Author Topic: Venture Bros  (Read 23984 times)

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Venture Bros
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »
I was listening to some old eps and heard Ross mentioning a Venture style campaign, what happened to this? It sounded like it was going to get posted...
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Venture Bros
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
The Bear Swarm guys all tried to fight Dr. McNinja, remember? Unless your thinking of another Venture Brothers campaign.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Yeah, it fell apart because the Bear Swarm guys didn't mesh with Tom and I. First session was okay but it all went to hell on the second session

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
Yeah, it fell apart because the Bear Swarm guys didn't mesh with Tom and I. First session was okay but it all went to hell on the second session

Tell us more? Who threw the first punch?

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:17:34 AM »
I've been tinkering with doing something different with my group and its basically come down to my group wanting something 'fun' and different, so far we've been playing D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Warhammer Fantasy and Sla Industries. All of which were fun in their own way but not 'different'. To this end i proposed a Superhero game and after hearing Tom and Cody singing the praises of Mutants and masterminds 2nd ed along with the Age of Masks AP i felt that this would be different enough. Thankfully the group agrees and now its down to the setting, I was thinking of the original Freedom city setting but with a Venture Brothers/The Tick twist.

My only problem is where to start...

Any suggestions?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
I ran a short lived Venture Bros. themed game. I had the players make PL 7 characters who where aspiring to either become heroes or join the Guild of Calamitous Intent. Each "team" had to share an apartment and the apartments, while in seperate buildings, are only about three feet apart because they are on the same floors in their respective building. The place was a developement style building complex so the structures where built in a half circle and very close together.

The game basically consisted of the would-be villains trying to think of things to do to build their street cred while the heroes listened to them through the window and followed the villains whenever they left, thinking they could thwart the villains and gain some standing.

It wasn't a serious game, the players bearly knew how to work the system, two out of five people never even really used their powers, and we only played once but there was some fun. Alot of time was devoted to heroes and villains shouting at each other through their windows and then me (using my wide range of colorful accents) cutting in as other people in the developement complex shouting at them for shouting. There was a quick fight right at the end becasue the heroes followed the villain group supermarket that somebody else was robbing, which got everyone involved in a fight.

Best part was the villain players started calling the heroes "The Campers", and since they where yelling it during the supermarket fight I decided the name stuck with the public.

So my suggestion is: do not mix heroes and villains into the same over all playing group unless they are experienced enough to handle it. However, do start your players off sharing an apartment. It is hiliarious, especially if any of the players have every shared living space with any of the other players.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:32:21 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »

It wasn't a serious game, the players bearly knew how to work the system, two out of five people never even really used their powers, and we only played once but there was some fun. Alot of time was devoted to heroes and villains shouting at each other through their windows and then me (using my wide range of colorful accents) cutting in as other people in the developement complex shouting at them for shouting. There was a quick fight right at the end becasue the heroes followed the villain group supermarket that somebody else was robbing, which got everyone involved in a fight.

Best part was the villain players started calling the heroes "The Campers", and since they where yelling it during the supermarket fight I decided the name stuck with the public.

I think you've capture the essence of Venture Bros right there.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
What is this game you all are talking about??
Kenders Rock

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
Ross referenced a Mutants and Masterminds game he ran, themed after Venture Brothers, in an episode of the podcast some months ago. Basically the players where villains who wanted to in good with the Guild of Calamitous Intent. The players where Tom and the cast of the Bear Swarm podcast.

We don't have much information but the details are as follows:

*The characters, as villains, need a hero to "arch".
*Ross gave them a very powerful hero to arch, assuming that they would spend most of their time trying to come up with plans rather than attack the hero directly.
*Ross was wrong because the crew attacked the hero.
*The hero was based off of the webcomic character Dr. McNinja and if you've seen the comic you probably have a pretty good idea how that would do.
*Game ends part way through session two.

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:18:36 PM »
*Ross gave them a very powerful hero to arch, assuming that they would spend most of their time trying to come up with plans rather than attack the hero directly.
*Ross was wrong because the crew attacked the hero.

I gotta say, that's why I enjoy the people playing in the MnM game I'm currently running. They understand what it's like to "move at the speed of plot" as they put it. They had a prime opportunity to get into a fight they had no chance of winning but definitely realized it and opted for a more tactical solution. Of course, that tactical solution has extended into several sessions and achieving steps toward a plan is more fun than dying in one fight.

RobJustice

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
The Bear Swarm guys all tried to fight Dr. McNinja, remember? Unless your thinking of another Venture Brothers campaign.

Not quite. The game was a lot of fun for the first session and a half. Then we went to menace Dr. McNinja. I stole his tongue depressors and jumped out of a window while Mike harassed his receptionist. Then Tom threw a bus at his clinic. Mike and I hung Tom out to dry and everything went down hill really quickly.

I just wanted to clarify, it wasn't that we weren't playing Venture style its just that we weren't prepared for Ross and Tom's style. I mean, we were bumbling super villains... and we bumbled and got our shit pushed in for it.

No hard feelings between RPPR and BS! it was fun while it lasted.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:42 AM »
That actually sounds like fairly normal Venture Brothers bumbling. Except for the throwing a bus thing. Did Tom's character happen to be reptilian in nature?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Well Dr. McNinja let you go or you escaped pretty easily. I don't even remember what he actually did to you other than chase you off. I remember after that you had to fight some other villains to defend your base and you beat them pretty soundly but you got on a bus and left the city. I don't remember the specifics though.

btw I think a bumbling villain losing is a very important Venture Brothters theme - after all the Monarch loses to Brock pretty much every time and so on and so on. Hell, pretty much every Venture Brothers is defined by how badly they lose and how they respond - even Brock gets his ass kicked several times.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
It can be a little tricky to mimic with M&M though, unless everyone takes the minion feat a few times. The Monarch, for example, tends to lose a dozen or so henchmen to Brock during their encounters. Same holds true even for more physically capable villains like Baron Underbheit. Most of the villains retreat as soon as it looks like there's going to be a clear path between themselves and Brock.

Most of the 'operations' I can recall having any degree of success where undertaken when the henchmen are drunk.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:33:11 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
well basically they went straight up against a competent hero without a plan or any preparations even after their NPC mentor (Baron von Under bite) told them that was a bad idea. So I just ran the encounter straight.