Author Topic: The review of Paranoia XP  (Read 12281 times)

bigznak

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
The review of Paranoia XP
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »
Hey just listened to the latest podcast today.  I will say that I love playing Paranoia XP with my friend who is a excellent gamesmaster for this game.  He plays the role of the computer to a tee.  I have played this game as one shots and enjoyed it every time.  I would be interested to see the game run as a little more serious campaign, but don't think it could be done as well as its has been in the one shots I have played in.  I just played in a game with my friend last Saturday, and it was a blast playing the role of the hygeine officer.  Remember, "A clean team is a mean team!"

Great podcast guys, look forward to each new one.  I am still listening to all the new world game sessions.  Loved the tides of doom so much I went out and bought the adventure book.  Love the supplemental stuff you added too Ross.  Thanks for all your hard work you guys.

Chris

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: The review of Paranoia XP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Thanks! Don't forget to comment in the episode entry. A lot of people don't check the forums so the comments are more noticeable.

We will run and record at least a one shot of paranoia XP and Cthulhutech some day.

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »
I had always considered Paranoia good for a one-shot where you get out all your GM frustrations by crunching the PCs into a fine paste and watch as they tear at one another like rapid dogs for your amusement. However, the idea Paranoia XP proposes for a serious game in Alpha Complex intrigues me. I've been kicking around a few ideas in this vein; from a 'I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream' character based game to a steampunk Alpha Complex of clockwork horrors and massive engines belching thick acrid smoke a la 'The Machine Stops'. The only problem I have is that the Paranoia system doesn't really appeal to me. I've considered replacing it with Unisystem.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »
I had always considered Paranoia good for a one-shot where you get out all your GM frustrations by crunching the PCs into a fine paste and watch as they tear at one another like rapid dogs for your amusement. However, the idea Paranoia XP proposes for a serious game in Alpha Complex intrigues me. I've been kicking around a few ideas in this vein; from a 'I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream' character based game to a steampunk Alpha Complex of clockwork horrors and massive engines belching thick acrid smoke a la 'The Machine Stops'. The only problem I have is that the Paranoia system doesn't really appeal to me. I've considered replacing it with Unisystem.

You could use Risus or Wushu since there's so easy to customize. Sounds fun though. Would this be a one shot or campaign?

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
You could use Risus or Wushu since there's so easy to customize. Sounds fun though. Would this be a one shot or campaign?

The original idea of the steampunk one came to me as the beginning of an Iron Kingdoms campaign. The players would escape their underground dystopia into the world of Iron Kingdoms and now have the choice of going on and startling their lives fresh or perhaps gathering strength for a future return to their home to liberate the others. However, as I sat down to start writing it I realized I had a lot more fun writing about the complex and the thought something this cool was going to play such a bit part in the story seemed like a waste to me. So, the way I have it structured now would be a one or two shot with the first session being about introducing the place to the players while feeding them tidbits which shatter their characters' perceptions about the status quo. The second would be some event which either they've instigated (stirring discontent) and has gotten out of control or an event that happens outside of them which lets the players now that this life all of them they have been living is unsustainable. It then becomes focused around escaping the complex while evading the 'authorities'. If they want to try and convince others to join them, they can, but they know they'll be under the gun and some of the residents are stubborn and remain deluded.

Anyway that's my outline thus far. A lot of the particulars remain to be decided and I'm more than open to suggestions.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
I know nothing about Iron Kingdoms but the idea of a paranoia steampunk game is awesome. Lots of monocles, working orphans to death in factories, satanic mills, and colonialism!