Author Topic: What scares YOU  (Read 42313 times)

Claive

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: What scares YOU
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
I scared of not being able to protect my family. I watched my 19 month daughter get chocked while eating and it scarred me to death. I've never felt that level of fear before.

+1 watched my 7 month old choke on... I don't even remember what...  Worst feeling ever.
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Snake-Eyes

• View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
Agreed, nothing is scarier than being a parent and trying to keep your child alive.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
I don't have kids yet, but I am sure I will have that same fear.  How can you not?  I think that might be why Stephen King's Pet Semetary might be his strongest work:  he taps into that same fear, and that book is ROUGH reading.

I also felt the need to point out that since I created this thread,  we've had one of the COLDEST, most brutal winters in decades.  Local bars are legitimately planning events for when the temperature is above freezing again.  Curse you, Internet gods.  >:(

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
What scares you changes as soon as you have a kid......unless you are a monster :-)

TheStrangerInTheFog

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »
Ending up alone.

Stupid, I know, but I'd hate to go through a significant portion of my life with nobody around me who cares. I was once out on a ride-along with the local police, and we got called out to a missing person report at a care-home. An old lady had just wandered off into the city at night. We found her, and she told us she'd not spoken to anyone in like, two days, and just got on a bus to talk to other human beings.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:17 AM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:43:51 AM by clockworkjoe »

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
Anyone else afraid of posting  invalid YouTube links?  I don't think I could handle the shame :(

Mr. Purple

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
Thought I'd weigh in on this topic a bit.  :)

I'm afraid of needles.  Big needles, small needles, any kind of hollow metal tube that has to stab me to put some kind of fluid in; I have a totally irrational fear of them that makes me tense up and increases my pulse rate by a good thirty beats per minute.  BUT I'm on insulin; I have a choice every night whether to stab myself full of Lantus or take my chances with high sugars and possible complications if i don't.  I close my eyes and stab away.  I am also a blood donor with five lifetime gallons to my name, one pint at a time; I have never ONCE watched them put the needle in my arm.

I'm afraid of heights.  I get vertigo if I'm too high up, I break out into cold sweats, and I tense up the same way I do with needles.  I cope with this by staying on the ground; I don't even look out windows higher than the second floor (and I'm proud of that second floor, dammit!) if I can avoid it in any way.

I'm afraid of tight spaces.  After being in an elevator when the power went out, cue the panic attack if I think I'm going to be trapped.  As long as the box is moving smoothly, I can handle it.  If there are too many people, if the death-box shakes, or if it takes longer to get from one floor to another floor, same as the needle.

I'm afraid of flying.  Heights scare me, enclosed spaces scare me, and the thought of hurtling though the air in a steel coffin full of rocket fuel with a bunch of strangers crowded around me petrifies me; the fact that said coffin was built by the contractor who put in the lowest bid just drizzles anxiety sauce on top of that fear sundae.  I *can* fly, but it usually takes a bit of chemical help (Valium, or a few good stiff drinks.)

All of those I can cope with, and do.  I HAVE to take my insulin, I HAVE to go above the ground level to do my job, I HAVE to trap myself in various boxes (bathrooms, elevators, supply closet, etc) and if I want to travel anywhere at all, I HAVE to fly there.  All of these fears and anxieties I face because the alternative scares me even more...

I'm afraid that one day I'll die alone and forgotten.  My worst nightmare is the one where I've outlived everyone who I know and love except for the friends and family I alienate so badly that they cut me out of their lives.  I die and nobody knows it happened, or SOME people DO know but they don't care.  No legacy, no memorial, nobody to mourn me; the thought of that scares me more than anything else on this Earth.

Realistically, I know it won't happen.  I have friends, and I'm a teensy bit memorable; I tend to leave an impression on strangers I meet. 

I believe FDR said it best when he spoke those immortal words "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."  As long as we face our fears, own them, and meet those fears head on and exercise some willpower... they'll still scare us.  ;)  But at the very least, we'll be ready for 'em.
"Don't read that book, that's where they keep the madness!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »
Anyone else afraid of posting  invalid YouTube links?  I don't think I could handle the shame :(

IT WORKS NOW GAZE UPON IT

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »

IT WORKS NOW GAZE UPON IT

I fear being drawn into one of Ross's TPK scenarios so will not gaze upon it thank you very much.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
I GAZED AND SAW ONLY DESPAIR

lol, j/k, i totes watched it, and now I have a cool studio apartment in this foggy city by a lake with two suns.  Lots of artists.  Kinda cool, 'cept everyone is kind of nuts, lol
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:40:05 PM by PaulyMuttonchops »

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
They would have to shoot me or throw me off that son of a bitch.   There is no way in hell I could make it back down.

Leviathan

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Back-up singer for the Tusken Sound Raiders.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »
Just being powerless, really.

Certainly other fears play into it, like heights and drowning, but generally I want to feel like I can do something if anything were to happen. Like, I climbed Kebnekaise, which is Sweden's highest mountain (though really, it just felt like a high pile of rocks) and when you're up around the top, it's something like 2000 metres up, which is rather scary. Then my cousin wanted to go to the actual highest point, which is basically a long, really thin (about 1,5 metres wide at most) and I just went "Fuck that shit," and sat around in a cabin and waited for her. Just a small gust of wind could send you over the edge and it's a long way down to have your life flashing by.

As a young kid (think I was somewhere between 5 and 9, hard to remember) I remember being on vacation on the coast and walked on a rock-bed near the water, when I stepped on a wet spot and fell in. It was just so scary, knowing that if the stream was faster than it was, I would have just gone further out into the water. It really freaks me out when I think back on it.

I'm the same when it comes to vehicles. Obviously aeroplanes are a big issue for me, especially when departing. On a recent trip, I found myself wanting to crash over the ocean, so we wouldn't get smashed to bits on land. Same with cars. I get really tense and uncomfortable when someone else is driving, especially one of my friends who is at times very reckless in traffic.

Never ever would I be caught doing that nightmare-climb Ross posted.

For the guy that said cows:
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:19:12 AM by Leviathan »
Railroad Diary, a place where I occasionally put words.

Jadzia Katarzyna

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 02:22:02 AM »
I can look at cows quite happily, I just can't be in a paddock with them, presuming that when you said 'guy that said cows', you meant girl that said cows ;)

Cows with Guns may have a had a little to do with this fear.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
When I was in high school I went cow tipping in a Buick. I think I was going 45mph when I side-swiped one. Fucked my car up and the damn thing still lived. Those creatures aren't natural.