General Category > RPGs

Anecdote Megathread

<< < (49/66) > >>

Moondog:

--- Quote from: Wooberman on April 04, 2012, 06:10:43 PM ---Okay I'm a terrible person but here's another winner from Reddit's Rpg subreddit -

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/rog1k/whats_the_most_creative_misuse_of_rules_youve_seen/

--- End quote ---

That paladin with the helmet is a goddamn hero.

Wooberman:
Another classic from yog-sothoth

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/showthread.php?p=245138

bidoof:
So the first real RPG I played in was a really clunky internet forum homebrew system.  It was poorly designed and very unbalanced, but since we were all friends most of us tried to make characters that worked well together.

Not Bob, though.  Bob made a long string of terrible, min maxed characters, each less memorable than the last.  When we came up with an advantages/disadvantages system, he decided to get rid of his 8th character and make a new one, since disadvantages gave you a few extra character points.

His new character was Gunbot (that was his actual name), a police robot that specialized in shooting guns.  He hated evil.  This didn’t seem too bad, until you looked at his disadvantages and noticed a trend.

Intolerance: Gunbot is intolerant of evil.
Personal Vow: Kill evil people.
Obsession: Destroy evil.
Duty: Gunbot has a duty to kill evil where ever it is.
Berserk: Gunbot goes berserk in the presence of too much evil.
Bloodlust: Gunbot gets really angry around evil.
OCD: Gunbot is compelled to kill evil.
Code of Conduct: Gunbot cannot let evil exist near him.
Stubborn: Nothing can deter gunbot from his fight against evil.
Fanatic: Gunbot is fanatic in his quest against evil.
Phobia: Cats.
Depression: Gunbot is depressed when evil wins.
Sadist: Gunbot is sadistic in his extermination of evil.

The guy knew what he wanted, at least.

Wooberman:

--- Quote from: bidoof on May 28, 2012, 11:07:04 PM ---So the first real RPG I played in was a really clunky internet forum homebrew system.  It was poorly designed and very unbalanced, but since we were all friends most of us tried to make characters that worked well together.

Not Bob, though.  Bob made a long string of terrible, min maxed characters, each less memorable than the last.  When we came up with an advantages/disadvantages system, he decided to get rid of his 8th character and make a new one, since disadvantages gave you a few extra character points.

His new character was Gunbot (that was his actual name), a police robot that specialized in shooting guns.  He hated evil.  This didn’t seem too bad, until you looked at his disadvantages and noticed a trend.

Intolerance: Gunbot is intolerant of evil.
Personal Vow: Kill evil people.
Obsession: Destroy evil.
Duty: Gunbot has a duty to kill evil where ever it is.
Berserk: Gunbot goes berserk in the presence of too much evil.
Bloodlust: Gunbot gets really angry around evil.
OCD: Gunbot is compelled to kill evil.
Code of Conduct: Gunbot cannot let evil exist near him.
Stubborn: Nothing can deter gunbot from his fight against evil.
Fanatic: Gunbot is fanatic in his quest against evil.
Phobia: Cats.
Depression: Gunbot is depressed when evil wins.
Sadist: Gunbot is sadistic in his extermination of evil.

The guy knew what he wanted, at least.

--- End quote ---

No shit, Cats can be pretty damned scary.

IDaMan008:
I promised you guys this story a while back, and I don't think you ever got it, so here goes:

It's a high school game of 2nd Edition Mage: The Ascension. My good friend Erik is Storytelling, and he's got four players: Alex, Ed, Chuck and me. We roll up our characters, as it is supposed to be a one-shot, and Erik takes Alex and Ed aside in a conspiratorial fashion. He's got special plans for them. When the game starts, we find out that their characters are missing, and it's up to Chuck and myself to find them. We go through about 30-40 minutes of investigation before our characters are overcome by something I don't remember--Gas? A magic spell? In any case, we pass out.

All the while, Alex and Ed are patiently waiting for their special moments in the spotlight.

Erik hands me and Chuck new sheets and tells us that we wake up as two completely different characters with all of the memories of our previous ones, including the bit where we fell unconscious. We are, understandably confused. Ed and Alex are there to greet us, but not as their main characters, either. They're playing two sinister NPCs who we don't know. We ask them what happened, why we passed out, what the fuck we're doing in different bodies, etc, but they give us no response. Instead, they handcuff us and shove us into the backseat of their car at gunpoint so that they can drive us off to God knows where. At this point, both of us look down at the sheets Erik handed us.

Chuck: So we're these other characters now?
Erik: You are, but from your perspective, you're still your original PCs.
Me: But these guys have completely different stats and skills. How does that work?
Erik: You don't know. You suddenly realize you have all these new abilities.
Me: Okay...

With a thrill that borders on pure glee, I see that my new character is an Akashic Brother with three dots of Do and a Dex pool of four. I tell Erik that I'd like to karate kick whoever is sitting in the seat in front of mine, because these people obviously don't have our best interests at heart. I succeed and roll enough damage to kill Ed's NPC instantly. My character kicks a hole in the front seat and the poor bastard sitting there. (To this day I have no idea how he had the leverage to do that, but...magical karate!) Chuck, meanwhile, makes a Dex+Athletics check to slip his cuffs under his ass and around his legs so that he's got his hands in front of him. Just as Alex's character (who's driving, I think) turns with his gun drawn to shoot me in the face, Chuck wraps the cuffs around his neck and strangles him to death.

We all turn to Erik expectantly, waiting to see where the game goes from here, but he's got nothing. He throws in the towel.

All told, Chuck and I had fun, but Alex and Ed did nothing but sit around for the better part of an hour waiting, only to be killed off in a few short rounds of combat. I'm sure it could have been a really great game for all of us, but player logic and bad luck on their part cut it short.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version