Author Topic: I ran CthulhuTech  (Read 6380 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
I ran CthulhuTech
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
I had a player out of town this week and managed to convince my normally D&D playing group to let me run them through CthulhuTech.

We played a Tager game, which is heavy combat, high action, with some investigation on the edges. I also used a variant rule where we used playing cards in place of dice for most "rolls", which worked out very well for me and the players.

After only one session I have to say that I love the game and I think it's a good system. All of my players asked, when it was over, when we could play this again.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
Re: I ran CthulhuTech
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
That's great to hear! Did you use just the core book, or material from the vade mecum (sp?)?

The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »
Primarily from the core book, though half of the characters used Tagers from Vade Mecum. In the next session they'll also encounter some of the Dhohanoids from the compainion. The card based system is from Vade Mecum. It really was a composite.

The game began slow, simply because none of them have played it before (and I've never run it before) but once they understood the overall system and got used to the card based play they really got into it. Having a hand of cards gives the players the joy of having a fairly good idea of their success or failure before they take their actions. It also lets them employ a metagame strategy while keeping in their characters more than they do in D&D.

Because cards offer very clear uses of straights and doubles (something CthulhuTech characters need to succeed in their efforts) they had a better chance to rounding out. Cards also allow for flushes, which they used alot. Another major element was the Drama Points characters get. I handed out poker chips (each player got their own color) and when they used a point they handed in the chip. As Story Guide I played off the top of the desk, so I would deal myself however many cards I needed, face down and in the open, and then ask if the players wanted to spend points. If they did than they put their chip on the card they wanted to block. When everyone was done I turned over the unblocked cards and read the results, then revealed the blocked cards. The players got a personal thrill when their chip blocked a combo or turned the tide. Since players can spend points even on actions that don't directly include them this had everyone paying attention all the time.

And finally, despite all of this out of character thinking, they almost never talked to each other out of character. All the point spends and the card laying where done fast and without player/player meetings and discussions. In the last hour of the game we made dozens of actions in rapid succession (they where in a big fight), cards literally flying around the table as I dealt my own and replaced cards used by players. The players put their hands face up on the table as well so I could see what they had but also so they could see what each other had. I like'd the idea because it paints a visual of their character in the game.

A the character of a player with a strong hand is confident, the other characters can see it on their face and in their movements that they know their gonna succeed. Conversely when a player has no combos ready or alot of aces (which can cause critical failures) their character is worried and jumpy, unsure of themselves. It all flows quickly because of the visual elements and players go with it.

The setting itself is helpful since the game is high action and the characters are badasses from day one. Tagers shot laser, tear shit apart with their bear claws, and have superpowers like hearing radios with just their ears or seeing through walls or creating illusions of themselves or boiling people's blood in their veins. Every player in the game felt awesome and it made them confident. I felt good as GM describing the nasty, horrible things they had to fight and playing up the violence and action in everything that happened.

In the course of the first session they got to have a high speed shoot out, run a car off of a highway, curb stomp some wounded monsters, wreck a very nice car that they'd stolen, and get into a massive brawl over a traveling case that was so heavy they could bearly move it. We ended with the second wave of badguys advancing on half of the team while the others rush to help them. All of the players want to play again as soon as we can.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »
I'm truly glad to hear you had that much fun trying a new game. It's getting me excited for the one-shots I've got scheduled.
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »
Yeah, it felt great to use a really new system after playing D&D for so long. Give me a chance to stretch my rules wings a little. And my players responded well to it, which was amazing.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
That's awesome. I traded for the Vade Mecum awhile ago but haven't had an opportunity to read it or even really look through it yet. Didn't even realize they had the alternate card system, which I think would really make the game unique and apart from most other RPG's mechanically. Now I'm really going to have to check it out.

Anyone have any of the story books like Dark Passions? Are they worth the cash/how neat are they?
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Dark Passions focuses on the cults. There's some mind rape stuff in there so be careful.

Damnation View, their real storybook/metaplot book, is worth the money I paid for it. Amazing read. I haven't played a game with a metaplot in like a decade so its kind of fun to be part of a big world. I do plan to run the metaplot scenarios on my players, one especially.

Hopefully I can get my group to dedicate itself to a CthulhuTech campaign so I can really pull them in.