Author Topic: Thoughts on Burning Wheel?  (Read 10767 times)

ShotgunSurgeon

Thoughts on Burning Wheel?
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »
I picked up Mouse Guard a while back. Read through it, and it seems pretty good. Haven't had the chance to play yet, but I think I have a fairly good feel for how it might play.

I've heard Burning Wheel described as "Mouse Guard with its big boy pants on." I'm thinking about picking it up to take a look. After perusing RPG.net, it seems like ppl either love or hate the game. Before I take the plunge, I just wanted to check in and see if any of you had played BW and get your thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:28:46 AM by ShotgunSurgeon »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Burning Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
There was a Play by post game of it I think in the PBP thread. might want to check that out. I didnt keep up on it my self but might have some helpfull tips in it.

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=259.0

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »
There was a Play by post game of it I think in the PBP thread. might want to check that out. I didnt keep up on it my self but might have some helpfull tips in it.

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=259.0

Thanks Boyos. I did check out that thread. Specifically looking for Burning Wheel stuff though. I've heard it's similar to Mouse Guard, but different enough that it might not appeal to the same people.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »
Tom and I got to play Mouse Guard at Fear the Con this weekend. It's fun. I like it and I will probably get both wheel and mouse guard.

No recording of the game though. Someone else was running it and I didn't want to impose. I just wanted to chillax and play.

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
I have played mouseguard once, it was a adhoc game run at a game store primarly to expose players and their kids to the game.  I was playing with my five year old, and another fellow was playing with his eight year old son.  My daughter was a bit young for it, but it wasn't so much over her head she was clueless, just pushing her limits a bit.  She is a fairly well raised geek kid, so its not like this is some 'normal' five year old off the street.  The eight year old seemed to really get into the game, was grasping the rules and had no problems following along.  The session was only thirty minutes long, but we had alot of fun.  My daughter still remembers it a month later and wants to play again.

The GM wants to start a burning empire game, but I don't think I will be able to attend due to my schedule departure from the states in a few months.  If I do though i will post here with my thoughts.  I believe that burning empire is based on buring wheel core rules, but im not 100% on this...

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »
My daughter still remembers it a month later and wants to play again.

That's pretty awesome. Get 'em hooked while they're young.  ;)

The GM wants to start a burning empire game, but I don't think I will be able to attend due to my schedule departure from the states in a few months.  If I do though i will post here with my thoughts.  I believe that burning empire is based on buring wheel core rules, but im not 100% on this...

I forgot about Burning Empires. I think that it's a different rules set but still keeps some of the mechanics from core. The setting premise of Burning Empires sounds interesting. Battlestar Galactica meets Dune with mind-controlling alien worms. yummy!

Valegor

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fear the Boot
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »
I have not played Mouseguard, but I did play Burning Wheel:  The Gift at Fear the Con.  There is so much replace potential in that module.  Overall though I really liked the system.  The debate mechanics are particularly fun. 

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:55:08 AM »
here is so much replace potential in that module.

What does that mean?

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
I think he means "replay potential."  But it's just a guess.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »
I think he means "replay potential."  But it's just a guess.

Ah... thanks. I should have seen that.

As a side note, I picked up the books today. After doing some read throughs, I might try to organize a one shot. It'll give me a good opportunity to get used to skype, etc. before any recorded sessions. Still would love to hear what people think.

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
I forgot about Burning Empires.

I was able to play the Burning Empire game on saterday.

We started with a 'World Burning' which was basicly the players/gm brainstorming the world.  There were a series of questions the gm went through, what part of the galaxy do you want to play on.  Think Star wars Coruscant vs Tatooine vs serenity outer rim.  Next was Planet type, including enviroment, goverment, crime, religion etc.  After a few more steps we started working on some characters that would be involved in that world.

We pulled characters from that list to start making our characters.  We didn't have a chance to finish character creation and we wanted to play through a quick scene, so we did that before we broke for the day.  We plan to play again this weekend with characters were building up at home.

The character creation process is pretty intresting, Im not quite done yet, but it seems to be heavly involved with life paths that define your characters history/back story.  So far its a very interesting game world!

I will post more as the game progresses.

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
My usual gaming group recently switched up DMs, and I decided to break away from our usual D&D paradigm and take up the mantle of Burning Wheel. So far, I love this system and can't say enough good things about it. I am currently using it to run a Westeros-based game. If you aren't familiar with the A Song of Ice and Fire series by GRRM, think low fantasy, human-only, high political intrigue, gritty medieval society. I suppose I would make one small addendum to this paragraph: Burning Wheel is an excellent system if you want a gritty game with infrequent and extremely deadly combat. Think of it as the anti-D&D.

Anyway, here's a basic rundown of the awesomeness:

* You don't get experience or levels. Your skills advance in a scaling fashion based on how often you use them in situations where failure is a risk.
* Beliefs and Instincts. The former is a small list of moral values or personal beliefs that say to the DM, "I want to encounter these things in game, or have these ideas challenged and tested for character development". Instincts are essentially If/Then, Always or Never statements that are immutable and unable to be affected by DM narrative. The DM can, however, tempt the player of the character to submit to their instincts in order to create an awkward situation, which the player is then rewarded for.
* Duel of Wits: Social combat, essentially. Two sides form an argument body and attack that body with a series of rhetorical jabs, parries, and sometimes even outright insults.
* Combat is very deadly, and is not entirely reliant on the dice pool available to each combatant. Even with wide gaps in skill, the underdog can outwit his or her opponent, get a strike or two in and end the fight.
* Artha: a point reward system that exists in 3 categories and can be used to alter dice tests, save oneself from the brink of death, and gain "epiphanies", which are like skill improvements but way more badass.

Just so I don't come off as a total fanboy (even if I sort of am right now): I will say that while Burning Wheel manages to use terminology that builds on itself and present concepts that are modeled in-game in an intuitive way, there is a bit of a learning curve not just for the DM, but also the players. It may require playtesting to get the hang of some of the more detailed parts of the game; Especially the detailed combat system.

I've only DMed 3 sessions of my game so far, and I can see things going much more smoothly as time goes on and my players and I learn more together. And really, considering the breadth of the system, the first session went surprisingly well.

Bowzachi

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
Cool, I bought the Burning Wheel core books a while back because they sounded really intriguing but I've never gotten a chance to see it in play. I am having a hard time imagining how it all works together and I would really love if a bunch of Actual Play episodes went up for this system.