Author Topic: Is the world of Pokémon post apocaliptical or post scarcity ?  (Read 15278 times)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Is the world of Pokémon post apocaliptical or post scarcity ?
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Is the world of Pokémon post apocaliptical of Post Scarcity ?

Apocalypse: There seem to be no roads or public transport. In fact there is almost no infrastructure. Further more gangs of teens are roaming the wilderness without any supervision and find almost no one except each other.  When they do encounter each other the make their slaves battle each other to establish social dominance.

On the other hand there seems to be no need for money, no one goes hungry or needy.  And violent encounters are solved any permanent damage to anyone by making invulnerable slaves battle for you. 

So I can't tell if it's post apocalyptic or post scarcity. my currently theory is: Society being post scarcity has changed it so much that I'm getting culture shock from viewing it.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Is the world of Pokémon post apocaliptical or post scarcity ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »
here's an interesting thought why not both. a genetic engineering company creates a line of bio organic beings designed to make life perfect. this goes so well that it creates a post scarcity economy. however like any technology in narratives it got taken to far, and when man created "pokemon" with the powers of mythological gods these naicient gods rebelled against us titans and almost destroyed us all until we at the last moment entrapped them. but, not before we were thrown back into a new dark age. when we came out of this dark age the age of "pokemon" has begun

as far as i recall this would best explain why in every game you have one or another "mythological" pokemon to discove, defeat, or catch.

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
here's an interesting thought why not both. a genetic engineering company creates a line of bio organic beings designed to make life perfect. this goes so well that it creates a post scarcity economy. however like any technology in narratives it got taken to far, and when man created "pokemon" with the powers of mythological gods these naicient gods rebelled against us titans and almost destroyed us all until we at the last moment entrapped them. but, not before we were thrown back into a new dark age. when we came out of this dark age the age of "pokemon" has begun

as far as i recall this would best explain why in every game you have one or another "mythological" pokemon to discove, defeat, or catch.

Would also explain why there are no animals in Pokeworld.  The Pokemons out compete them and they all went extinct.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Vega Baby

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »
First off, it's canonical that Pokemon, or at least some Pokemon, are aliens from space.  Some are genetic/computer experiments, and there are definitely some early transhumanist themes in some of the games, but I don't think there's compelling evidence that anything is particularly post-apocalyptic

Second, there are farms, and food and drink are sold in restaurants.  They aren't post-scarcity, but it is certainly true that we never see anyone really going hungry or wanting.

This is because the civilization in the Pokemon setting is a meritocracy where the primary governments are city-states ruled by the strongest Trainers, because, without Trainers, society would die.

Most, though admittedly not all, cities in Pokemon have a gym, which is where the strongest trainers live.  They are the most important people in their towns at most times, and if a government official would be involved in solving a problem that occurs in the town, it is typically the Gym Leader who handles this.  This is because the Gyms aren't just there to train new trainers; they're also there to serve as the town's governmental body and their first defense.

There are some well-maintained roads in the Pokemon universe, but you're right in that they're rare.  This isn't because of an apocalypse.  Rather, it's fundamentally impossible to maintain a road unless you can keep it protected from the regularly rampaging giant monsters in the area either through heavy application of Repels or constant defense.  As such, travel between towns is rare for anyone other than Trainers, because they're the only ones who can actually survive the trip in most places.

This is also why 10 year olds go off on these journeys.  People becoming Trainers is vital to the functioning of society.  Without them, any town would be overrun or crushed the first time an Onix gets mad and rampages through.  Trade between towns can't happen without someone to defend the transports from, say, a giant dragon attacking because you happened to go near it.  Outside of that, Pokemon are regularly used in public works; they build and repair buildings, provide power, and even provide entertainment.  Being a Trainer is insanely valuable, and in such a society, you're either valuable, or you're likely left for dead. It makes sense that families, especially those living in small villages, like the starting areas in the games usually are, would send off their children to become Trainers early.  The child needs to prove their worth, and becoming a Trainer would mean a huge change in social position for everyone in the family.  Most families probably consider it worth the risk.

CADmonkey

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »
This is because the civilization in the Pokemon setting is a meritocracy where the primary governments are city-states ruled by the strongest Trainers, because, without Trainers, society would die.

I think that the word you're grasping for here is plantocracy, rather than meritocracy.  Although in the world of Pokemon they would probably say "gymocracy".
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
First off, it's canonical that Pokemon, or at least some Pokemon, are aliens from space.  Some are genetic/computer experiments, and there are definitely some early transhumanist themes in some of the games, but I don't think there's compelling evidence that anything is particularly post-apocalyptic

Second, there are farms, and food and drink are sold in restaurants.  They aren't post-scarcity, but it is certainly true that we never see anyone really going hungry or wanting.

Most, though admittedly not all, cities in Pokemon have a gym, which is where the strongest trainers live.  They are the most important people in their towns at most times, and if a government official would be involved in solving a problem that occurs in the town, it is typically the Gym Leader who handles this.  This is because the Gyms aren't just there to train new trainers; they're also there to serve as the town's governmental body and their first defense.

There are some well-maintained roads in the Pokemon universe, but you're right in that they're rare.  This isn't because of an apocalypse.  Rather, it's fundamentally impossible to maintain a road unless you can keep it protected from the regularly rampaging giant monsters in the area either through heavy application of Repels or constant defense.  As such, travel between towns is rare for anyone other than Trainers, because they're the only ones who can actually survive the trip in most places.

This is also why 10 year olds go off on these journeys.  People becoming Trainers is vital to the functioning of society.  Without them, any town would be overrun or crushed the first time an Onix gets mad and rampages through.  Trade between towns can't happen without someone to defend the transports from, say, a giant dragon attacking because you happened to go near it.  Outside of that, Pokemon are regularly used in public works; they build and repair buildings, provide power, and even provide entertainment.  Being a Trainer is insanely valuable, and in such a society, you're either valuable, or you're likely left for dead. It makes sense that families, especially those living in small villages, like the starting areas in the games usually are, would send off their children to become Trainers early.  The child needs to prove their worth, and becoming a Trainer would mean a huge change in social position for everyone in the family.  Most families probably consider it worth the risk.

So it's so different from our world that I can't tell if it's post apocalyptic or if I'm in culture shock.  Nice to have my theory confirmed by an outside source :-)
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)