General Category > RPGs

Anecdote Megathread

<< < (59/66) > >>

D6xD6 - Chris:

--- Quote from: trinite on June 24, 2015, 10:48:17 AM ---Hope that was a really fast car.

--- End quote ---

Well, at the beginning of the scenario, she got to choose between a fast car and a maneuverable one.  She promptly explained that there really was no choice, and only stupid-heads would take the slower car.

She was right!

The Lost Carol:
I know this isn't QUITE an anecdote, but don't know where else to put it.

In part two of After Hours, David's book report is from a supplement for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Inside the book was the name and address of the prior owner, a private second class from the US Army. My IRL crew runs ADND exclusively (I know, it's my Palladium, I'm trying to get them to play new stuff...,) so I wanted to pick up the Player's Handbook in case I wanted to run a campaign. After opening the shipping bag and flipping through it, what did I find in the back of the book? A pair of schedules for January 1996, from a group from the US Air Force. What're the odds? I didn't think there was a stereotype of military men playing DND...

Severite:
The most humiliating TPK I have seen was a module I ran (I don't remember the company.......) that was a Dracula's mansion kind of thing. Well, in this adventure are a pair of obelisks, one has the inscription "For greater wisdom insert weapon here with a slot to do so beneath it. When one inserts a weapon it breaks (the weapon) and a card pops out that says "One does not gain wisdom through the use of weapons". The second obelisk inscription reads "For greater intelligence, insert head here" with a slot big enough to except such...........after the first decapitation, the players decide it must be alignment specific and they all give it a go......

sinanju:
I was running The Expendables in GURPS. Think Stargate, only exploring alternate dimensions instead of distant planets. The PCs were a a group of hardened rules lawyers who strained to carry a huge inflated liferaft filled with a mountain of gear for every conceivable environment and situation thru the gate, then figured out what they actually needed. (I told them "only what you can carry, and you have a 30-second window" and this is what they came up with. I couldn't argue.)

So in this adventure I had them step through the portal and find themselves tumbling into a huge mass grave filled with corpses. My intent was to have them running and gunning in a world where the Walking Dead were running amok. (The mass grave was where the government was dumping the zombies who'd been killed for good.)

But the players/characters immediately fell into Paranoid mode. They began spinning increasingly elaborate theories about a dystopian US under a brutal martial regime... and it sounded a lot more entertaining than my idea so I ran with it. They were chased by black-clad minions of the President-For-Life and his ruling junta, and eventually were cornered by a helicopter gunship. The gunship pilot demands their immediate surrender over the speaker system.

Most of the players can't drop their weapons and throw their hands in the air fast enough. All except Frank, whose player is not good at quick decisions, hates to lose, and will occasionally decide to take his personal Custerian stand at the oddest times. So he decides that this is the perfect time to pit his MP5 against the armored gunship with the mini-gun trained on him.

He gets off a couple of shots (to no effect).

A few other PCs all run for cover while the mini-gun hoses down Frank. One PC remains absolutely still, hands in the air.

The mini-gun turns Frank into swiss cheese, then makes short work of the fleeing PCs.

The surviving PC is taken into custody and placed in an interrogation room. They have a few questions.

"I sing like a bird," says the player. After all, he reasons, he's missed his window to return (if the PCs don't return on schedule after two tries, the address is written off). Once he convinces the authorities that he's not a rebel, he's got a good shot at getting recruited to join the black-clad minions enforcing the junta's rule. And that's way better than going to jail, or getting a bullet in the back of the head. And so he does.

clockworkjoe:
Good story, but what happens next? It sounds like he's effectively out of the campaign as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version