Author Topic: Red Markets Inspiration  (Read 309617 times)

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
Re: Red Markets Inspiration
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »
Here's my updated list of Taker and Outfit names with notes on which ones we've used in the Hooverville game thus far.

Takers:
50-Cal
A-Poc
Apostle
Arclight
Aristotle (Reference, Plato)
Arsenic
Bastard
Bearskin
Blackjack
Bloody Mary (Player Taker)
Bowie
C-Biscuit
Chan
Chewy
Chopper
Coma Boy
Cossack
Crackerjack
Crosshair
Crow
Delta-V
Diamondback
Dragon
EMP
Excalibur
Faith
Fallout
Feral
Flint
Gat
Goblin
Gremlin (Steward)
Grinder
Hair Trigger
Harley
Hatchet
Headcount
Holiday
Honey Badger (Taker/Reference, Gots)
Hopscotch
JDAM (Reference, Gots)
Knight
Komodo
La Muerta
Mace
Maestro
Major
Mako
Marshall
Mercy
Mlack Baron
Mongoose
Napalm
Pandora
Pike
Plato (Player Taker)
Prettyboy
Prince
Razor
Robin
Ronin
Sandman
Shank
Shiner
Skid (Wholesaler, Plato)
Skidmark
Skipper
Smokes
Spyder
Sticks
Switch
Terminal
The Rev
V8
Viper
Wasp
Waterdog
Whisper
Winchester
X-Ray
Z-Rex

Outfits:
Devil Dogs
Diamondbacks (KIA at Sierra)
New Apostles (Meek)
Rat Queens (Honey Badger's crew)
Regulars (KIA at Sierra)
Roadrunners (Coyote Dan's crew)
Terminal Vector (KIA at McEmbry Mine)

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »
Image dump.

We haven't had a good picture of the DHQS yet so...

And when they fail.

Noses are a luxury in the Loss

I'd make the sacrifice.

Where would the majority of the planes crash?

This was titled "The Postman"

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
If someone was programming a random website generator for Taker names I'd also suggest a random generator for Ludwig architectural quotes.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »
If someone was programming a random website generator for Taker names I'd also suggest a random generator for Ludwig architectural quotes.

Somebody in this group has to have the programming chops for this - I volunteer to research architectural quotes and try to think of Taker names.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2016, 12:27:30 AM »
Gamer's Table has a pretty decent podcast chatting about the post apoc genre/games.

http://gamerstable.com/ep248/

The comment "post apocalypse is this generation's Western: a fantasy where you can make your own rules" is pretty spot on.

They totally whiff on the  "post apocalypse is a very American genre" though. *gives the hairy eyeball to STALKER, Godzilla, the backstory to nearly every Anime ever*

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »
Also the fact that the Mad Max franchise is obviously an Aussie export.

Jace911

• The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
Also the fact that the Mad Max franchise is obviously an Aussie export.

Lies and slander! According to Brietbart, Mad Max is a proud piece of Australian American cinema starring Australian American actors and directed by a manly Australian American man!

Hell, it's so American the first film wasn't even released in America! Because it was TOO AMERICAN to be viewed.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
The Gamerstable podcast (Shannon I think) did address that Mad Max was Australian. And the main moderator of the podcast (Eric?) brought up Mary Shelley's The Last Man.

I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet, but speaking of 'Australian' post apoc media there is the novel On The Beach (1957) written by a  British-Australian author.  Two movies based on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

Anyway a Red Market's Idea inspired by their podcast is the idea that every body (corpse) tells a story. 

We've seen this in Fallout all the time and more demonstratively in Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC, where the story of the pre-war Survivalist is told through notes left at supply caches.  Most players found this story arc more compelling than the main arc for Honest Hearts.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Survivalist_hidden_cache

This isn't a new idea. Very rarely some DMs that have a real ecological and holistic sense of their D&D dungeons will do this; where you find scattered treasure, the remains of a pack and then further down some yawning lonely corridor you find the body of the adventure with his magic sword.

