Author Topic: Red Markets Inspiration  (Read 309632 times)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Red Markets Inspiration
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »

KillItWithFire

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
I remember back during the beta test, there was some question about how near future the game was going to be set, and how advanced of a replacement prosthesis could be reasonably used. This seems like a good place to put this:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/amputee-gamer-gets-bionic-arm-inspired-metal-gear-solid
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."

pigsinspaces

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
Once the end comes would this family be the boss Hogg, or first on the pyre ... https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/prepper-1.jpg

Also do a google image search for "Prepper vehicles" ...

Though really wouldn't a good mountain bike be a viable choice - relatively good on multiple surfaces, quiet, fast (ish), no fuel requirement .... Check out this photo of a "rail bike" from I wanna say the 20's http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-bikes/594125d1296173810-rail-bike-riding-railing.jpg for a logical adaptation.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »
Also do a google image search for "Prepper vehicles" ...

It's like Mad Max cosplay only they hope think it will come true.

Though really wouldn't a good mountain bike be a viable choice - relatively good on multiple surfaces, quiet, fast (ish), no fuel requirement ....

CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

pigsinspaces

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »
Groin protection being the most important element I think.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2016, 04:39:05 PM »
Groin protection being the most important element I think.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
So in episode 10 of the Brutalists AP, Caleb talks about "blueprints" with embedded 3D models that can be viewed with specs.  For anyone who has trouble picturing that, I thought I'd share the present-day inspiration for that idea here:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Skip ahead to 4:52 to see the embedded model being used.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »
defensive architecture: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-subtle-design-features-that-make-cities-feel-more-hostile

99% Invisible has just put up a podcast on that subject: Unpleasant Design & Hostile Urban Architecture

And actually they did a podcast about the same subject matter four years ago: The Arsenal of Exclusion

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
defensive architecture: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-subtle-design-features-that-make-cities-feel-more-hostile

99% Invisible has just put up a podcast on that subject: Unpleasant Design & Hostile Urban Architecture

And actually they did a podcast about the same subject matter four years ago: The Arsenal of Exclusion

Yeah I saw that article on tumblr - I'll have to catch up on 99% invisible - I've just finished Hello from the Magical Tavern backlog.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »
I'll have to catch up on 99% invisible

It's a great design podcast.  I was hooked early on with The Blue Yarn:

Sensei: What is that?
Doctor: That's a waiting area.
repeat ad nauseam
Sensei: Why are there so many waiting areas throughout this facility?  Who's waiting there?  What are they waiting for?
Doctor: Those are our patients, they're waiting for us.
Sensei: ...
Sensei: Aren't you ashamed?

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2016, 01:38:11 AM »
The Hooverville crew (Minus Ryan/Cabbie, who is still away for school) just sat down for enclave and character generation for a Bust game where Tom (Gots) is the Market and I get to play!

We decided to set it in our hometown of Elk Grove, a suburban sprawl between the bustling urban center of Sacramento and the lazy stretches of vast, endless farmland of the valley. After speculating on location we also decided to set our enclave in the Promenade mall I detailed earlier in the thread, only in the alternate near-future of Red Markets the town finally got the project off the ground and it opened full of new stores just before the Crash. Because the enclave was positioned on the literal edge of town before the asphalt and concrete of the suburbs gives way to the green and brown farmlands, we dubbed our enclave "The End". It's three primary exports are Knowledge (Bookstore converted into a reference library by an Archivist), Trade (Serves as a bazaar for the farmers to the south and survivors in the suburbs who need food), and Food (Enclave expanded into the surrounding lands to grow crops of their own). It's three primary imports are Medicine/Expertise from the Hawk's Nest, Building Supplies from the suburbs, and Ammunition from all around.

The End was a brand new Promenade mall in Elk Grove before the Crash turned Sacramento into a death zone. The local EGPD, acting in absence of orders from the civil government, designated the mall as an evacuation center where the military could extract civilians without having to venture into the Vector-infested suburban maze. When the military failed to show the police and surviving aldermen established a tenuous social order which, while descended from the democracy of pre-Crash city politics, morphed into a sort of benevolent feudalism. After a while they were joined by a convoy of truckers with trailers stuffed full of refugees--these trucks and their trailers, along with the many big rigs abandoned on adjacent highway 99, would form the foundation of the wall that protected the budding enclave.

