Author Topic: "Real" D&D Alignments  (Read 6386 times)

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
"Real" D&D Alignments
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
I appreciate all the work put into this article and it should be a great way to help players overcome the confusing rigidity of D&D's alignment system.

http://easydamus.com/alignmentreal.html

Unfortunately, I suspect most players will simply resort to hedonism...

I know I would.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:31:13 PM by PaulyMuttonchops »

Vivax

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Secret Twitter Mod for the SCP Foundation
    • View Profile
Re: "Real" D&D Alignments
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
Why is hedonism shunted into CE? Hedonistic thought isn't just limited to pleasure as the highest good. Epicurians and Cyrenaics were hedonists but didn't run around pursuing the reducio-ad-absurdum version of hedonism. The argument could be made that Utilitarianism is partially founded on Hedonistic thought.

See this is why the DnD alignments make no sense. You really can't align real-world philosophies onto an absolute moral judgement system with dubious criteria.

Angry Ted

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »
Alignment is a hold-over from when non-humans were your multiclass characters. They remain so that those damnable, plot-breaking divination spells have a logical framework. They can also serve as a guide for those new to the table but soon get thrown out by most.

Vivax is right. Philosophical ideals *spit* can't be brought off the page without breaking down. The government in A Brave New World was hedonistic even in the colloquial sense that the term is used in the article but hardly Chaotic. Hell, go back to the ultimate canon of Tolkien - The Shire was Righteous, Humane, Transcendent and Sybaritic while Gondor was Ambitious, Ascendant and Orthodox. Minas Tirith "You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villainy".

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
I always found it strange that Druids were True Neutral.