Author Topic: The Iron Devil  (Read 8611 times)

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
The Iron Devil
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
At the end of the actual play there's a brief discussion - which is cut off, sadly - that touches the deathless masters, which are active Cthulhu cultists in the mountains of China. I do remember some mention of those in Lovecraft's story, The Call of Cthulhu. I would speculate that the unnamed villain not seen in the actual play is one of them, or one of their minions.

So I went to check my HPL and I went to my trusty Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia. And I really didn't glean any more data on this Cthulhu cult.

Can anyone point to more information about these shadowy figures?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Iron Devil
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
I'm betting that Scott is going to save a lot of those details until the book comes out. Good odds that "Iron Devil" is going to be in Mysteries of Manchuria.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:44:22 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
You could ask the question on the main AP site and I could bug him about it on FB to answer it.

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
Suggestion taken!

Lordsloth

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
On a side note- listening to more of ASG's historical horror games has gotten me very interested in WWI & WWII. I would love to find some books that have great info on the wars, and the stuff surrounding them(like the real-life events heard in "The Iron Devil").

Would love to get some of the books that Glancy has been reading -or some book suggestions from anybody else- for excellent books on the World Wars.
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

Henry Hankovitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
With WWII books in particular, you have the problem with the general vs the specific.  There are plenty of good general histories of the war--John Keegan's is more than adequate--but by their very nature don't have the sort of visceral, specific details that make for good gaming inspiration.

Two that come immediately to mind are A Bridge Too Far, the classic book on Operation Market-Garden; and Iron Coffins, a memoir of one the very, VERY few German submarine captains to survive the war.  Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad is very readable, though it may suffer a bit in the fact-checking department.  (If I recall correctly, it recounts the historically-unconfirmed sniper duel between Zaitsev and Konig--the basis for the movie--as fact.  There may be other "grandpa's war stories" inaccuracies as well.)

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Henry. In this case, General and Specific are both fine, because I will probably be buying several books.

After listening to Iron Devil, I was surprised at just how little I knew about WWI. I wouldn't mind learning some more.
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 01:54:08 AM »
Eyes Deep in Hell is a good primer on trench warfare and the like in WW1