We also recorded the entire process and we'll try to get that uploaded if anyone wants to listen, but in the meantime here are some of the ideas we concocted (Names are tentative):

Hawk's Nest: Cosumnes River College has become the most secure, prosperous enclave in the south Sacramento area. Its close proximity to a cluster of hospitals and its nursing program means they ended up with the bulk of surviving medical personnel and equipment. Its architecture makes it very defensible. And the light rail station allows it to trade with enclaves in downtown Sacramento and as far away as Folsom.

The Farmer's Guild: Their isolation and self-reliance saved many of them during the chaos of the Crash, but even they needed to band together from time to time to survive mutual threats like raiders and mobs of Casualties. They value their freedoms and privacy and will happily leave you alone if you give them the same courtesy, and The End is as far north as most of them like to travel for trade.

Jeffersons: Some ideas persist even after the end of civilization. Taking their name from the State of Jefferson movement, this combination cult/political movement believes that cities and other dense gatherings of humanity are simply repeating the mistakes of the Crash. A thousand citizens are a thousand potential Vectors, so to prevent another catastrophic outbreak mankind must disperse and scatter into smaller and smaller villages, tribes, and family units. While the Jeffersons aren't notably violent like raiders they often harass travelers and enclaves. More than one town has thrown a Jefferson crier outside the fence.

The Prosperous: In California, the raiders rob you with a smile and an eerily-sincere "God Bless". The followers of a local megachurch took their survival through the Crash as a sign that God was with them, and that was practically a blank check for them to do as they pleased. If they needed someone else's food, they took "tithe" from their neighbors--at gunpoint. If they needed "donations" or "volunteers" they helped themselves to those too. After a while enough people got together to burn their church to the ground, but all that did was "prove" to the Prosperous that they were the righteous persecuted minority, and they became a nomadic enclave traveling from tentpole revival to tentpole revival, collecting "donations" from anyone they come across.

The Campuses (WIP): A loose alliance of high school enclaves run by a Lord of the Flies-esque group of surviving students that survive by scavenging the suburbs and trading for food and other necessities. They regularly compete with one another in a series of blood sports.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head, there's probably a few things I left out. We named our Taker crew "Blacklight", and the three employees are:

"Silver", as in hands, tongue, and thirty pieces of. The negotiator of the crew, who claims to be former carbait who voluntarily left the Recession to find her fortune in the Loss and pay her family's way out of a Free Parking ghetto. In reality she is a Steward for an unnamed corporation in the Recession, sent to California for an unknown mission. Her most distinctive feature and namesake are her painfully obvious prosthetic arms. Her "dependants" are her fellow Takers and her handler in the Recession, codenamed "Black Friday".

"Rufio", an Immune wild child from the Franklin High Campus who was a student when the Crash started summer vacation early. Her innate resistance to infection has made her reckless and headstrong, and the pseudo-communist society of the Campuses has given her a dim view of capitalism. She only came to be in The End after her parents heard rumors she had survived the Crash and hired one of the enclave's fencemen to track her down and "rescue" her, which he did. Rufio was resentful at first, but after being reunited with her parents and seeing how much her "rescuer" sacrificed to bring them together she chose to stay in The End. When she ran into a woman with prosthetic arms looking for Takers, she and Galavant agreed to sign on with Blacklight.

"Galavant", a rookie EGPD officer and one of the original deputies of The End. He was a respected member of the community when Rufio's parents came to beg for his help, and more notably he was Immune. He is no longer either of these things, after an errant bite frightened his comrades into injecting him with Supressin to "save" him from infection. While his fellow deputies still see him as one of them, people now cross the street and keep their distance from a man they used to call a hero. After a while Galavant realized that he had no future in The End and agreed to join Silver's small Taker crew.

Our first game will be recorded on Friday, so look forward to that!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:41:54 AM by Jace911 »

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
Fukushima 5 years after evacuation.

This is what the lost would look like

http://m.imgur.com/a/KabxJ
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Jace911

• The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2016, 02:24:56 AM »
My first experience with actually getting to play Red Markets, in gif format:

We got absolutely shafted on negotiations, I almost got eaten by a mob of Vectors, and we very reluctantly saved a baby.

10/10

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2016, 07:47:39 AM »
Where did the baby come from?!  :o
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Tomsawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
The baby was an encounter for their first leg. They came upon a stroller sitting in the middle of the road.

Being smart players they thought "That's totally a trap" and threw a rock at it. The baby started crying because of that when they looked in the stroller and found a note saying Sorry with a bounty taped to it.

The real trap of the leg was the unexpected baby that fell into their lives  ;)