Author Topic: An offence to food - or is it?  (Read 16084 times)

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
An offence to food - or is it?
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:20:13 PM »
I recently was gifted the Lucky Peach 101 Easy Asian Recipes cookbook. I am not a stranger to various forms of Asian cooking but this book is nice because it simplifies a number of things and tries to make things more accessible for cooks who don't have access to a good Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Thai grocery to track down more difficult to find items. It is proudly "non authentic" but the things I have made have largely been good although on a few things the compromises do show. I would recommend the book to anyone looking to dip their toe into Asian cooking or who has done a bunch of Asian cooking and wants a bit of a palate cleanser but I digress from the point of the topic.

One of the recipes is for something called a St. Paul sandwich which confusedly seems to actually be a St Louis and Missouri thing. Basically it is a egg foo yung patty on a sandwich with pickles and mayo and such. I think it actually looks like it would be really good but given a number of the RPPR crew live in the Show Me State I would wonder if they had experienced such a thing in the wild and if so was it actually worth making?

Link to recipe:
http://luckypeach.com/recipes/st-paul-sandwich/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: An offence to food - or is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
ewww pickles

gross

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
I recently was gifted the Lucky Peach 101 Easy Asian Recipes cookbook. I am not a stranger to various forms of Asian cooking but this book is nice because it simplifies a number of things and tries to make things more accessible for cooks who don't have access to a good Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Thai grocery to track down more difficult to find items. It is proudly "non authentic" but the things I have made have largely been good although on a few things the compromises do show. I would recommend the book to anyone looking to dip their toe into Asian cooking or who has done a bunch of Asian cooking and wants a bit of a palate cleanser but I digress from the point of the topic.

One of the recipes is for something called a St. Paul sandwich which confusedly seems to actually be a St Louis and Missouri thing. Basically it is a egg foo yung patty on a sandwich with pickles and mayo and such. I think it actually looks like it would be really good but given a number of the RPPR crew live in the Show Me State I would wonder if they had experienced such a thing in the wild and if so was it actually worth making?

Link to recipe:

Huh, I've never heard of it before. But I'm more familiar with Kansas City stuff than I am with St. Louis stuff. I now live in Columbia, smack dab in the middle, but culturally much closer to StL than KC. I don't recall ever encountering one around here. I should ask my wife, who grew up nearer to StL and once worked in a Chinese buffet.

Sounds pretty tasty to me, though, if you use good pickles.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

+1 Hat

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
 ??? Fuzzy Dan senses... tingling...

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
Wife had never heard of it either. Sounds good to her too, though. And she likes pickles more than I do. I'd be more of a mind to replace the pickles with bacon, and have a really tasty enhanced BLT -- a BLEFYT if you will.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
Wife had never heard of it either. Sounds good to her too, though. And she likes pickles more than I do. I'd be more of a mind to replace the pickles with bacon, and have a really tasty enhanced BLT -- a BLEFYT if you will.

To put it in the most family friendly terms I am a pickle enthusiast but have to admit your idea to make this a BLT variant has my interest. I was thinking to include some cooked chicken into the egg foo yung patties but having some crispy bacon outside the patties and omitting the chicken sounds great.

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:03:39 PM »
I got that same cookbook for Christmas.  It's a really fun cookbook between the irreverent approach to authenticity and the little stories.  I really like it though I agree that the compromises show on some things.  (As an example, the rotissiere chicken ramen - sounds perfectly good, but I am kind of a purist when it comes to fancy ramen.) 

So far I think my favorite recipe so far is the celery-ground meat "Asian" "ragu".  (The quote marks are from the book.)  I had no idea that celery could be punched up that much.  It makes a really easy and cheap meal.   

The St. Paul sandwich sounds great to me and will probably be the next recipe that I try out.  I figure it will work well for weekday lunches and will report back.

I just wish I could find some decent pickles (better than Vlasic/Klausen, anyways) in central IL. 

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
I got that same cookbook for Christmas.  It's a really fun cookbook between the irreverent approach to authenticity and the little stories.  I really like it though I agree that the compromises show on some things.  (As an example, the rotissiere chicken ramen - sounds perfectly good, but I am kind of a purist when it comes to fancy ramen.) 

So far I think my favorite recipe so far is the celery-ground meat "Asian" "ragu".  (The quote marks are from the book.)  I had no idea that celery could be punched up that much.  It makes a really easy and cheap meal.   

The St. Paul sandwich sounds great to me and will probably be the next recipe that I try out.  I figure it will work well for weekday lunches and will report back.

I just wish I could find some decent pickles (better than Vlasic/Klausen, anyways) in central IL.

My housemate grows cucumbers and pickles her own refrigerator dills. They're frickin' amazing.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »

My housemate grows cucumbers and pickles her own refrigerator dills. They're frickin' amazing.

I made the pork "ragu" and used it as a pizza topping and while it needs to be thinned out a bit and needs more sichuan peppercorns it was a good start. Also made the tofu and avocado appetizer dish last night for a dinner party and people went to town on it.

I totally want a pickle now. Dam you

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:11 PM »

I made the pork "ragu" and used it as a pizza topping and while it needs to be thinned out a bit and needs more sichuan peppercorns it was a good start. Also made the tofu and avocado appetizer dish last night for a dinner party and people went to town on it.

I totally want a pickle now. Dam you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdpw66zsdef8009/20160201_184142_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Wish I could mail you one.

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:45 AM »

Link to recipe:

??? Fuzzy Dan senses... tingling...

*sniff, sniff*  wha?
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
So far I have not ended up making the St. Paul sandwich.  It turns out that bean sprouts are hard to find in central IL in the middle of winter.  While there's many versions of the Egg Foo Young, they all seem to involve bean sprouts and I'm not sure what would be a suitable substitute.

I tried just adding pickles to my normal breakfast sandwiches (egg with spinach and feta this week) and liked the result so the principle is sound.

I made the pork shoulder version of the beef satay recipe for the Superbowl.  It's solid, though a little salty as written.  If you forget about the leftovers in the fridge, they actually kind of "cure" into little pork jerky pieces, it turns out.

Fuzzy Dan: on the GroupMe, you mentioned bierocks for the Superbowl and posted a picture.  I had never heard of them before and was intrigued.  Do you have any tips for this Midwestern combination of meat and bread?