Edit: Come to think of it the position of bodies and what they have on them is critically important to the stories in the Souls series, including Bloodborne. (See the Prepare to Cry series by VaatiVidya: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5SCqzfFpcy82pfliyAu2kl)

But I think linking history to loot really hits home the idea of the player's mortality and subtly amps up the fear, which is specifically useful in a economic horror games like Red Markets. 

Every gain the players make is from the bones someone else's failure. Someone who had hopes and goals like them.  And it raises the question subconsciously; how long until the player's luck runs out and their only utility for the next generation is the number of unspoiled powerbars they carried with them and if they expired in a convenient place?

In the current (Episode 1) Red Market podcast, Caleb uses this technique by putting a bunch of bounty on a Captain Morgan cardboard cutout that has become half records of the missing, half shrine for the deceased.  The juxtaposition of gritty depression with the comedy of hauling a larger than life pirate picture around the Loss because it is worth more than it's weight in gold is typical Caleb (typically Stokesian?  :o)

I think Red Markets (or a supplement) would benefit greatly by at least a 1d100 table for comic/disturbing/depressing corpses to find loot on (bounty) where the body tells a story/the loot had critical meaning to the perished.  Be real useful for a GM (Market) and double as adventure seeds.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:55:56 PM by Twisting H »

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
Another Red Market's Suggestion

At some point (GDC podcast?) Caleb was wondering about how to generate a bunch of names for NPCs for Red Markets.

I suggest literally taking a page from Sine Nomine's Silent Legions and printing a page of Kickstarter backers plus playtesters for GM quick NPC names.

Not everyone has a name as memorable as Atticus Wombles but there you go.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »
I think Red Markets (or a supplement) would benefit greatly by at least a 1d100 table for comic/disturbing/depressing corpses to find loot on (bounty) where the body tells a story/the loot had critical meaning to the perished.  Be real useful for a GM (Market) and double as adventure seeds.

Another one for the list of Kickstarter stretch goal ideas, I'd say!
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

EndersLegend

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »
Not set as far in the future as Red Markets, but there might be some good inspiration from Dead State. A high school turned into a fortress. Have to fight off bandits and zombies. Maintain resources and social problems. Fun stuff all around.

EndersLegend

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2016, 11:46:50 PM »
The school from Dead State

Also Discovery Channel's The Colony might be useful for inspiration

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:30 AM »
Caleb please find a way to work this into a random table.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/30/europe/italy-mafia-arrests/

Italian police arrest 2 fugitive Mafia bosses in underground bunker

After eluding capture for years, two Mafia bosses have been arrested in an underground bunker in southern Italy.

Police seized mobsters Giuseppe Ferraro, 47, and Giuseppe Crea, 37, in Calabria region Friday, according to Italian news agency Ansa.

Ferraro was found guilty of murder and Mafia association decades ago, and had been a fugitive since 1998.

Crea was convicted of Mafia association and had been on the run for nine years, according to the news agency.

Their hideout had an array of weapons, including rifles, pistols and machine guns.

"Today is another great day for everyone and for the country because justice has won," Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said after their arrest.

Beyond Italian borders
The two men are part of 'Ndrangheta, a dangerous criminal organization that has tentacles worldwide. The group is based in Calabria, where the two men were arrested.

'Ndrangheta's power has grown beyond Italian borders.

Two years ago, Italian officials said the group is linked to drug trafficking in South and Central America, Canada and the United States.

The 'Ndrangheta was formed in the 1860s, and is involved in kidnappings, corruption, drug trafficking, gambling and murders, according to the FBI.

It has between 100-200 members in the United States, mostly in New York and Florida.

Maybe takers stumble across two skeletons in impeccable suits in a bunker handcuffed to each other, gripping each other's throats in death.

Or maybe they are playing a game of bocce underground if we push full throttle on the stereotypes.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:51 PM »

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/