Author Topic: Linux Distribution Question  (Read 7478 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Linux Distribution Question
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I have a question that I am hoping someone might have an answer to.  I am looking for a very processor-light distribution of Linux, and have tried Google, but don't quite know how to sort through the data....  I want to install it on a partition on my old laptop (2008 Macbook Pro) to run a Minecraft server on.  I have found with the mods installed, it tends to tax the CPU a bit (RAM is fine), so I'm looking at options that would minimize the other things.  Ideally I would like something that is pretty straightforward on the install or has a good tutorial.  I will hardwire the computer, so I don't need to necessarily access wireless cards or anything.  I am comfortable with decent amount of Unix commands and SSHing and such, so I don't necessarily need an involved (or necessarily any) GUI.

Any suggestions?  Any other information that I'm missing that would help?

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
Re: Linux Distribution Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
My Linux is rusty but my suggestion would be to look into Redhat, CentOS and Ubuntu. Sadly, I'm not sure which is the less system taxing but if I had to make a guess I would say Ubuntu.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

BishopSansPants

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:35:48 AM »
Well there's a whole class of Linux distros that are designed to be lightweight. Piggybacking on the Ubuntu suggestion I would suggest Lubuntu, it's the lightweight distro of Ubuntu.

That said, here's a springboard link for researching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
If you dont need any GUI, you could get the Ubuntu Minimal CD, it would install just the base system and doesnt come with any GUI or anything else really to take up CPU cycles. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD (you can always install xfce or something afterwards with synaptic if you find you need a lightweight gui)