Author Topic: Tom's Call of Cthulhu WW2 actual play  (Read 36445 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Tom's Call of Cthulhu WW2 actual play
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:54:02 AM »
While working I've been sneaking my headphones on to listen to Tom's Call of Cthulhu Actual play debut.
So far i'm 2hrs 40mins through and I'm really impressed.

Nearly got caught out as i had to choke back laughter at...
Tom "His arm bends like this"
Ross "I shoot him"

Pure class!

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
Re: Tom's Call of Cthulhu WW2 actual play
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
I was also very impressed by this game. Tom's GMing (Keeping?) style is spot-on: he populated his game with memorable NPCs, a setting rife with vivid imagery, and a villain that made me want to scream and hide under the bed.

CAUTION: Ahead be spoilers.

I loved Grunefeld especially for the antipodal aspects of humanity and inhumanity united in his character--he listens to Mozart while he dines on human flesh, for God's sake! Kohl and Schuller turned out to be total badasses, one because he pulled himself back from the brink of insanity, and the other because he competently navigated his way through the scenario while his squad mates fumbled at every turn (thanks to Tom's lucky die rolls).

The setting was also a gem for a CoC / survival horror game--isolated, buffeted by severe weather, and somehow claustrophobic even in its open spaces. Tom dreamed up some wonderful images for the game as well. The two that come most readily to mind are the defrosting portrait of Hitler in the colonel's office and the sentry frozen to his machine gun in the guard tower. Stuff like that really puts you into the world as a player, and Tom sprinkled it in like a pro.

Perhaps the best part of the game was the villain, a presence from another place slowly changing the Nazi complex into its home away from home. The monster that chased them down a the end, the dead colonel sitting up and speaking in the bath tub where he committed suicide, and the radio that channeled the voices of the Nazis trapped in Area G were flat out awesome devices, each of which added to the inhuman power and cunning manipulations of the mysterious unseen enemy.

I hope this scenario is published at some point, because I would love to read it and run it for a group of my friends. I think they'd really get a kick out of it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:53:38 PM »
While working I've been sneaking my headphones on to listen to Tom's Call of Cthulhu Actual play debut.
So far i'm 2hrs 40mins through and I'm really impressed.

Nearly got caught out as i had to choke back laughter at...
Tom "His arm bends like this"
Ross "I shoot him"

Pure class!

I've noticed that regardless of game, whenever I play, I tend to have a violent knee jerk reaction to unnatural creatures. I remember my thoughts were "FUCK THAT THING" when Tom described the arm bending.

In a 4E game I played in, when I found a brain in a jar making undead creatures my immediate instinct was to 'KILL IT WITH FIRE'. Because seriously fuck that thing.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
Okay I have to ask this.....

Can we get a CoC with the same crew but with Cody as well?  Maybe a ransom like for the the New World primer to encourage it to get done?   Seriously I think we all want to hear what would come out of Cody's mouth in a CoC game.  
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
Okay I have to ask this.....

Can we get a CoC with the same crew but with Cody as well?  Maybe a ransom like for the the New World primer to encourage it to get done?   Seriously I think we all want to hear what would come out of Cody's mouth in a CoC game.  

I can add it to the previews for the ransom contributors

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
oh and Cody was a french resistance member and made all kinds of bad jokes about it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
oh and Cody was a french resistance member and made all kinds of bad jokes about it.

I'll pay to hear that. Consider my blood money in the bank.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »
Tom is defently a great player, and even better GM. I could only imagine what his gargoyles game are like. Great job tom.

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
I loved this actual play. It was absolutely great. I always had an inkling that Tom would be a good GM- his 10,000 year Gargoyles game he speaks of from time to time provided said inkling.

Hahah! We know your secret, Tom! You are not as suck as you say you are! :P

Now, for my favorite quote from the recording. It sounds a lot like something I'd hear at one of my games:

Tom: "There are shelves that have, like, bundles wrapped in butcher-paper..."

Ross:"Good! So I don't know what they are!"

Tom: "Then there are the gurneys in the center of the freezer..."

Ross:"Son of a fucking Bitch!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »
I loved this actual play. It was absolutely great. I always had an inkling that Tom would be a good GM- his 10,000 year Gargoyles game he speaks of from time to time provided said inkling.

Hahah! We know your secret, Tom! You are not as suck as you say you are! :P

Now, for my favorite quote from the recording. It sounds a lot like something I'd hear at one of my games:

Tom: "There are shelves that have, like, bundles wrapped in butcher-paper..."

Ross:"Good! So I don't know what they are!"

Tom: "Then there are the gurneys in the center of the freezer..."

Ross:"Son of a fucking Bitch!"

hahahah yeah I know how that song and dance goes and it does not end well for the PC usually

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:52 AM »
What I loved about my game of Tom's CoC was that every joke I made, Ross gave me a look as if I had really crossed the line. He was really worried about the sensibilities of the listeners and every French joke I made was met with cringes.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »
I like listening to everybody worry about making their spot hidden rolls and rejoicing when the fail.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
What I loved about my game of Tom's CoC was that every joke I made, Ross gave me a look as if I had really crossed the line. He was really worried about the sensibilities of the listeners and every French joke I made was met with cringes.

the French Resistance was badass and you know who else makes fun of the French in general? That's right. Bill O'Reilly. You wanna be that guy?

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »

the French Resistance was badass and you know who else makes fun of the French in general? That's right. Bill O'Reilly. You wanna be that guy?

You who else makes fun of the French?
The English

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

You who else makes fun of the French?
The English

And who bombed the English?

Germans, that's who.