Author Topic: RPPR Game Designer's Podcast  (Read 21532 times)

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
RPPR Game Designer's Podcast
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
I didn't see this thread started so I thought I'd go ahead and begin it.
My intent is that its a thread for all of our unsolicited input for Caleb's project, and as we only have the one episode to go by at the moment we could continue the discussion of the concept and suggest whatever we want since, like, y'know whatever.

First thought I had when hearing the pitch about managing supplies, profit/motivation/reputation system was the "Contract" framing that the Ashen Stars GUMSHOE game uses.

In Ashen Stars there are instances where you can do damage to your reputation which affects the downtime between contracts. Poor reputation = longer downtime or the taking of riskier jobs since you are strapped for cash.

Thoughts?
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: RPPR Game Designer's Podcast
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:06:44 AM »
My first thought was "read Apocalypse world and the steal from it". Specifically the conflict resolution system.  It's fast and simple with really minimal math. It lets competent people succeed most of the time, and even when they fail it most often mean they succeed at a cost.

Plus, you know, Apocalypse.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
After listening to the podcast I agree with Shallazar; Ashen Stars has a contracting system that involves upkeep of equipment and ship-features that requires that party to potentially shut off some of their cool toys if they screw around too much. It's an interesting way to add some economic elements without requiring the players to do math any more complex than adding and subtracting.

Additionally I would suggest looking at "The Last of Us" for some additional material regarding people cut off from larger society, the impacts of a well intended but brutal police state on it's people, and the lack of unity among those in the wild. It's also a pretty good reference for mental hardening and how it can be resisted, especially in the protagonists.

On a more general note, very interested in Red Markets as a game.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
After listening to the latest episode and hearing about Ross' three-way mechanic the sanity-economic-personal thingamabob I was reminded of a game some people with no imagination play wherein they combine Risk and Monopoly. They alternate turns of monoply to symbolize the economy which allows them to purchase their troops in risk. There are games such as Twilight Imperium, where the same system governs all actions.

I'm in support of a unifying mechanic vs different rules. I don't like systems where you have the main game and this other game to handle other rules. The Iron Heroes Campaign being one example, but mechanically it was sort of a mess and felt like two games instead of one. I hope that Red Markets is more united.

And now I'm just spinning my wheels but a bank vs resources on hand system sounds appealing. Which could operate in a number of ways but one that comes to mind is the Slides from ORE games, sliding one from bank to on hand or something similar.

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk
I wish I was Tom.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
After listening to the latest episode and hearing about Ross' three-way mechanic the sanity-economic-personal thingamabob I was reminded of a game some people with no imagination play wherein they combine Risk and Monopoly. They alternate turns of monoply to symbolize the economy which allows them to purchase their troops in risk. There are games such as Twilight Imperium, where the same system governs all actions.

I'm in support of a unifying mechanic vs different rules. I don't like systems where you have the main game and this other game to handle other rules. The Iron Heroes Campaign being one example, but mechanically it was sort of a mess and felt like two games instead of one. I hope that Red Markets is more united.

And now I'm just spinning my wheels but a bank vs resources on hand system sounds appealing. Which could operate in a number of ways but one that comes to mind is the Slides from ORE games, sliding one from bank to on hand or something similar.

I wish I was Tom.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »

I wish I was Tom.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »

I wish I was Tom.

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
I don't know about everybody else, but I tend to think about future characters for games I'm in or want to play. So obviously, I'm already kicking around character concepts for Red Markets and I figured I'd share. Feel free to join in and hopefully we can provide some inspiration for Caleb! Since all I really have to go off of is the two episodes of the Game Designer Workshop as far as the world goes, I'm sure some of this may not apply or jive 100%.

So, my main concept thus far has been, effectively, a mechanic-type character. A guy or gal out in the zombie wastes, most likely in a stronghold type settlement or on the border of the wastes who has to sneak out, who scavenges and repairs vehicles for use on the dilapidated highway infrastructure. I can see the knowledge of vehicle maintenance, namely internal combustion engines, broadening out to things like household generator repair and even engine repair on possible robotics, like the BigDog/WildCat drones. Some other things could include monopolizing on the maintenance side to control all of the vehicles in a settlement, renting them out or being the sole retailer. Basically "Hey, I know how to fix these, so if you want to be able use them you gotta talk to me."

That's what I've got right now, gonna try and think of some more ideas or solidify them and then I'll drop 'em here. Once again feel free to share anything you've come up with! 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »
I want to play a chemist; someone who knows how to mix chemicals and compounds to get different things. I don't just mean explosives or medical supplies but chemicals for products.

For example: someone who knows how to cook crude oil into gasoline or other base products. Or for that matter any petroleum products. That oil lubricant you put on your gun to keep it working? Got to come from someplace.

For that matter there's other compounds you need. The cooking oil that you need to make food stuffs, rending soap, the many little things that you now must do or find someone else to do.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
Cool! I'll keep those builds in mind!

The alpha is nearing completion, but I don't think I'm going to start the playtest with character generation rules. I want to get a feel of the mechanic and balance before I codify a system for building characters. What I'll probably do is write a short description of the basic setting here and let people in the playtest pitch me character concepts. Then I'll try to build it for them. If they're too powerful or weak kittens, we'll try and get it working so I have a point to aim for when i do character creation rules

But when I put it up, I'd like everybody to pitch stuff! It'll give me more ideas and challenge me to make a char gen system where people can make those concepts.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
That's a way of doing it that I wouldn't have considered: have people tell you the things that they want to be able to do and them design the mechanics of character creation to allow (or disallow) taskes from within that range.

Well done Caleb. I look forward to future developments.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
Awesome! I'm glad to help in anyway I can and I'll be sure to share any more possible PCs I think up! Though, I am interested in how the playtesting is gonna go. I'm assuming that preliminary stuff will happen with the RPPR crew, but will we see open playtesting or a closed door, sign-up type deal as the system begins to solidify? Sorry if I'm being nosy, I'm just pumped to see this game come together before our very eyes.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
My plan is to alpha playtest with RPPR, write as much of the book (setting material, rules, gear table, etc) as I can afterwards, plan the kickstarter, launch it, then ship the draft out as a beta-playtest to backers of a certain tier

Hopefully, I'll have enough of an idea about how the final product will turn out by then to get layout and art rolling while backers test. Once I get some feedback, I'll make changes, send a second draft to a professional editor, and then try to get things ready for print.

So kinda like FateCore, only with WAYYYYYyyyyy less money :-)

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
Sounds great! Now comes the waiting and saving for the Kickstarter.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »
So kinda like FateCore, only with WAYYYYYyyyyy less money :-)

Is that the Kickstarter banner logo? Cus it kind works if you add "and more zombies". Or "and more rules for economic supply curves".

Apropo of curves, do you have any plans to explore the strange sexuality often expressed in zombie media in Red Markets? I don't mean having game rules for sexual encounters but as a theme while still exploring economics such as human markets (that is markets for the purchase of humans) or 'companionship' as a trade good. I know that would probably touch alot of buttons; I could also see it being an interesting part of the world to explore.