolution system.  It's fast and simple with really minimal math. It lets competent people succeed most of the time, and even when they fail it most often mean they succeed at a cost.

Plus, you know, Apocalypse.

Tadanori Oyama:
After listening to the podcast I agree with Shallazar; Ashen Stars has a contracting system that involves upkeep of equipment and ship-features that requires that party to potentially shut off some of their cool toys if they screw around too much. It's an interesting way to add some economic elements without requiring the players to do math any more complex than adding and subtracting.

Additionally I would suggest looking at "The Last of Us" for some additional material regarding people cut off from larger society, the impacts of a well intended but brutal police state on it's people, and the lack of unity among those in the wild. It's also a pretty good reference for mental hardening and how it can be resisted, especially in the protagonists.

On a more general note, very interested in Red Markets as a game.

Shallazar:
After listening to the latest episode and hearing about Ross' three-way mechanic the sanity-economic-personal thingamabob I was reminded of a game some people with no imagination play wherein they combine Risk and Monopoly. They alternate turns of monoply to symbolize the economy which allows them to purchase their troops in risk. There are games such as Twilight Imperium, where the same system governs all actions.

I'm in support of a unifying mechanic vs different rules. I don't like systems where you have the main game and this other game to handle other rules. The Iron Heroes Campaign being one example, but mechanically it was sort of a mess and felt like two games instead of one. I hope that Red Markets is more united.

And now I'm just spinning my wheels but a bank vs resources on hand system sounds appealing. Which could operate in a number of ways but one that comes to mind is the Slides from ORE games, sliding one from bank to on hand or something similar.

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk

Shallazar:
After listening to the latest episode and hearing about Ross' three-way mechanic the sanity-economic-personal thingamabob I was reminded of a game some people with no imagination play wherein they combine Risk and Monopoly. They alternate turns of monoply to symbolize the economy which allows them to purchase their troops in risk. There are games such as Twilight Imperium, where the same system governs all actions.

I'm in support of a unifying mechanic vs different rules. I don't like systems where you have the main game and this other game to handle other rules. The Iron Heroes Campaign being one example, but mechanically it was sort of a mess and felt like two games instead of one. I hope that Red Markets is more united.

And now I'm just spinning my wheels but a bank vs resources on hand system sounds appealing. Which could operate in a number of ways but one that comes to mind is the Slides from ORE games, sliding one from bank to on hand or something similar.

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version