Author Topic: Hacking Red Market question.  (Read 75552 times)

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: Hacking Red Market question.
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
Great idea to use it for magic! One of the mechanical challenges to making any magic system is making it actually feel "magical," i.e. different from whatever effects naturally-occurring skills and equipment can have. If having a sweet magical sword gives me +2 to attack, but flanking my target also gives me +2 to attack -- well, what's the magic, exactly?

But if you have a radically different mechanic that *only* happens when there's magic -- that's a special feeling.

I'm thinking this would work well in the gritty swords & sorcery setting I've been contemplating, where D&D-style adventurers have already reached such crazily high levels that they basically have amassed all the worthwhile wealth in the world, and are now stomping down the populace to make sure nobody can ever threaten their preeminence. The PCs would be hard-hustling street rogues, scruffy two-bit hedge wizards, or laid-off ex-guards, trying to keep food on the table without attracting the notice of any 20th level Epic Murder Hobos.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
The PCs would be hard-hustling street rogues, scruffy two-bit hedge wizards, or laid-off ex-guards, trying to keep food on the table without attracting the notice of any 20th level Epic Murder Hobos.

I'd play. Please? Can we make this happen? With Stokesian levels of plotting and death traps?
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »
The PCs would be hard-hustling street rogues, scruffy two-bit hedge wizards, or laid-off ex-guards, trying to keep food on the table without attracting the notice of any 20th level Epic Murder Hobos.

I'd play. Please? Can we make this happen? With Stokesian levels of plotting and death traps?

Can anyone apply?
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »

Can anyone apply?

Sure!

Death traps would be a big feature, for sure. That's why the Great Heroes who own the dungeons can lay off all their little guards. You don't have to pay death traps any wages.

RadioactiveBeer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50:40 PM »

Can anyone apply?

Sure!

Death traps would be a big feature, for sure. That's why the Great Heroes who own the dungeons can lay off all their little guards. You don't have to pay death traps any wages.

Not just death traps; if the Heroes horded all the magic stuff typical in a fantasy setting to themselves, that would include magical automata, right?

"Golemisation ruined the economy! Took jobs from the hard-working fleshy types!"

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 04:10:48 AM »

Can anyone apply?

Sure!

Not just death traps; if the Heroes horded all the magic stuff typical in a fantasy setting to themselves, that would include magical automata, right?

"Golemisation ruined the economy! Took jobs from the hard-working fleshy types!"

You can't outbid the skeletal workforce.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »

Can anyone apply?

Sure!

You can't outbid the skeletal workforce.

My favorite Base Raiders character is a skeleton guard put out of work after Ragnarok, who decided to use technology to stop being a lowly mook.