Author Topic: Dark Heresy / Coddowalshagoth Tips needed  (Read 9084 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Dark Heresy / Coddowalshagoth Tips needed
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »
Fore Xmas I managed to gift myself a Copy of Dark Heresy And it turns out the day my Group wants me to run it falls into Coddowalshagoth week. I was wondering if anyone had any flavor/filler ideas that could use for the cult . The current format I am going for is and adaptaton of Mysteries of Mesoamerica but on a primal world for the players. Any tips would be welcomed.

Edit The group is 2 arbiters an Assassin and a tech priest
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:19:50 PM by KallMeKip »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Dark Heresy / Coddowalshagoth Tips needed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
do you mean the well of sacrifices scenario I ran at Gencon?

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
Somthing along those lines. I heard the acutal play and bought the book but my players wanted to try Dark heresy Instead of Coc.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
The Plot was going to be the players were being sent to investigate the ruins and destory any potential occult material. During investigation they find out that the ruins are still in use and they have to investigate further. And i has to have Coddowalshagoth in it at some point due to the time I am running it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »
Well you've got a great Coddowalshagoth start using something like the Well of Sacrific. I'm not sure about the other adventures in the book but one of the big themes we've established is that Coddowalshagoth's cult creates pits and throws their sacrifics into these pits while still digging them deeper. The exact reasons for this haven't been fully explored.

Are the bodies removed from the pit somehow? Are they destoryed? Is there something in the pit that eats the bodies and digs in deeper?

In 40K you have the wonderful spread of mutants, aliens, and demons in the book along with tables to create your own.

I'd recommend considering the use of Daemonettes, Horrors, and Plaguebearers as enemies, depending on the power of your players. For an entry level party, one or two of those monsters is likely to prove a deadly threat.

As a personal suggestion, I think you should involve Locke as a Dark Eldar who may have planted the seeds of the cult. In a savage world Eldar would be more or less unknown and while clearly alien he would be 'human' enough to keep cultists in line, since they're likely insane anyway.

If you want to have something real to hit the players with, in the end game, than boil up a Daemonhost. I think even a Thrice Bound would do well to scare the shit out of players, especially if you play up the corruption of Coddowalshagoth.

As for general themes, incourage the players to fear blood. Blood is a transporter of so many horrible things. You should keep the blood contained with pits or tubes or glass walls, like even the cultists want to protect themselves from it. Make it clear that contact with blood is going to lead to a bad end and don't be afraid to call for Corruption Tests for players who contact contaminated blood.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
I know the assassin has sticky fingers so I am sure that will come into play  at some point.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »
There's a fun one to work with. If you know a player is going to try and steal something, give him something easy to steal that's important to the plot later on. Maybe it's something that will cause a problem later or may it's something that will solve a problem later. In either case, the players had no idea the object was significant but it got brought along and they'll know exactly who to blame (or thank) when the time comes.

Coddowalshagoth doesn't have any siginificantly linked object or items at present but you can always make something up. Carapace is a good way to start. Infact, having cult members wear carapace armor colored blue or brown (because lobsters are only red after they get cooked and all) is a nice link and fairly subtle as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:21:23 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »
K Thanks all the tips. The only other angel I can think of is that one of my players is  mind cleasned witch gives me some fun angles to work with. (If the oneshot can spread to a campaing I am going to try and have a side plot for each character).
In general are dark heresy characters more fragile than Coc charcter when they first start out? This will be my first time runnning Dark heresy

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:31:03 AM »
They get fate points so they can avoid at least a few lethal encounters so yeah but it's still pretty brutal on PCs.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »
Thats good. This will be run for my  3.5 dnd group because My coc group wants to stick with what i have been running for the past month. So it will be intresting to see how they do When they are not gods amongst mortals. Plus for once i wont have to deal with ric playing his kender.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:57 AM »
Well you've got a great Coddowalshagoth start using something like the Well of Sacrific. I'm not sure about the other adventures in the book but one of the big themes we've established is that Coddowalshagoth's cult creates pits and throws their sacrifics into these pits while still digging them deeper. The exact reasons for this haven't been fully explored.

Don't forget the "inverted-towers" idea ;D

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
When your Assassin goes from 11 Wounds to 5 in one claw swipe and realizes he probably won't get those Wounds back this session, yeah, it'll start to sink in. If your TechPriest has Medicae and a high Intellegence Trait than the players could except to recover two or three wounds from a fight. But once you leave Light Wounds regained Wounds drop down to like one per healing attempt.

And remember to stress that getting 'healed' by a TechPriest hurts like a motherfucker. He works with wire and staples after all.

Oh right, the Inverted-Towers. That refers to the idea of there being a series of pits which interconnect and have things around the edges. I had to use the reference but if you think of Zion from the Matrix movies without all the crosswalks between the sides of the pit, that's what your aiming for, but with randomly placed holes that feed into, or out of, other similar pits.

Use those holes. They give you the option of literally raining things down on your players.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »

Use those holes. They give you the option of literally raining things down on your players.

That's what she said.

Sorry Tad :P
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
This whole thing is making me seriously consider something I mentioned as a joke in the fan club thread: The Tome of Coddowalshagoth. Be a good idea to pull together some stuff after the contest, maybe even make a PDF.