Author Topic: Anyone play X-Wing the Minitures Game?  (Read 9054 times)

Marik

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Anyone play X-Wing the Minitures Game?
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
I'm big fan and was wondering how many RPPR folks are into the game. I'm a huge fan and its much more "affordable" then WarMachine and Warhammer.

Marik

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone play X-Wing the Minitures Game?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
I've thought about it. I've picked up the HWK-290 mini because I love the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, but I kinda want to grab some of the other ships because they're a pretty good quality for price and maybe I'll get in on the game once I've got enough. Also, they'll be helpful for space combat in the FFG Star Wars role-playing games.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
There's a fleet version of the game coming out. So, if you've been wondering how to get fleet vs fleet battles into your game, FFG should have that coming out. Unsure about the release date.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
To Kamen: If you have a friend or two into the game they can help introduce you. If your not a collector and are content playing occasionally with the same ships you can build a competitive squad for pretty cheap.

Nothing wrong with your plan though. Collect the ships that you like and move on from there. Although now is a great time to get into the game with the new Scum and Villiany faction arriving in the next couple of weeks.

To Snake Eyes: The fleet version is called Armada and it is listed for Q1 2015. FFG lists it as "At the printer". Since they do most of thier manufacturing through China its still a little ways out and Q1 may be optimistic.

It looks good but the minitures are unpainted and some require assembly.

I will be sticking to X-Wing as I want to play games as a hobby not assemble and paint. I know others love that stuff its just not my thing. Its work for me. I may buy the core set depending on how playable it is out of the box (It will stay grey and unpainted). If it's not really playable without expansions I'll have to pass.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »
Thanks Marik, my mind went blank on the name. Q1 is a bit optimistic if it's still "at the printer". I don't know if you all heard but FFG got bought by Asmodee. So, hopefully that will fix FFG's problem of never making enough product and taking forever to get it back in stock.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Zombieneighbours

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:52:57 AM »
I have played it. It is awesome.

After the wedding of doom, I might even buy some of it, both for play, and for use in Age of Rebellion games.

Graywalker

• The Cosplayer from cosplay-land
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »
I've recently taken to playing the D&D version of of X-wing, Attack wing.

Many of the local X-wing players, that go to the game store I've begun to frequent, have started to play it and say the two are roughly the same game, with some minor differences.
Mostly the fighter ships and walkers are now dragons and other D&D monsters like Ice giants.

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Hey Graywalker,

I don't know much about attack wing except that it's based on the same rule set. I have a couple of questions about it, if you don't mind answering.

How playable is the starter set? Can I pick this up and play out of the box or are additional units required?

How do ground units work compared to flying units? Both use the same template set?

Thanks,
Marik

Graywalker

• The Cosplayer from cosplay-land
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 05:20:28 PM »
Yes, you can pick up and play with the starter kit.

The starter set comes with everything you'll need to a game, technically. The three dragons that come in it; red, blue and copper are all you need to play but getting more figures later on doesn't hurt if you want to have large battles.

Ground works the same as air, save you can pivot on the ground and not in the air. Both use a movement dial that you use to select the distance to move a unit and in what direction.

I've ordered out for the starter kit and the first two waves of merchandise. 3 more waves are on the way, some big things from those are a Silver dragon, Dracolich and Drizzt.