Author Topic: Session lengths  (Read 5854 times)

ugnis13

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Session lengths
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
Ive been re-listening to all of the New World Sessions lately, and all the game sessions are 4-6 hours. My group wont play unless our sessions are at least 8 hours, but they usually run for about 12 hrs, every other saturday from noon till midnight. Does anyone else play that long, or is it just us?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Session lengths
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
Never. Mine are 2-4 hours normally. 6-7 for a really long, once in awhile game.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:40:29 PM »
its hard to get a group of 4-6 people to dedicate half a day to a game in my opinion. I have hard enough time getting a group of 3 including a dm to have a schedual that allows 4 hours of game play. haha.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
I've played in longer games like that but they seem to not get as much done. Groups lose focus/attention after so many hours and breaks for food/smokes/whatever eat up more time.

We get shit done. The game might be 3-4 hours but shit fucking happens.

8)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »
We usually start from 5pm on a sunday till about 11pm but throughout that time its mainly interspersed with talking or goofing around. The Actual plays have more going on in them for their 3-4 hrs than my group gets through in a few weeks.

Personally, it really gets on my tits but what can you do?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »
I've played in longer games like that but they seem to not get as much done. Groups lose focus/attention after so many hours and breaks for food/smokes/whatever eat up more time.

We get shit done. The game might be 3-4 hours but shit fucking happens.

8)

Agreed. When Karee and I gamed consistently with the RPPR crew, the game length was consistently three hours (7:00-10:00). If it went over three hours, people go restless. Now we did have some epic D&D combat sessions that lasted longer, but they were consistently moving with no down time.

I've played anywhere from three hours to ten hour games and I prefer the three to six hour session the most. It allows me to budget my time the most effectively during the week, which is essential for what I do.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
I really try to keep our sessions to 4-6 hours though it's almost always closer to 6 with getting prepped, ordering food, and screwing around. I don't think I could DM much more than 6 hours. After that, my mind isn't sharp enough to improvise. Also, my fiance would probably put the smack down when I got home.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Chibi Jae

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:34:34 PM »
I generally prefer to run game sessions that run around six hours in length, however that seems to occur pretty rarely now a days much to my own frustration.

The group I used to game with a few years ago preferred to play in marathon long game sessions that would be between twelve to fourteen hours on a Saturday or a Sunday, and much woe to anyone that had life get in the way of their dice rolling and chortles of laughter. You know, things like a job, death in the family, passing a gull stone or contorting a testicle. They thought of themselves as hardcore, and that a game session wasn't real unless you spent the entire waking day sitting in their cramped, cat infested apartment and listened to them argue, fight or run off to the other room for a quickie while the rest of us were either engaged in life or death mortal combat, fighting the GM's overly built NPC's or having our brains try to escape our skulls while figuring out some blatantly illogical mind teaser.

For the last year I tried GM's for a group whose game sessions managed to last around an hour and half on average, with the players more concerned about other thing then coming over to game. You know, those important things like viewing YouTube videos, trolling forums that should not be named, catching up on gossip or texting on their cell phones. On occasion, we managed to run a few sessions that were three hours long, but those were rarities, since getting everyone here on time and starting seems to have been about as difficult as teaching a fish how to play a banjo.

Out of years of gaming, for me five to eight hours is the preferred length of time to keep the game itself flowing as well as the attention of everyone sitting around the gaming table. Anything less and players or the GM gripe how the game isn't moving or the feel like nothing is being accomplished and anything over that, they forget or lose interest in what is going on or get tired of being around everyone and begin to get antsy and argumentative. Of course, all of this could just be an Ohio thing from our complete and total lack of Vitamin D, since the sun has much better things to do then rise and fall over the Buckeye State.