Author Topic: Dragon Age  (Read 12827 times)

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
Dragon Age
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
http://greenronin.com/dragon_age/

So the game comes out this November, promising to be epic. And Green Ronin is/has developed a PnP RPG based on the game, which doesn't yet have a release.
I heard, vie the Green Ronin forums, that it is going to be a 3d6+modifier type of system.
I've downloaded the character generator (for the PC) and tooled around with  it a bit.

Is anyone else looking forward to this? Or thoughts on a new game from Green Ronin?
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Dragon Age
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
Hadn't heard about it, must've gotten it mixed in with the Dragon Age video game.

I like Green Ronin's stuff so I'll certainly check it out. A new dungeon crawling game is always fun to have around. I'm a little worried about the "Dark Fantasy" tag there because my current group is basically unable to do anything dark.

Also, 64 pages is not alot of space, unless they write really small and have no pictures so I'm guessing there's no large skill section or spell lists
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:20:56 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

Kyyrn

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
Allready pre-ordered the game. I'm always hesitant to buy pnps based on video games, however I might check it out just for ideas.  The rpg market has been a little less than stellar due to the rise of mmos so it's nice to see a highly anticipated game return to story driven RPGs.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
From what I've gathered the first 64 page players book covers levels 0-5.
And there are only three classes.

There is some speculation that more books will follow (if this one sells) that will include lvs 6-11.
7th level is apparently when things get hairy and they start introducing talent trees.

And yeah, I think I'll wait at least till the second book comes out before I drop some dollars.
I am eager to see what they do mechanics wise to encourage "stunts."
I wish I was Tom.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Unless they've changed it, the first release is supposed to be a boxset. It's like they're going so hard into the past to pull out awesome, it's going to be very hard to avoid.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
Any news of a release date? I mean, the vidja game has been waffling around (first due Oct 20th, now Nov. 3rd).

And i like the idea of Talent trees translating into a PnP game, are there other systems that do this already?
I wish I was Tom.

pwvogt

• View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
Star Wars saga edition has a very limited version of this with their talents. Besides sharing a name, you proceed with fulfilling prerequisites that make your Jedi a little bit different from the Jedi standing next to you. You only ever pick like 7 or 8 talents, but it is something, one of my favorite things about the system.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
YEah well Five DAYS!!!
I wish I was Tom.

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:24:13 AM »
Got the deluxe edition of the game, worth it.  Super fun game, been playing it alot and not even close to 1/6 of the way done...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
Anyone purchase the Warden's Tower DLC?
We might as well turn this into a spoilers posting thread, whos down?

I know I am.

*spoiler alert*

So for the Brescillian forrest Dalish Elf Quest, I totally persuaded the werewolves to revolt against the elves.
I wish I was Tom.

Tissue

• I am a rock and roll star
    • View Profile
    • Sirkus
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
The game is pretty good,  for those who grew up on old school RPG's it will fit in well,  my younger brother who is 16 is enjoying it but occasionally says things like,  why can't it be more like Oblivion or Fable,  which are both awesome games but really isn't what this is meant to be.

For those who liked the Never Winter Night franchise this is a must

I have the Warden's keep DLC btw Shallzar,  it was a fun quest,  small but definately worth the 500 xbox GP.  I think it's free on PC.

It is an annoyingly huge game.  I've barely scratched the surface and i've put 10 hours into it already.
www.myspace.com/sirkusrocks

This is my band,  check us out.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »

For those who liked the Never Winter Night franchise this is a must

I was watching a few of there development videos and they used the Never winter nights designe tools to set up the levels how big they were and where they would put everything in at. then of course gave it to the next guys who just made it look bad ass instead of the old NWN Graphics haha. So NWN played a pretty big part in the development of the game.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty thankful for this game. Currently I'm forcing my gf to play through as a sexy elf. She likes the game enough to play for 3 hours at a time.
I wish I was Tom.

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 03:29:39 AM »
Yeah, I am pretty thankful for this game. Currently I'm forcing my gf to play through as a sexy elf. She likes the game enough to play for 3 hours at a time.
Completely with you there dude, I managed not long ago to get the Wife into play Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3. 5 mins into her watching me play Dragon age and the disk is out of the Drive and into her computer faster than you can say 'Pussy whipped'...

At least it meant that it was a very quiet Saturday thats for sure.
Kick ass game though!

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »
Bloooodd. So much bloooooodddd. I'm not against blood, I actually think it's funny, but I find it kinda weird to see your character covered in rat blood talk to people, not a care in the world, without so much as wiping the extra off his face.

I love the dog though. (With the human noble, not sure if others have one.)