Author Topic: The World of Synnibarr  (Read 26119 times)

mhurst

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
The World of Synnibarr
« on: July 03, 2009, 12:12:52 AM »
I was laughing so hard at Tom's butt-puckering response to "The World of Synnibarr" that I had to clear my eyes of tears and look up "Raven McCracken." Wow.

Please, please, please, PLEASE keep your vow of running this and tape your game. And please post an actual play of it.

With reviews like this, I can imagine it will be nothing short of were-awesome!

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4762.html

Has anyone on the forums ever played the ultimate in transgenre gaming?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: The World of Synnibarr
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
I made a wereman ninja as my second character - he has the flying foot chi power and a strength of 45  8)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »
Wereman? Did he turn into a man during the full moon?

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »

Yes you havent explained that one too us yet ross.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:39:54 AM »

Yes you havent explained that one too us yet ross.

That's because I still don't know. I limit my exposure to the book lest it fully erodes my already depleted reserves of sanity...

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said "The World of Synnibun".

Mmmmm. That sounds delicious.  ;D
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
I have contemplated buying this game for laughs but i would like to know would it appeal to my dnd, coc, Or mutants and masterminds player?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:56:10 PM by Karl »

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
I have contemplated buying this game for laughs but i would like to know would it appeal to my dnd, coc, Or mutants and masterminds player?

From the sounds of it, It will appeal to somone who wants realisum in a campain.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »
If I can find a copy I might buy it just to learn how not to run my games.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 02:26:27 AM »
I can definitely see it as a remedy for munchkins/powerplayers, kinda the equivalent of making someone smoke a crate of cigarettes to get them to quit smoking.

Sentinel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to sell this game to my tabletop group. Maybe "Hey guys, you know how we like to watch really bad movies together? Well Synnibarr is like Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus, but interactive... and it will take us 4 times as long to get through."

Could still be a hard sell.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
I was laughing so hard at Tom's butt-puckering response to "The World of Synnibarr" that I had to clear my eyes of tears and look up "Raven McCracken." Wow.

Please, please, please, PLEASE keep your vow of running this and tape your game. And please post an actual play of it.

With reviews like this, I can imagine it will be nothing short of were-awesome!

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4762.html

Has anyone on the forums ever played the ultimate in transgenre gaming?

That review, combined with the unsettling sound of Ross's spirit breaking during the most recent episode of the podcast, is enough for me to aver that every copy of this monstrosity ought to be permanently sealed in a block of concrete and left to rot in the deepest, darkest canyon on the bottom of the Pacific so that it can no longer taint the world with its evil. I was actually tempted to hunt down a copy just for laughs, until I read the last paragraph of the review and realized that poor Darren MacLennan had to self-immolate just to purge the dread knowledge of Synnibarr from his thoughts. To put my own spin on all the absurd hyperbole being thrown around, if you read too much Synnibarr, milk will spontaneously transmute into cottage cheese in your presence, pregnant women will give birth to flipper-limbed deformities like they'd been gulping down fistfuls of Thalidomide and crack rocks, and God will move the rapture one day closer on His Almighty appointment calendar.

Writing that sentence made me a little bit happier.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »
soooooo after hearing the podcast..... i assume weremen are some sort of wind elemental......? or perhaps a verry powerfull wind magic user... or HEAD ASPLODE!

mhurst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »
"Weremen and Werewomen have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of werewolves; they're artificial creations of the Alchemists who can absorb just about every kind of energy attack under the sun and discharge it later, as well as turning into solid shadow and teleporting." McClennan

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=474124

There I was, looking through the RPG shelf at a used bookstore. I saw it- The World of Synnibarr, of RPG.net infamy. I knew then that I must buy it, and play it. I immediately fell in love with all the crazy flying grizzly with laser vision action that it promised, and after making a few practice characters and generating an adventure using one of the endless charts, I was ready to roll.
The game started with the group making characters- totally randomly, the way it was intended. To say I got some interesting characters would be an understatement:

Rage- A tall and intimidating shadow master (read: wizard who uses psionics) he ended up being a crucial factor in the incredibly insane stuff that was about to go down. In Synnibarr, the number of spells you get is entirely random- so the fact he rolled really well meant he ended up with more than twice the spells of the other spell caster in the group, and if you think that’s broken you haven’t seen anything yet)

Shadowgrim Grimshadow- A short, fat scarlet tiger with a bad attitude (scarlet tigers are basically goku rip-offs who wear cat ears). He rolled up rich parents so you know what that means: he spent all his starting money on a big-ass missile that he could throw at people. We’re talking like a 10 foot long warhead here, too.

And finally Jasmine Lionraper- A mage warrior (they’re wizards, really nothing warrior like about them, although she did carry a magnum around and use it to good effect several times).