Author Topic: Anecdote Megathread  (Read 343865 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Anecdote Megathread
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
In the same vein, referencing another game, I'm honestly amazed anyone wanted to get out of the car at Chicago House.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »
In the same vein, referencing another game, I'm honestly amazed anyone wanted to get out of the car at Chicago House.

Yes! Especially considering how long it took us to get away from the damnable air strip.   ;D
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Sentinel

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
I went even further early in an Eberron campaign. At level 3, one of our allies turned against the party and tried to kill my girlfriend's character. He had secretly been leading us into the clutches of the setting's Big Bad for weeks. I "accidentally" killed him while negotiating for her release, which unfortunately meant we couldn't get any information from him. I wanted to cast Speak With Dead, but I wouldn't get the spell until 5th level. So naturally, I carried his head around with me for the next two levels (several weeks worth of game time).

Until now I hadn't considered the DM's reaction. It was probably a lot like yours. Something about D&D makes players casual about death and mutilation.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
Personally I never give the torch to the guy who needs two hands to operate his weapon.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
Amen brother

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:21 AM »

Just you wait.  I'm drafting another fanboy tirade.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »
Links to referenced games?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 12:59:51 AM »

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
Here's the other game too: http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=37861&date=1249653552

If anyone wants to view these games, just register on Role Play Online, (www.rpol.net), send me your username, and I'll grant you Lurker rights. Be warned, if you might eventually play in one of these scenarios, there are spoilers abound!
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:47 PM »
I'm amazed your players even know about Speak with Dead. My players general reaction to a lack of information is to start breaking things with their weapons.

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
Generally my parties run away from anything we can't easily understand...

(see anecdote - "The Mist")

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
This little anecdote is about how sometimes the DM is too good of a story teller...

Our brave band of merry folk, having defeated several challenges that faced us, were feeling quite good about ourselves. We had defeated a couple of sub-bosses and uncovered some of the larger plot (at least we thought we had) and were on our way on the next leg of our adventure.

We were merely travelling from point A to point B at this time, with nothing planned by us in between. The next part of our quest awaited us in a defined place (at least to our characters) and we were promptly heading there by the most direct route - which happened to be a main road between two towns. We started feeling ill about something in the environment, but even in our alerted state, we could detect nothing.

We travelled on several more hours and were getting near dark. This is when most groups of adventures would pull of the road at a safe place and make camp. So we started to look for a good place. We noticed a road heading north into a small valley, and with the sun setting decided this might be a good place. Except when we reached the road, our eerie feellings intensified and we looked up the road to see... mist.

Our nature savvy ranger decided that a good roll would be able to tell us whether this mist was a natural occurrence based on the prevailing wether conditions or something else. He rolled rather well and it was determined that this could not possibly be "normal" mist.

It was getting dark. Our options were limited. But there might be xp down that misty trail...

Or there might also be something more sisnister than xp - the things you have to defeat to earn it.

We had defeated everything thrown at us. We weren't on a serious in-game time crunch. This should be a piece of cake. A no-brainer decision.

And we definitely fit that description.

It was clear from the description that our DM had given us that this was some serious mist.

So we ran away.

From mist.

And the DM took a pile of papers from behind his screen and promptly threw them over his shoulder.

Most PC's at least look at what is out there before making the decision to cut and run... heck, some of them even get into the fights that are over their heads. We need no such lessons - we clearly know when we are outmatched...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
Post your neckbeard-est anecdotes here

Don't post separate anecdote threads now

Nuncle

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • T.B. Photography
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Greetings All!
     Diggin' the podcast Ross/Tom/Cody/et al. Just caught up with the latest one today so thought I'd post my player's silliness for your amusement! This is a example of how player greed can overcome anything resembling common sense...
     I run between 6-8 players in a 3.5 game. They are all at 6th level right now. Because of player consensus, that's where we started the campaign. Some of them are not terribly experienced in running mid to high level characters, but they all wanted to try it, so who am I to say no?  ;D
     In this world, the characters avenged the death of a powerful, good sphinx, so in return they were awarded his treasure; in which was a Deck of Many Things. Some of the players knew what it was at first, some didn't. But, in game, they did research and found out what it could do. They also found out it was created by the god of Chaos and Trickery, Dodeca (very important).
     Once the characters discovered what it was I told them out-of-game "If you decide to use it, we will abide by whatever you draw...in other words, if you die or are otherwise fucked, you're fucked" So they knew the risks. But of course I knew they wouldn't be able to resist drawing at least one card...heh heh!  ;)
     Sure enough, Krugg, the half-orc barbarian, finally talks the rest of the party into letting him draw. So they lock him in their room at the inn all by himself with the deck and tell him to go ahead, while they cover their asses outside the room! :)
     So I lay out all the cards on the table and he picks one. I turn it over and...it's the Joker (Lose 10,000 XP and must draw again). I describe what happens to him and he's crushed. Then when I say "You watch as your hand moves of it's own volition to the Deck once again and you draw a second card" you should' a seen his eyes bug out!  :o
     But, this time, he totally lucks out and draws the Queen of Diamonds (Gain 1-4 wishes. I rolled in secret and it comes up two wishes). So I caution the other players to say nothing and tell him "You feel as though you can ask for anything and it will be granted to you...what do you say?" He says "Umm...20,000 experience points?"
     At this point, I take a little pity on him and decide that even though what he actually said was totally a metagame statement, I'll assume his character worded it properly. So he gets back what he lost and a little more. Now he's totally stoked and feeling great. So when I tell him "The power is still there...what do you say?" He shouts out "I want money!"
     All the other players just look at him.
     Now remember, all the characters knew who created the deck. They also know their current quest is to find this dungeon in which is secreted a horribly evil book they must retrieve. Said book is also being guarded by a big bad demon. So there's all sorts of things he could've wished for to help.
     So Krugg wishes...and a single, solitary gold piece appears on the floor before him.
     The other players give him a rash of shit for about the next hour.
     So I guess the moral of the story is...Be Careful What You Wish For... ::)
     Sorry...couldn't resist that...heh heh!
                  Tony(me)
"The Meek shall inherit the Earth...while the Strong escape to the Stars..."

IDaMan008

• Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
     At this point, I take a little pity on him and decide that even though what he actually said was totally a metagame statement, I'll assume his character worded it properly. So he gets back what he lost and a little more. Now he's totally stoked and feeling great. So when I tell him "The power is still there...what do you say?" He shouts out "I want money!"
     All the other players just look at him.
     Now remember, all the characters knew who created the deck. They also know their current quest is to find this dungeon in which is secreted a horribly evil book they must retrieve. Said book is also being guarded by a big bad demon. So there's all sorts of things he could've wished for to help.
     So Krugg wishes...and a single, solitary gold piece appears on the floor before him.
     The other players give him a rash of shit for about the next hour.
     So I guess the moral of the story is...Be Careful What You Wish For... ::)
     Sorry...couldn't resist that...heh heh!
                  Tony(me)

Ouch, man. I hope the player used that gold piece to buy his character a beer, because after that shit, he'd need it.

Post your neckbeard-est anecdotes here

Even though I shaved today, is my neckbeard still there in spirit?